• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038

Yeah - you should not get any pops etc as long as your source is not sending any. :)

As to your DSD512 playback funkiness - I would look at the source since I have had no issues playing DSD512 from BBB in pure sync mode - though Amanero is more problematic (I suspect that's down to it's own slave mode firmware needing some work)

Thanks for the report!

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
-snip- Sounds very good! The only issue I have is that with DSD512 I get a high pitched constant noise superimposed on the music, and only in the right channel. Changing back to DSD256 the noise completely disappears.

I think this high pitched noise, if it is heard like a chirpy sound, should be the issue of Amanero firmware. Anyway congratulations for your modified B3SEpro firmware well working.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Awesome. Thanks Russ! I didn't see this file earlier. Will start by (hopefully) implementing your stock settings. Then, I can hardly wait to experiment and will add filter options, etc. as time and experimentation allow.

My Python interface uses an asyncore server, adapted from NetIO. I just noticed the TPA logo at the bottom of this page - though the picture rotates... :) [I use NetIO to easily create I2C control pages on all my iOS devices.]

Cheers!
Frank

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I seem to have hit a snag and could use any suggestions. When using the new Pro boards with the firmware chip removed, is there any reason that the I2C busses would not initialize correctly for 3-wire (including ground) transfer? My I2C multiplexer doesn’t seem to find the DACs. The older 9018s worked fine in the exact same setup - I simply swapped them out.

TIA,

Frank

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Apologies, Brian & Dimdim! My hobbyist's brain has been in 'medicine mode' for too long... :wchair:

Backing up: Will I need on-board firmware simply to change the power-on state and thereby initialize/activate the I2C bus? [There's a "learning opportunity"! :Present:] Or is there an easier way?

F.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
The 9028's reset pin is brought out to one of the Buffalo's I/O pins, so you just need to control that pin with your uC.

Thanks! So double checking... The reset is accomplished with that pin low, after which running requires it to be held high? That’s what I surmise from your “9028 on a B3” blog from a year ago... That will be easy to manage.

Frank

Hopefully a simple question. I have built a IIIse based dac using a Raspberry Pi using i2c and a Kali Reclocker as a dedicated input I would also like to add some spdif inputs to the IIIse (CD Transport, another Pi for video streaming and an ADC — all via coaxial spdif ) and I am a little bit confused about what is needed to add three spdif inputs and switch between the i2c and the spdif inputs.

Can someone explain what is needed, I assume the 4:1 Muxer and how to switch between the i2c input and the Spdif Muxer

Also how is switching between the built in spdif and i2c input managed?

I am sorry if this is explained clearly somewhere I have looked but I cannot see it.

Last edited: