Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

The pros and cons of MTMs are well known.

Still, this was a quite a succesful speaker:

JBL_K2_S9500.jpg

Whereas this wasn't:

K2-S7500-1.jpg

However, this was mainly due to the small price difference.

For similar reasons, a number of reviewers, apparently not yet poisoned by an overdose of mediocre high-end products, rated the 1947 WE754A monitor 'best of show' on a recent Munich High-End.

I strongly disagree on this. I have heard all of the Western Electric (or WE-inspired) systems exhibited by Silbatone at the various editions of Munich High-End in recent years, and while they surely sounded "big" and "showy", they were also invariably "coloured"...
for lack of a better simile, the sound seemed to come from the back of a tunnel. NOT natural or realistic AT ALL.
They may have been state-of-the-art in the 1930's and '40s, but today we can do MUCH better.
Sorry to burst other people's bubble, but I like to tell it like it is.

I hope the "big 2 way with car Subwoofer Sound" doesn't apply for all Ocean Way speakers.
They have their followers of whom I hope that they are not all deaf. At least their demo studio looks impressive (apart from the colour of the lighting):

HR1 Stereo – OceanWay Audio

They even have a large MTM using what looks like TAD 1601. What I don't like is that they seem to use a 1" HF Driver :

HRA – OceanWay Audio

Regards

Charles

I strongly disagree on this. I have heard all of the Western Electric (or WE-inspired) systems exhibited by Silbatone at the various editions of Munich High-End in recent years, and while they surely sounded "big" and "showy", they were also invariably "coloured"...
for lack of a better simile, the sound seemed to come from the back of a tunnel. NOT natural or realistic AT ALL.
They may have been state-of-the-art in the 1930's and '40s, but today we can do MUCH better.

It's not 'my' bubble at least ;)
Did you also listen to the WE 757A monitor?

I agree, the large snail horns WE13, 15A etc. and subsequent pre-war WE cinema speakers are severely compromised designs.
The drivers are exceptional though, even by today's standards. Especially the 594A.
If you dismiss these, you dismiss nearly every high-end compression driver, including the TADs.
However, this is not the thread to discuss vintage gear.

The post war WE757A is a completely different animal.
While it'll not deliver the extension we're used to these days, I am convinced of its technical concept,
including the KS-12027 horn, the 713C, the WE728B and the well thought out crossover.
Considering this speaker is more than 70 years old, there's no bubble to burst.
This is a landmark monitor speaker.

Last edited:
Not Quite

And this IMHO is still one of the most overlooked/undervalued aspects, even by professionals in the field.

It is the acoustic nature of the room that the system is placed in that is most over-looked parameter in loudspeaker system design. Whenever I see advertisements bearing pictures of units being tested in anechoic chambers, I get to have a chuckle yet again.

As far as "almost" is concerned, that just muddies further the already murky waters surrounding system design issues that are better addressed with clarity and as much certainty as possible.

With an unlimited budget, anyone given sufficient time, can stumble on to near-optimally performing design. However, when the mission statement includes a monitory budget, then those that have and those that have not the expertise get separated very quickly, whether or not they are armatures, professionals or both.

As I sit here composing this message, my ears are still ringing from exposure to a "professionally" designed and operated audio system even though protracted exposure was avoided by an otherwise premature venue departure.

WHG

Here's a link to a video of the WE757A demo at Munich High-End, as discussed in the reddit thread. Skip to 6:50 in this video,
if you don't want to listen to Joe Roberts explanation.
The music is not everybody's cup of tea, the microphone (postition) not optimal, but it's good enough to get an impression.

Here's another video in which the innards of the 757A are revealed.

Last edited:
Here's a link to a video of the WE757A demo at Munich High-End, as discussed in the reddit thread. Skip to 6:50 in this video,
if you don't want to listen to Joe Roberts explanation.
The music is not everybody's cup of tea, the microphone (postition) not optimal, but it's good enough to get an impression.

Here's another video in which the innards of the 757A are revealed.

Even through headphones I'm becoming more and more convinced I'm interested in that big baffle, big woofer sound. Not bass, just those dynamics.

It would be interesting to develop a slightly modified and modernized version of those KS-12027s.

Some Russians have pursued a similar goal.

The KS-12027 is a more advanced multicellar horn, compared to this clone of an earlier WE design .

Attachments

• Multicell Horn for free space system (300hz -Up).jpg
    Multicell Horn for free space system (300hz -Up).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 355
  • TDA-AUDIO, Multy_Cell-Horn_2.jpg
    TDA-AUDIO, Multy_Cell-Horn_2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 347
  • NjXoFGUh.jpg
    NjXoFGUh.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:

WE speakers sound horrible for who dislike the sound of WE sparkers. ;)