Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Genelec 8260A is a top-shelf FAST monitor. You guys call it a WAW, I think.

Genelec has been a benchmark in studio monitoring for decades, at least in Europe.
I worked with several of their smaller nearfield monitors in the past.

I may not be a 'nearfield type of guy', but I remember at the end of the day I was glad to switch those tiresome little ...kers off.

Last edited:
That's not to discredit the Genelecs, because I know they are good.

It's a personal thing. I'm not a fan of nearfield monitoring in general and I'm not a fan of headphones either.
90% of the time I play tracks (DJ-ing) without headphones.

You must have a well designed room? Or at least a pleasant sounding one, if you are not doing any mixing/mastering

One of the allures of horns was the idea that I could increase my sound quality by decreasing the rooms feedback via the directionality of the horn.

Its been 2 months today since I put in my order to Acoustic Elegance, I sent an email to verify if another email would be sent, along with tracking information, when the time comes.

Last edited:
It's a 'lively room' with natural damping here and there.

When producing I tend to sit further away from the monitors.

Horns are a great means to deal with room effects.
Ideally, you want horns fullrange and that's what I'll switch to in the future.

I'll probably end up with giant headphones ;)

Last edited:
In view of the Monitor 8.12, there are a number of interesting smaller details.

The top is closed and the bass bin is BR (inverted fase), rear ported and tilted backwards by 5°.

Quote:
"The manufacturer claims it makes the following acoustic sense:
  • Better coupling of woofer to floor which ‘repurposes’ the latter as a quasi bass horn.
  • At typical listening distances both woofer and coax aim at the ear to better approach a single sound source and continue the coaxial point-source idea.
  • Since the woofer fires upward a bit, its acoustic center coincides with that of the coax to invoke the usual key words of time alignment,
    phase coherence and minimized group delay."

While there's some marketing BS blended in the above statement, I personally also prefer a rear ported BR cab. Even more so with bigger cabinets.

Attachments

• 8.12 Sideview.png
    8.12 Sideview.png
    128.2 KB · Views: 412
  • 8.12 Port.jpg
    8.12 Port.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
The 8.12's woofer works to 150Hz, the coax’s midrange to 1.800Hz and the compression driver above. This applies to the 8.12 MK2, in which the SICA coaxial has been replaced by a Beyma unit (more on this later).

Butterworth and Bessel filters are used with electrical 12dB/octave slopes. Together with the mechanical driver roll-off this resluts in an acoustic 4th-order, which the manufacturer fancies for minimized driver overlap and good impulse response.

"The 25cm hard-hung paper diaphragm is mounted in an 80-liter enclosure.
The Manufacturer cites desirable room coupling to advice against free room placement. Half to a full meter of front wall proximity is optimal says he; and that it really doesn't sound like bass reflex. Particularly the low bass works better with rear ports as the speaker then acts as quasi bipole to make room modes less critical"

This quote, again, includes some bold claims. However, I tend to agree with the statement regarding the sound.

Last edited:
As stated, for the 8.12 Mk2, the SICA 8 C 2 CP was replaced with the Beyma 8CX300Nd.
There's no doubt this is a higher end coax driver. I am not convinced it's actually 250% better.

Personally, I don't like the thick roll surround, even less for this coax. Together with the CONEX spider the Santoprene™surround contributes to the rather low Fs of 57Hz. This is useful for a small stand alone coax design, but unnecessary for the Monitor 8.12.

Member mtg90 of avsforum developed a custom XO for the Beyma which, judging from the graphs, looks promising (the 5th & 6th image shows the results).

Again, if I would clone the Monitor 8.12 Mk2, I wouldn't use the Eminence for woofer duties.
Some may consider this useless fetish/OCD, but I tend to choose drivers from the same manufacturer, especially if woofers are concerned.
My current system is a mixture of brands, so perhaps I am not that freaky?
Wrong!
With roll surrounds in the coaxes, there should be roll surrounds in the woofers as well.
Which is convenient, because Beyma offers a few of such 12" woofers that could potentially transform the 8.12 clone into a (near) fullrange system.
The Beyma 12B100R is similar to the older JBL pro woofers with foam roll srrounds.

Attachments

• 8.12mk2_Collage.jpg
    8.12mk2_Collage.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 382
  • 8.12 New Coax_Mk2.png
    8.12 New Coax_Mk2.png
    408.5 KB · Views: 367
  • beyma_12b100r.jpg
    beyma_12b100r.jpg
    745.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Beyma_12BR70_Pagina_2.jpg
    Beyma_12BR70_Pagina_2.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 94
  • Beyma_12BR70_Pagina_1.jpg
    Beyma_12BR70_Pagina_1.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 112
  • off axis new crossover.png
    off axis new crossover.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 20 degree response + w&t new.png
    20 degree response + w&t new.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 8CX300ND_Pagina_2.jpg
    8CX300ND_Pagina_2.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 8CX300ND_Pagina_1.jpg
    8CX300ND_Pagina_1.jpg
    601.8 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
Another nice coaxial, used in one of the latest products of the same manufacturer, is this Oberton 8NMB250VCX.

Attachments

• Monitor 10SL_Mod.png
    Monitor 10SL_Mod.png
    685.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Oberton_8NMB250VCX_(Photo).jpg
    Oberton_8NMB250VCX_(Photo).jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Oberton_8NMB250VCX_(Frequency_response).png
    Oberton_8NMB250VCX_(Frequency_response).png
    291.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Well if the beaming and directivity with a 26" jmlc horn is as they say, then it should be a notable difference versus a dynamic driver, specifically starting at the range you speak of.

Way more, but if the back of the room [the DE part of LEDE = live end/dead end] isn't diffuse/well damped it's these very late reflections that's going to provide the feedback.

GM