Iron Pre Essentials Kits For The DIYA Store - Register Your Interest

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ok, mind blown. Awesome build by the way!!

Balanced inputs mean SE or Balanced out can be used (or both at same time?)

SE inputs, then only SE outputs can be used?

I may need some help understsnding what works here. I think I've gone cross-eyed temporarily.
Sigh. I knew you'd catch me out with something.

I was under the impression (!!) that those two items weren't required when using Frank's stuff and 5V relays.

Back to the soldering board...

first post is having it all; if not written, then linked to where it is written in first post

Thanks ZM! Most of it all makes sense. I just have to put some effort into the SE input to Balance output idea. I'm sure it's just my lack of knowledge getting in the way. I'll get there eventually. My desire to "want to know now" needs to give way to patient study, empirical practice, and dedicated absorption of understanding.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2019
Paid Member
From earlier... or another thread...

How K6 works SE to Balanced.jpg

Joined 2003
Paid Member
One day (last December!) IAIMH asked for volunteers to build the SMD version of the Iron Pre, and I said (screamed), “Pick me!” I think I was supposed to hustle, but I had to acquire transformers and then I had some scope creep and then I messed up the first rear panel and so on. But here it is. It has CineMags, Frank Wilker’s MUSES solution (here and here) and a too-big Antek transformer. Making lemonade out of my ordering lemons is a hallmark of my DIY audio experience.

Building it went really well. I’m pretty sure I screwed something up and had to re-do it, but I’ll be darned if I can remember what it was. Setting the operating voltage, the current and DC offset was straightforward and without issue.

It sounds fantastic, and I'm very happy that I purchased Frank's MUSES setup. Gianluca was, as always, exceedingly accommodating with my half-baked chassis ideas. Big, big thanks to all involved.
Who is Frank and where do I get his muse?
Thanks in advance. I want one on this Iron Pre!

Russellc50

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2003
Paid Member
@frankwilker is the member who developed an excellent Muses volume solution. See: https://www.audio-perfect.de/IronPre.en.html

The Muses solution is very cost effective solution. It's easy to install although you need to develop a solution for the display in the front panel. @Gianluca has helped members with that. See post IAIMH post #3,326 . I posted a photo that shows the boards in #2,891 .
One very small problem, I already have the case in hand! May have to get new faceplate, I need to consider options, but putting it in faceplate seems the obvious choice.

Russellc

See previous posts... ;)

Balanced Iron Pre can do...

SE in SE out
SE in Bal out
Bal in Bal out
Bal in SE out

Neatest trick is SE in to TRUE balanced / differential out.

See schematic and K6 => neat routing of signal through signal transformer for SE.
Based on this, I think my interest has shifted towards the balanced version. I assume the single ended version is simpler, but would love to have option/capability to play around with balanced stuff in the future!

Reactions: 1 users