Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Attachments

• pair-rcf-cx15n351-15-coaxial-speakers_1.jpg
    pair-rcf-cx15n351-15-coaxial-speakers_1.jpg
    659.1 KB · Views: 361
What I can't understand is all the effort in that enclosure shape an then the horn is mounted to the backside of the baffle in a way that does definitely cause diffraction. This is one more hint showing that with high-end expensive looks are sometimes more important than technically correct construction.

Regards

Charles

Appearance definitely dominates technology here.
Compared to this, the Strauss SE-MF-2 is a bargain that offers tremendous value for money.

He mounted the horn in such way the screws and woofer recesses aren't visible.

Last edited:
Thank you daemon, all I want is a tweeter that I can use down to 200Hz. Is it too much to ask?

There's much ado now, with patents and stuff. So it's time to keep common sense locked in. I don't want a coax that pretends to be better than an equivalent multiple entry horn that I could build myself.

Did you consider the Axi2050?

I must admit, there's at least one high end brand that offers unique technology that doesn't have a common sense equivalent. Evidently, this comes with its own set of requirements and compromises. Money is one, the (optimal) room in which it should be used is another.
On top of this, these things need huge amounts of power.

xtreme2.jpg

Compared to this, the Strauss SE-MF-2 is a bargain that offers tremendous value for money.

Even though I find the Strauss monitors on the rather expensive side they are indeed a bargain compared to the Tobians. The box itself is acoustically dead and about twice as heavy as the Tobian. And the TAD 1601 alone costs more than all the drivers and x-over components of the Tobian together.

Regards

Charles

do you have any info/experience with DCX464 vs 4594nd for HIFI?

"Compression drivers are the linchpin of a PA system: operating at wavelengths too small to readily couple with other drivers, they alone have to fight distance and atmospheric losses to deliver concert sound pressure levels to ever larger audiences.
Enter the DCX464 coaxial ring radiator, designed from scratch to advance the state of the art. The DCX464’s midrange diaphragm covers 300Hz – 5.5kHz with 110dB sensitivity, and its 100mm voice coil handles 220 watts. The 64mm coil high frequency diaphragm covers 3 – 18kHz with 112.5dB sensitivity and handles 160 watts. A patent pending midrange integrator allows both diaphragms to work in harmony over a wide bandwidth, for greater combined output and crossover flexibility. All this energy arrives at a 1.4” throat, from the most compact package that can be designed today."

Cool project Mark!
I bet that sub will shake the walls big time.

The directivity of the 15CXN88 isn't bad at all, given the lack of a horn.

Thank you sir !

I run two of those subs for stereo, and yeah, light fixtures have been known to fall off the ceiling, wine glasses jump across the counter, etc etc,.

But sometimes when I really want some bass, I augment them with some JTR Orbitshifters or Labhorns....then all hell breaks loose inside (literally)
I once saw some intense sound jerk open a kitchen cabinet, adjacent to the big listening room, and pluck a single champagne glass out on to the floor....while a dozens of other glasses/objects didn't seem to move any. Like watching waves crash into stuff.

Hence why I said at the beginning of this thread, I just don't see a two-way cutting it :D

I live on a big lake where folks are accustomed to a bit of noise, that... and great neighbors who love seeing me enjoy audio so much. Never stay loud long....

The foamboard waveguide shown in the previous pict still isn't working the way I've hoped.
So right now I'm using the driver flush mounted in the same box, same ports etc....
Raw low and high plots are below,
along with a processed trace using a miniDSP PWR-ICE 250 plate amp. Oh, and I highpass steep at 100Hz....

Attachments

• coax raw low and high.JPG
    coax raw low and high.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 404
  • coax proc.JPG
    coax proc.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 401
I guess, bass, like driving at high speed on the German Autobahn, is addictive. The latter I did for my job until about 14 years ago, often on a weekly basis. Once you go faster than say 250 km/h (the electronic speed limit effective in many German cars, the result of a gentleman's agreement) it becomes very hard to estimate your velocity without looking at the speedo.
The difference between 260 and 300 km/h feels insignificant compared to 120 and 160 km/h.

Bass below 40Hz increasingly becomes a physical experience, which also appeals to primal urges.
I remember going to club Berghain in the early days. At that time it was the only club that had the Funktion One Double Infrahorn.
I've seen people getting sick in the vicinity of it. Others, primarily men, couldn't get enough of the (cardiac) massage it provided.

Last edited:
Just discovered another quite new speaker / company - not the design - in the sense of this thread a 2-way concept:

Sunshipaudio

It seems that hifi prices have generally developed in another league compared to some years ago...

Sad that so many 2 ways with no innovation are sold in audio. Gee, you cloned someone's horn and are using TAD? Such a value-add to the industry.