Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

New aspect for me, how does EBP affect sound quality. It would seem high is better.
In woofers of this size the lower it is the more a driver has been biased towards bass reproduction the higher the more midrange. But it's more a function of how easily the driver will produce those frequencies rather than how well.

I did wonder but never new what his preferences was. I tend to aim for the scientific as well but I would never thought that heavy vs light would lean to be more so...I would hypothesis that each has its on pros and cons and probably leaned towards a light cone.
Earl is using the driver up 800 or 900 Hz in his designs with 15" woofers. Having a significantly extended response beyond that does not serve much purpose and makes it harder to use a passive crossover as the driver rolloff is outside the crossover region. The driver he picked is very linear within it's passband and only has one peak to be dealt with in the crossover.

Some people use the 15" drivers much higher in frequency and use the extended response, but using the driver that high will create a directivity mismatch.

Some seem to have developed a liking to the sound of drivers with certain specifications and seek them out. You might agree or not, but it is an opinion rather than a proven fact.

System design, intended frequency range, constraints of matching with other drivers etc. seem to make it hard to choose the best driver for that system solely based on how heavy the cone is.

If you had 2 woofers, one Heavy and one Light....matching BL/mass ratios, whats that do?
Marco's quote above gives a hint. One thing you will notice with drivers that have a lot of Bl is that the frequency response is tilted up and needs EQ to flatten it out. Lot's of hifi drivers have that built in to their specs to come flat out of the box.

mark100 quoted Tom Danley not that long ago maybe even here with a good explanation.

I've never given cone mass much importance. What large drivers need to do well is to handle the first few problem areas (rim resonance, cone breakup, etc.) that are inherent in these larger drivers. If the driver does that well then I'd consider it regardless of the cone mass. The LF lumped parameter variables are pretty much irrelevant to me. DSP can handle anything down at those frequencies. The sensitivity is a major factor of course as it needs to be matched to the compression driver, although with an active DSP crossover this too is pretty much irrelevant (relevant in a passive crossover however.)

G'day b_force,
When you said:

"When that data isn't available, it's very hard to say anything beforehand. But that also counts for any other speaker in general"

I got excited that your Sound Projects systems might have some insightful and usefully characterising published data.

I really appreciate JBL, Gedlee and other manufacturers that publish data and whitepapers showing what is possible in development and measurement of the final product.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a 15" woofer to best the AE 15m... Something with a similar or lighter Mmd/Mms...

Attachments

• PD.153C002.png
    PD.153C002.png
    532.7 KB · Views: 306
I like the sensitivity - but the 38Hz Fs for a driver that large is disappointing. And it has a pretty low Qts, of 0.249. The Mms is 67.14 grams.

The woofer I used in my MLTL-10 speakers, is the SB Acoustics SB23NRXS45-4, which is 92dB sensitivity, Fs 27Hz, Qts 0.3, and Mms is just 27.2 grams. I am looking for a woofer that is better - more sensitive, with the same or lower Fs and Mms, and maybe higher Qts.

The MLTL-10 speakers that I built are F3 at about 27Hz, and in room F6 is about 20Hz. I have redesigned the lower portion of the transmission line, and the F3 point should be about 25Hz; and the in room response should be better, since the terminus opening moved from the lower front corner, to the lower back corner of the cabinet.

Last edited:
I like the sensitivity - but the 38Hz Fs for a driver that large is disappointing. And it has a pretty low Qts, of 0.249. The Mms is 67.14 grams.

The woofer I used in my MLTL-10 speakers, is the SB Acoustics SB23NRXS45-4, which is 92dB sensitivity, Fs 27Hz, Qts 0.3, and Mms is just 27.2 grams. I am looking for a woofer that is better - more sensitive, with the same or lower Fs and Mms, and maybe higher Qts.

It's either/or.

38Hz Fs isn't disappointing, it's impressive.

The SB23NRXS45-4 is a typical sloppy hifi woofer > basically a mid range driver with air pump capability. An exercise in beating Hofmann's Iron Law.

This is one of the best compromises between mid range and low end. And yes, Qts is low:

Attachments

• beyma-altavoces-15P80FeN.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 96
All of those are proper mid woofers.

The 18 Sound would be an excellent partner for the ND3SN, or even the NSD1095N. It's clearly not a sub-bass monster, but goes low enough in a 140L BR cab for most music.

Attachments

• Eighteen Sound 15NMB420_140L @ 45 Hz.png
    Eighteen Sound 15NMB420_140L @ 45 Hz.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 279