In search of a perfect attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Destroyer OS. said:
TVC or PA (perfect attenuator)?

Both are fine and it's more a matter of system balance, voicing and proper setup, than superiority of one over another.

TVC will stay in my current system, especially when I need it for single ended to balanced conversion and it is already integrated with the amps.

In in the new system I'm currently setting up, I will use PA, as I want to run multiple amps (all single ended). PA needs a source with a good buffer for proper dynamics, TVC is less forgiving in that aspect as its input resistance can be very high.

When everything is well done, PA may have advantage, as it will be probably more neutral than TVC, but TVC can still make up for the defficiencies of a less perfect system.

PA also offers more steps (128 vs 24).

Bas Horneman said:
Hi Peter,

Where did you get the grayhill? I have a 7gang one..but know someone who is looking for grayhill switches like that.

Regards,
Bas

ps..I have not tried that many attenuators..and especially not in the same setup. But so far I like the DACT units and my Grayhill with intactaudio AVC. Next up....DiyHiFiSupply amorphous TVC's. On the same Grayhill (7gang) so comparison should be easy.
i have access to greyhills. if you need.

can anyone please tell me if these apls are fake or not? i've been searching all over the web and there is plenty of talk but no images to go with. for the most part everything looks like an alps except the pins/lugs which i cant find on the alps site..
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Unsolicited! :)

The one with Pins is from AMB's store, and the one with lugs is from a store in Taiwan that I mail ordered from.

alps-50k-pots-outside.jpg

alps-50k-pots-inside.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.