Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

On this topic though. it would appear we can get somewhat close with a 2 way, with gargantuan effort, but is it really better than a 3 way?, or 4.2 (2 x 2-ways, with 2 subs) , which is the system (DSP driven) i'm building myself right now. Not insignificantly because I can build the 2 ways and then the 2 subs at a later date.

What represents the state of the art in 2 ways today? it would seem some of the best measuring—and from reports, sounding—speakers today, are DSP driven 3-4 ways posing as 2 ways.

Last edited:
Allrighty then.

Well the pro of having less driver mass is easy:

Less force needed to move the cone = less force on the driver = less force on the enclosure.
This means a lot less movement of the speaker enclosure, be it in harmony with the driver (cone moving forward, enclosure moving backward), or out of harmony (in one of its own colorful resonances).

Does having half the mass mean the force will be half as well? In that case that's a potential 6dB difference. Quite a lot if you ask me.

I'm tired of debating with Fourier deniers so no waltz with me - sorry.

//

Denying?
Nobody is denying here, I am certainly not.

But what is happening, is people refusing and neglecting to answer counter questions.
Or use any other proper and respectful form of argumentation.
Which I find rather odd for people with so much knowledge and experience.

What is the outcome of a sine wave with crossover distortion when being sampled with only 2 samples?

A sine plus aliases (I assume you know what those are, and how they look in the time and frequency domains <*>).

That's because someone was dumb enough not to consider the sine + crossover distortion signal spectra when decided to use 2 samples per sine period, then looking at the re-constructed result and comparing with the original.

<*> Since I realize you may not, here's a trivial example on how the original and the re-constructed sine signal of frequency 0...Fs look, when sampled at a frequency of Fs. Checking at least Wikipedia could save you some embarrassment.

FFT_aliasing_600.gif

This is my last attempt.

Last edited:
Blokes - perhaps you might take this OT discussion about digital sampling to the appropriate part of the forum so we can get back to the wonderful world of woofers and waveguides please?

Yeah, and screw the required basic knowledge required to understand the wonderful world of woofers and waveguides. Nyquist and Fourier are for nerds and wusses only, real men don't need 'em.

Square wave shmare wave

Obviously you didn't.

But since you obviously are so extremely smart it most be a an absolute piece of cake for you to explain us and share all your knowledge how one can construct a square wave with only two 2 points from a direct signal (so no averaging, or random sampling techniques).

What does a 22Khz square wave sound like?

A sine plus aliases (I assume you know what those are, and how they look in the time and frequency domains).

That's because someone was dumb enough not to consider the sine + crossover distortion signal spectra when decided to use 2 samples per sine period, then looking at the re-constructed result and comparing with the original.
Or in other words, a signal that doesn't represent the original signal anymore.

The whole point with data acquisition, is that you don't know what you can expect.
With audio there is no difference.

So that doesn't have anything to do with the fact that somebody was "dumb" (also nice way of describing people fyi).
It's a property of the system.

Why I am saying this?
Well some people here in this topic said that you could "perfectly reconstruct a sine wave with just two samples".

Second is that you don't know how it will be constructed, since you don't know what the original signal was to begin with.
Could be a sine wave with some additional blips, could be a perfect sine wave, could be slightly distorted/compressed sine wave etc.
This is especially true for audio.

Anyway, don't really appreciate when people say somebody is dumb, stupid, lying or unknowing, when somebody clearly is not.
Seen your post history, seems to be a thing that a lot of other people also don't really appreciate.
The only person who can be embarrassed is yourself in that regard.
Your choice to be disrespectful to people.

As for off-topic, this whole topic seems to be literally non-stop off-topic anyway?
It's all over the place and not getting anywhere

Meyer Sound Bluehorn

On this topic though. it would appear we can get somewhat close with a 2 way, with gargantuan effort, but is it really better than a 3 way?, or 4.2 (2 x 2-ways, with 2 subs) , which is the system (DSP driven) i'm building myself right now. Not insignificantly because I can build the 2 ways and then the 2 subs at a later date.

What represents the state of the art in 2 ways today? it would seem some of the best measuring—and from reports, sounding—speakers today, are DSP driven 3-4 ways posing as 2 ways.

Bluehorn System | Meyer Sound

A 2-way with a 15" woofer and horn is a classic monitor solution. Many have done it, for the last 70 years. Just add subs. The Bluehorn is probably the current state of art of commercial systems like this.

A home-built, bi-amped, dsp'd, 2-way with 15" woofer and horn, is what I do...Mono subs added below 50Hz.

Last edited:
Yes, much smaller woofer for me. 1" waveguide loaded dome, 6.5" midwoofer, with 2 x 10" subs, which will probably end up crossed at 100Hz and 2.2khz. Its a compromise. I have a small abode and i'm surrounded by one of australia's most amazing birdlife reserves, so I don't tend to need to get over the noise of a city.

@b_force: have we forgotten again that we are talking about sound reproduction here? also, for someone that was so set on using a watered down definition of 'perfect' you sure do harp on about perfect descriptors ...

also, you didnt notice it was changed from 2 points, to 'any number higher than 2 points?' because it was corrected before you started mentioning it and have continued to mention it as an example another 4 or 5 times since then. dunno if you are trolling or not, if so, its juvenile. if not, its ignorant.

Last edited:
I don’t think the 18” driver in that bluehorn system is any ordinary sub. They are possibly using it more like a midbass module by crossing around 200Hz to cancel floor reflections. Also pretty sure that top module is the Acheron Designer enclosure (I assembled a couple when I worked there). At any rate, the blue horn came out after my time there but it was sure fun while it lasted.