Improving SLAPS - introducing X-SLAPS

MWSnap151 2022-01-01, 14_56_30.jpg
So here's the schematic that simulates. asc file is attached and also the spi file.
I wasn't able to upload the spi file, so you need to change "irfp150n - change to spi.asc" to "irfp150n.spi".
Place the spi file in the same directory as the asc file.

With the bias resistor values above the Id is 900 mA.
THD is then almost -100dB , see attached log/txt file.

Attachments

• PP IRFP150 +-24.asc
    6.1 KB · Views: 59
  • irfp150n - change to spi.asc
    1.6 KB · Views: 60
  • PP IRFP150 +-24.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 59
Finished at last!

After a diy gathering in November, I'll put them in cupboards behind me.
Well, the amplifiers have resided in a cupboard.
But with the warm spring and the upcoming summer, they reach too high temperature already after half an hour.

So are there any less "triody", that is require a high quiescent current, MOSFET replacement for IRFP150?
Of course the bias then has to be adjusted.

The 4W X-SLAPS with IRFP044 is okay, but at +/- 12 V the power dissipation is that high.

The only thing I have come up with, is to lower the power supply from +/-24 V to +/- 19 V.
But that is not enough.

I got the suggestion to try ECX10N20, the 2SK1058 equivalent:
MWSnap204 2022-06-01, 18_51_36.jpg

Below is from a description of the MOSFET:
EXICON Mosfets have been designed specifically for high power linear use.
They offer high voltage capability, high slew rate and low distortion, making them the ideal choice for audio amplifier design.
Freedom from secondary breakdown and thermal runaway make them extremely reliable and remove the need for protection circuitry.
These advantages together with wide bandwidth, low drive requirements, and ease of paralleling make it possible for the simple construction of robust amplifiers with excellent sonic characteristics.
Does this "ease of paralleling" mean that the 0.5 ohm source resistors R7, R8, R113 and R14 can have lower values or perhaps be removed altogether?
The resistors are there to avoid that one MOSFET, M1 or M2 for instance, takes the whole current as they are not perfectly matched.
Apart from perhaps better performance from the ECX10N20, the lower values or non resistors will help making the heat sinks cooler.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
laterals are having lesser xconductance than verticals, so .... but try - maybe you'll like it, even if (on paper) that leads to greater distortion

you can find historical examples of amps having several parallel laterals without source resistors but - me being chicken, never tried that

maybe to put (temporary?) 0R1 resistors so you can check current distribution through parallel ones

With 593 ohm as gate stopper, 560 + 33, I get no oscillation.
They had even toasted my VAS, so I had to replace its operational amplifier.

With Vgs 1.164 V and an Id of 800 mA per MOSFET I get low THD (-80 dB) above 100 Hz and below 4 W.
So this can do as an tweeter amplifier.
The frequency response drops below 40 Hz and it at -4 dBr at 10 Hz.

I will now do comparative measurements with IRFP150, but with lower current sharing resistor than 0.5 ohm.

I've done some more tests with ECX10N20 at the wanted supply voltage +/-24V.
But the amplifier just oscillates again.
So I guess it is back to the safe IRFP150.

So what to do with the heat dissipation?

From the scrap pile I attached an old 200 mm computer fan to the heat sink, and that actually did work well; at 40 C I can now touch the heat sink.
But it'll be Noctua NF-A20 PWM Premium in the final version, at 18.1 dB noise level at full speed it will not be heard.
As it can be PWM controlled, I might use a Arduino Nano to measure the temperature and then control the fan speed accordingly and thus lower the noise level even more.

Some measurements with IRFP150 at Id 800mA done at 1/4 W to 44W output power.

SPL drops 0.6 dB at 20 Hz. I can live with that; easily fixed in the DSP.
0,25 to 44W SPL.jpg

THD at 20Hz listed at the bottom:
0,25 to 44W THD at 20Hz.jpg

THD at 1kHz listed at the bottom:
0,25 to 44W THD at 1kHz.jpg

2HD at 1kHz listed at the bottom:
0,25 to 44W 2HD at 1kHz.jpg

3HD at 1kHz listed at the bottom:
0,25 to 44W 3HD at 1kHz.jpg

So THD is below -40dB (1%) at 20Hz. I reckon that the speaker distorts even more, so I can even use this as a sub speaker amplifier.