Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Exactly.
After tasting some MTM honey, even with a horn-loaded dome tweeter, it's hard to go back to regular TM or TMM systems.
Some (potential) lobing and cancellation issues are dwarfed by the advantages of the vertical embedding of the mid/high section by woofers and the coupling with the room (at 70% of the floor-ceiling height).
The PM60, designed for live sound is a remarkably clean MTM, imo. Uses two 12" horn loaded mid-lows down to 100Hz, and CD on XT1464 horn, crossed around 650Hz. It's what got me started with all the DIY stuff ! https://soundforums.net/community/threads/60-degree-diy-mid-hi-aka-pm60.12390/

The PM60, designed for live sound is a remarkably clean MTM, imo. Uses two 12" horn loaded mid-lows down to 100Hz, and CD on XT1464 horn, crossed around 650Hz. It's what got me started with all the DIY stuff ! https://soundforums.net/community/threads/60-degree-diy-mid-hi-aka-pm60.12390/
That PM60, Paul W's Raptor, and some of your and other's words helped me decide to use the XT1464 horn.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?35812-The-Raptor-a-10-quot-MTM&p=492591#post492591
Paul W also uses the Radian 951Be is his Octagon 2.0 design:
http://www.paulwav.com/octagon-2-0.html
I'd love to hear more from him on his use of the Radian 951 with it's negative 7deg exit angle. I'm using the PB version with the XT1464 horns. Project still in progress...

Last edited:
CTC distance looks also really high on the Wilsons.

Regards

Charles
CTC distance could be improved, indeed.

The more I learn about acoustics and loudspeaker technology, the more obvious it becomes that a loudspeaker system is actually a composition of numerous trade-offs.
On forums that are mainly focused on technology and science, a typical (programmed) human characteristic becomes evident: being blinded by, or, having blind faith in science.
An example to avoid an endless disquisition: There are countless loudspeaker systems that meet certain technical/scientific ideals: optimal (polar) response, low distortion figures, etc., that nevertheless cause headaches, and or fail to enchant you by the music.
Often these characteristics may even be desirable, eg studio monitoring. In this case, loudspeakers are tools; instruments for the production of music.

As for Wilson Audio, the only achievement that inspires me in the long history of the brand, are the 4 brAun Output C mini-monitors in the original WAMM, as well as the concept of the original Wilson Tiny Tot (Watt) with the SEAS CA 17 RCY midwoofer that was developed by Jan Paus.
Compare the cones, dustcaps and surrounds with those of the ScanSpeak woofers in later Wilson products.

CES-2014-WAMM-Room-poster-history1.jpg
Output C.jpg
Wilson-Audio-Specialities-Heritage-Mod.jpg

Last edited:
Toole and I agree on at least 2 very important aspects that are often ignored and dismissed:
1. There are limits to (his) knowledge
2. Personal preferences ultimately play a decisive role, not least because personal circumstances (room conditions, etc.) can strongly deviate from 'scientific conditions'.

Last edited:
I think it's important to remember that Toole was searching for the mean of consumer preference.
I'm not sure the mean of consumer preference translates to accurate/linear acoustic amplification.

I view his work as more of a statistical marketing study, rather than a scientific study of accurate loudspeakers.
But folks want to see his work as saying "this is what makes for an accurate loudspeaker."
I don't buy it......

Anyway, just my 2c

To avoid misunderstandings, I have nothing against science, as I have an academic background myself.

My starting point is: What is (the relevant) science with regard to a certain topic?
For instance, many people believe that virology is a science. In that case, a universe of wisdom can be gathered, whereby the level of abstraction determines the value of the insights to be obtained.

"The horn does play a big role. With that said. Even on the giant 2360A the Axi2050 still runs out of gas due to diaphragm displacement limitations near 300Hz. This isn't really seen until absurd output levels with more than 10 volts applied = REAL LOUD, so technically you could get away with a 300Hz Xo on that horn in most cases."
https://data-bass.ipbhost.com/topic...pression-driver/?do=findComment&comment=24944

I did build an MTM a few decades ago. Floor standing. Resistive vent. Used Dynaudio drivers. 17W75 woofers; and a D28 tweeter - the dome with the horn. They were very good. No low bass, but lot's of slam.

It is probably no coincidence that I also have quite a bit of experience with Dynaudio. During my hi-fi years I've owned several Dynaudio loudspeakers of the Contour series and Crafft monitors. In addition, I have bought Dynaudios on behalf of customers and friends.

In the 80s and 90s Dynaudio became known for the quality of the drivers. The vintage drivers are still sought after by hobbyists today. Judging by the (attached) spec sheets of the drivers that you've used, it becomes clear why.

However, my eyes (or rather: ears) were opened when I experienced 'high sensitivity' loudspeaker systems at the beginning of this millennium. From that moment on, my view on loudspeaker technology changed.

Attachments

• DYNAUDIO_D28.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 134
  • DYNAUDIO_17W75.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 68
  • dynaudio_variovent.pdf
    176.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited: