Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

I think it's all metal, but only partially painted.

Meyer-UPA-patent-information-1024x375.png

Last edited:
Target directivity would be similar to the X-10, but due to lack of data of the horn and woofer I had in mind, this would result in too much guesswork.
For this and other reasons I've decided to delete the project proposal.

Conclusion: it's very hard to match the X-10's performance with a 2-way.

Funny isn't it?
Despite the 'worst thinkable horn sound', there's a huge diffraction slot in the Ultra-X40's horn.

Yes, it is funny :)

My guess is that Meyer wanted the horn to cross lower like so many pro designs are doing today.
That crossing lower overcomes the 'worst thinkable horn sound' :D
I'm looking forward to hearing them at Infocomm next week.

The rcf HF950 is maybe a bit similar, dunno, I'm no horn expert by any means.
But it appears to have a slot-like throat. What I do know, is that it sounds very good down to 650-700Hz.

It would be nice be able to purchase extra wide bandwidth ribbons, I digress
Jbl 2451 + aquaplas 16ohm 4” diaphragms + 26” JMLC Horn
2 AE15ms per side
I’ve got 3 cts2000 and 1 cts1200 on hand
They have on board dsp with 16 filters per channel plus some for crossover I believe
Also limiter/compressor abilities, for voltage/signal

Complete overkill in wattage ����*♂️ other wise decent quality amps though one day I’ll spring for something cleaner for the compression driver. The dsp is 48/96khz and super low latency via usp3 input modules.

I can experiment with several configuration IF I build modular or seperated woofer cabinets though I am leaning towards one big cabinet for the dual woofers running a 2 way config. IMD should be in checkfor the task. Directivity goals were based on horn choice which I finally settled for a traditional round long horn. Trying to get my hands on a pair of ejmlc’s/iwatas

Side by side woofer is pref for c-t-c but width size is impractical for the space. Verticals stacking isn’t a bad 2nd choice since the two will act as one anyway, less vertical dispersion might be a good thing

I dont want to have to use a loud speaker management type hardware to split signals, as they add latency to the signal chain so a cobra-net sound card might be next on the buy list.

Last edited:
Compared to 10 years ago, recent loudspeaker management systems have much improved digital circuits
(direct spdif, AES/EBU or network> CobraNet, Dante etc.).
It's useless to have multiple ADC/DACs in the chain, especially if your source is digital.

Last edited:
I think JBL has certainly done what the thread title states with a 2-way. Id love to be able to hear or afford the JBL 4367 as it's less complex than their M2, in as far as it's just hook up and play etc, and almost gets you to where the M2 does. By all accounts I've read a large margin are very impressed by both offerings. Great driver technology and design imo.

Compared to 10 years ago, recent loudspeaker management systems have much improved digital circuits
(direct spdif, AES/EBU or network> CobraNet, Dante etc.).
It's useless to have multiple ADC/DACs in the chain, especially if your source is digital.

Sure but having 16+ bands of eq for each channel isn't thrifty in the least. Having control over amp voltage isn't even a feature in modern dsp. The total latency is around 1ms, thats lower than my balanced minidsp and less than the majority of current dps options most can find, actually. To get near the same performance of what these USP3 input modules do, you'd spend over 1000 easy and likely still come up short.
Sure FIR filtering is nice (USP4 btw) but I don't use it on hardware because of the large latency that comes along. I do FIR filtering in the box for special applications.

So I got this stuff used but the input card only retails for over 1000/each (theres one in each amp), the step up, USP4 is like 1800. I've been searching for options for a long time, the new stuff does the same or less with a bigger sticker price. I paid 150 for each used amp with dsp, You couldn't do better for money.

Last edited:
So I got this stuff used but the input card only retails for over 1000/each (theres one in each amp), the step up, USP4 is like 1800. I've been searching for options for a long time, the new stuff does the same or less with a bigger sticker price. I paid 150 for each used amp with dsp, You couldn't do better for money.

Agreed Camplo, my comment was of a general nature.
I think you've made some excellent deals, which meet a clearly defined set of priorities/requirements.