Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Bart Locanthi:

IMG_9865.jpg

On a large woofer the coil mass is small in regard to the cone mass, the Mms must be high, no?
... And for a OB configuration there is no air damping on the back of the cone, the Mms must compensate it.

There's a lot going on there, I wasn't trying to write the book on driver design for midrange vs. woofers and subs ;)

I'm afraid it's a bit more complicated.
It's not only about the mechanical and electrical parameters. In order to deal with the much higher temperatures involved, these drivers demand special materials and cooling solutions to withstand the heat.

Not necessarily having much impact on midrange viability- case in point, the shorting sleeve solution accomplishes both improvement to thermal performance as well as better midrange viability.

Last edited:
There's a lot going on there, I wasn't trying to write the book on driver design for midrange vs. woofers and subs ;)

Not necessarily having much impact on midrange viability- case in point, the shorting sleeve solution accomplishes both improvement to thermal performance as well as better midrange viability.

Yes, however in your first reply you actually refer to the other factors at play here.
I guess we're in agreement on this.
It wasn't my intention to start yet another debate, but rather to highlight implications of modern day (PA) requirements.

Last edited:
According to a German PA guy, who apparently has used a lot of LaVoce woofers, these are comparable to the known (Italian) brands.
Most DIY folks seem to like the drivers as well.

I haven't seen this (new) WAF153.02 available in shops, but it's an interesting midwoofer, with a relatively low Fs of 35Hz and double demodulation ring

1548249673_WAF153,02_Ca_PROSPETTIVA.jpg

1548240170_WAF124.02-8_graphic.jpg

Last edited:
This short thread deals with the topic.

Below a drawing (by Joseph Crowe) of a throat adapter to match the exit angle of a Radian compression driver exit angle to the throat angle of a Yuichi horn.
For Tractrix horns combined with traditional drivers, with a deep conical exit section, it may not matter all that much.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I was at that very show, and as I wrote before (post #425), "the sound seemed to come from the back of a tunnel. NOT natural or realistic AT ALL".

The snail horns where developed in the 1920's in order to obtain the highest output possible with only a few (tube amp) watts. It's interesting technology, especially the WE555 drivers that were used with these horns, but not something I would want to listen to at home.