Infineon MA12070 Class D

I run unbalanced to A8 from khadas tone board with pc volume controll and amp at max.
But what about balanced in you say sounds better?
I think it sounds good and dont have any EMI problems or noise two meters from speakers that anoy me?
Im not try to compare that direct coupling you do only balanced vs unbalanced.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Psst! You can not hear EMI but you can experience it depending on time/temp/devices that emit RF in the vicinity. It can cause intermodulation which can be quite unpleasant.

Not measuring = not knowing
Taking precautions = preventing
Assuming everything is OK = risk

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Why do YOU think output filters/stages are standard in datasheets of DAC chips? To sell more electronics? To annoy audiophiles? Because these guys at AKM/ESS etc. don't know their stuff and "just do something"?

Ever heard of polyester, polypropylene or polystyrene caps? Discrete stages? Passive stages with transformers? There are a lot of ways to Rome. Opamp stages are the easiest to implement and they can be excellent.

Modern DACs have quite high frequency XO's and you can often find that frequency in a lot of places in the device. Then there are the other XO's in the device... It is no coincidence that devices that use metal casings and old fashioned shielding between sections have good performance.

Last edited:
From my first EMU 404 USB with AK4393 through all different AKM dacs I have yet to "hear" an ill effect by direct coupling.
Many years ago it was a guy neamed sendler in this Forum who introduced me to this approach. I never regreted to listen to him. He got flammed big time for his approach.
He had a Behringer DCX 2496 with 4 AK4393 after the digital section.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
That was then, this is now. Implementing the same habit without even measuring what happens.... You mentioned ES9038. Well good luck with that one direct coupled without filtering. That idiots at ESS just implemented output filtering because they had nothing else to do that day :)

It is not the direct coupling, it is the filterless approach. Post #870, just 1 post before yours. When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, when I refer to direct coupling, I always use either 2 caps per channel for balanced or a transformer. I much prefer transformers thought. I'm not an engeneer so my concience is not bothered by none textbook approach. Maybe I am to old to hear the artefacts of EMI.
Anyway I don't want to cause disharmony here so I back up and resign. .

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It is not direct coupling when either capacitors or transformers are involved. Transformers provide galvanic separation and they also do filter as they don't transfer high frequencies when made for audio. That is probably why you prefer them.

In short: you don't do direct coupling and you do filter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_coupling

I don't know why you resign?! No disharmony anywhere except using wrong terms for stuff. Besides that stubborn people are always good companions for debates. Keeps the place alive.

Last edited:
Ok thought it has gotten a little heated.

There is no way around of tapping into the signal where I did, because those ceramics have no business in the signal path.
Any dac exept mine😁 has already an active stage followed by coupling caps some even balanced. Gain of this amp is plenty so why squeeze the signal through yet more possibly fake opamps that are fed by lousy regs and send it through the mentioned ceramics.

Next up tests:
Würth Coils

Haufe transformer coupling

470uf elecrolytic exchanged by 180uf MKP!!!
Chrazy I know but Pollin has a deal of €0.45 for 9uf mkp. I will only do this on the mid/high section. But who knows.

5v supply by LT3045

I try to be a good student and soldered these in

Attachments

• IMG_20220726_194013.jpg
    IMG_20220726_194013.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 68