Iron Pre Essentials Kits For The DIYA Store - Register Your Interest

I don't even know how to find build guides, can't see link to that Forum section at all
IMG_9657.jpeg

Zm reading a build guide for one of his designs 😂

Reactions: 1 user
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
frankly - have no luck with those even when checking, prior to publishing

Patrick IAIMH sent me a link to future Aleph J build guide in progress, I couldn't log in even if I should

then he did some magic poke and I could

later I couldn't go through same link

all in all - it seems build guides and Mighty Moi are in different realms - we somehow know for each other but nada of touching bases

anyway, what's important ...... I'm good with math books in general explaining the things soldering cleaning after soldering beach stretching

Joined 2010
Paid Member
^

In my young professional career I was tasked to writing a procedure to execute the tests that I had written.

It went like this ( my bold font )

(45) Turn switch 3 to the ON position
QA_____
(46) Verify that status indicator light 9 is lit
QA____
(55) Turn switch 3 to the OFF position
QA____
(56) Verify that status indicator light 9 is unlit
QA____

At that time, we'd have tech writers do the actual write up... so it kept coming back ( twice )..as

(46) Verify that status indicator light 9 is lighted
(56) Verify that status indicator light 9 is unlighted

This went on and on for like twice until I got a memo ( no email then ) from the tech writer that the DOD didn't use lit/unlit, they used lighted/unlighted.

So I rewrote it ( and it got published!! )

(56) Verify that status indicator light 9 is delighted

The DOD has no sense of humor, but I'm sure my tech writer and editor did...;)

NOTE It's 8V, not 5V

Joined 2010
Paid Member
^ Hmm.... Peer Reviews can be brutal though.

(more than) A few times I felt like I was tossing pearls to swine.

"What the he!! is wrong with these fools?" I swear that TA'ing the Physical Science class (1) was easier. (2)

(1) We called it Fysiks for Fools. It was hard... how do you teach Physics to people who barely got past Trig and Algebra 2? We had to teach it to them via limits and slowly move into calculus, and explain what trigonometry is good for, to those who stayed for the 2nd semester.

(2) OTOH, I always volunteered for that class because it was loaded with awesome young ladies from the Physical Therapy Dept.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
:spin:

beach stretchers are the clue

of same importance as towels

as they said

• " Looking good Billy Ray!"
  • " Feeling good, Louis!"

I honestly, don't get it.

Never noticed the beach towels.

I think that was a '79 Veuve Cliquot.

In the USA we really don't have those dinky little jacuzzis. That was the export version of the movie... over here we have big jacuzzis.... and even when the lots are small.. like where I live, I built a roof top deck to hold our pool!

Alek! Please bring us the '15 La Grand Dame... hold the beluga, it's just not good enough for the wine.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Alek-

Stock brokers in Wall Street are yankees indeed.

But the rest of us, are not.. Do you consider the likes of the West Coast people to be Yankees (OK, it's true that San Francisco and Santa Monica have too many Yankee -North East Coast- immigrants)

Have no fear, in a land of fine sparkling wines, we still love overpriced power cables hoses and this...

1711082004859.png

In the USA, land of overzealous lawyers, I'm surprised sparkling wine bottles are not festooned with all kinds of warning labels and some sort of fool proof opening mechanism. Maybe you want to write the User's Manual...

Oh wait... incredible, I grew up opening cava bottles, since the time I was 7 years old! But not in the USA.... amazing! I mean, it's like obvious... that even a thirsty 7 year old can figure it out.

https://vervewine.com/blogs/the-blog/how-to-properly-open-sparkling-wine

"Toni... abre el Freixenet!"

Note, in the Iberian languages there is no female nickname for "Anthony". All "Toni" are males.

Last edited:
I should add that as many of you know, this is my second build of the Iron Pre, though there are some differences between the two builds. That is what this post is about. I am not going to get this completely correct, but the first build ended up using a board that I got from IAINMH. You know, that guy builds for the same reasons that pretty much all of us do. Because we can. Anyway, this board that he had for sale was maybe his first build of the Iron Pre. It used some SMD parts, but the rest really looked the same. I just couldn't directly compare the sound of each board and ended up selling the first build. The customer is incredibly impressed with the unit, and that is why I do this stuff.

Now you are all wondering if I have noticed a difference anyway when running the first circuit or the second, as I made the initial chassis and then had both circuits in it at different times. What I think that I heard was a more open sound in the second (present) board that I am going to use when this build is wired up. The transistors used are not SMD, and really that is about all that I know. Pretty easy to say that this pre will always be around for two reasons. First to be in my system, switching back and forth between it and other equipment, and #2, no one would pay the price required for me to consider selling it.
The first build sold for cost of parts at $800. The second unit if ever it was up for sale would be at least double that.