Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

I am not convinced the TD15M would appreciate high SPL while boosting the low end.
I expect the 15FH500 to take such a beating better, but it doesn't need to.

Perhaps, I should relax my earlier statements with regards to Mms somewhat.

Some of my favorite 15" woofers are similar to the Eminence Legend that jzagaja introduced. These usually work very well in large cabs tuned below 40Hz.
Most drivers with similar specs, including the 15PR400 have a -6dB at around 35Hz.
However, if you like to listen at very high SPL and value authority in the 30-60Hz range, you'll be better off with a driver like the 15FH500, or 2216nd.

The driver of which I posted a response curve some pages earlier, is an example.
It has a fairly powerful motor (Bl of 18) and a very light cone (62g).
It'll do about 114dB before x-max and with only 50 Watts.
For me that's more than enough, but probably not for Camplo.
So you might or should sacrifice with regards to cone weight, because that's exactly what's needed for the authority at the low end, including the necessary excursion and motor force. At the same time you don't want to compromise regarding the midrange.

From a (personal) technical point of view, the 15FH500 is a much better compromise compared to the 2216nd > a relatively light cone (almost 40 gr less) with a considerably more powerful motor (Bl +4).
At 40% of the price of a 2216nd (in Europe) it's a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Noted! I also like the 15FH500 for many reasons, I am just trying to wrap my head around actually placing these huge enclosures in my basement.
The driver of which I posted a response curve some pages earlier, is an example.
It has a fairly powerful motor (Bl of 18) and a very light cone (62g).
It'll do about 114dB before x-max and with only 50 Watts.
I tried to find it but I found the jbl you posted instead, which driver was this by name?
Regarding the AE15M its still within xmax at 30hz and 116db. It just barely makes it in there. Every driver I mention is within 1mm xmax at 116db, forced flat freq. curve. Varying group delay but all within the 2216nd benchmark. So I still hold it high on the list, at this point, its the AE15m vs the 15FH500 16ohm version. If the Failtalpro didn't have such a gigantic enclosure, I'd have much less hesitation to decide for it.

It's an older Sica driver, not available in the US, but somewhat similar to the known midwoofers like the 15PR400, Deltalite 2515II etc.
The LEGEND BP1525 is also quite similar, except that one has a much lower Bl, but more x-max at the same cone weight.
The suspension is inherently more lossy. That's why it probably won't play as nice in the midrange.
That elevated response >700Hz could indicate this, but this remains speculation without knowing specific details about the cone, suspension and motor structure.

Last edited:
Regarding the AE15M its still within xmax at 30hz and 116db. It just barely makes it in there. Every driver I mention is within 1mm xmax at 116db, forced flat freq. curve. Varying group delay but all within the 2216nd benchmark. So I still hold it high on the list, at this point, its the AE15m vs the 15FH500 16ohm version. If the Failtalpro didn't have such a gigantic enclosure, I'd have much less hesitation to decide for it.

Probably one of the reasons why your thread is so popular, is because you're pushing the limits ;)

That horn was posted on the FB page of this company.

They also turn Tractrix horns, but I wouldn't dare to inquire about the price after reading this statement:
"Our Tractrix true horns receive 100s of hours in labor to create. Meticulous craftsmanship to deliver purity.
There is no substitute."

22886092_1131704803632521_7177750777449348805_n.jpg

;) I wanted to post that ad much earlier in the thread, but didn't consider it worthwhile because of shipment cost.
Those are probably spherical horns of some sort.
I could ask the seller, but he'll probably speaks English as well.

He also makes those of Carbon fiber:

Attachments

• Kugelwellenhörner ab 250Hz (Paar) mit 2 Zöll Anschluss NEU - 65cm_Carbon.JPG
    Kugelwellenhörner ab 250Hz (Paar) mit 2 Zöll Anschluss NEU - 65cm_Carbon.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 405
;) I wanted to post that ad much earlier in the thread, but didn't consider it worthwhile because of shipment cost.
Those are probably spherical horns of some sort.
I could ask the seller, but he'll probably speaks English as well.

He also makes those of Carbon fiber:

I seen those on eBay too, different seller, won’t ship to America. How much will shipping be I wonder? Someone somewhere in America is selling a horn I want, has to be! I asked the jmlc guy about shipping, let’s see what he says

Last edited:
The 15FH500 is probably the best of all worlds and fits your needs almost perfectly.
I would, without a doubt, prefer the 15FH500 over the TD15M.
Faital-Pro, although still a relatively young company, has established itself at the top of the (PA) market, right next to B&C.
Moreover, it has become a preferred brand for many diy folks.

in the 15 or 12in range what would be the top player if you are looking for high sensitivity but also quality? These two brands?
I know that not everything can be high/good (something has to give), but there are some woofers in the database with 99db/w, Fs35-ish but sound quality wise I dont know.