Ikea Kallax MEH (Unity/Synergy) speaker

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Just playing with the idea of building a tapped horn with the same Fane woofer (black line) and turning the horn into bass reflex instead of closed back (grey line). This looks like a pretty good match - and I always wanted to try out a tapped horn as well. Another project to the list...

1666699719974.png

Attachments

• 1666699704920.png
    1666699704920.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 61
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Trying out Clio pocket and some basic crossover. This is the on axis response (red) and phase (minimum selected in Clio, green) after some EQ. In room, 1/6 octave smoothed and no gating, in room at around 70 cm.

1671126142999.png

I definitely need to start building the second one:)

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hi Guglielmo, glad to hear that! I can send you the 3D model if you wish. Unfortunately, I have not measured the sensitivity yet, maybe next week.

Just keep in mind that this shape came out of curiosity and special needs to fit my shelf (not the Kallax, but the same depth) between two wardrobes in my working room. I will have to measure the directivity pattern more precisely, the first crude measurements suggest that these should be fit for the purpose but are a bit beamy in the HF (as expected). I will experiment a bit with some 3D printed phase plugs as others suggested, it should help also with straightening the FR in the top end. Because to get them this straight, EQ is needed.

All that said, even a single one is so enjoyable in its intended place that I will start building the second one soon (and finish the first one properly, too:) )

And I started thinking about some bass modules to fit nicely between the pair, most probably sealed boxes with one or two 12" woofers.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I am thinking about options, while this form is pretty compact, I could fit three more conventionaly looking MEHs (say 80x35) to build a L - C - R system for matrix listening.

The planar driver has a narrow vertical directivity anyway and I really like how the Fane Sovereign 8-225 works together with it.

The matrixed Single Stereo Speaker with 3FE22s (https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-little-full-range-driver.379277/post-6884821) works so nicely, so it encourages me to experiment further with this concept on a larger scale.

But first, I will set up the Hydra clones (https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-little-full-range-driver.379277/post-6952116) as the sides and the F1 clone (https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-little-full-range-driver.379277/post-7067167) as the center channel on the shelf.

The only thing is I need to figure out how to create the matrix with the DSP I have available.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Measure once, print twice:) I realized that it is wrong before printing, but at least I managed to confirm this shape would fit. It is most probably a bad shape anyway. I plan to try the "micro waveguide" (on each hole) style as well.

I should still build the second one. And the first larger symmetrical prototype will be used as center for the LCR testing.

Attachments

• 47836F10-0FEF-4859-941A-5855F4543632.jpeg
    47836F10-0FEF-4859-941A-5855F4543632.jpeg
    369.4 KB · Views: 142
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I revisited this little box (and the Aura F1 clone with 3FE22s as the second channel) and made a simple 1st order crossover at around 800 Hz (22 uF in series with the tweeter and 1.56 mH in series with the woofer). I also pulled out my Chinese Bouyurange 300B amplifier.

I am shocked. Even though the MEH needs EQ in the mids to make it more even and with low end roll off above 100 Hz, I am getting very enjoyable sound. Must be the 300B amp... adding something I really like. Detailed 3D soundstage, I am hearing things I have never noticed before.

I need to find out if it is the amp or speakers (or the room arrangement?). I also need to equalize both and add some bass (mono for now).

I'm headed out the door right now and can't look it up, but GRS makes a planar that sits halfway between the size of the NEO3 and the NEO8.

If it was $200 it would be killer for something like this, but at $60 (iirc) it's just dead-simple to make a really solid Unity horn.

Basically, most planars struggle to play down to 1500Hz, but the GRS can reliably play down to 1khz or even 700Hz.

On the downside, there's very little output above 10khz. I've long wondered if a pair of the GRS NEO3 clones could be used to replace one of the larger planars.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
This is the current temporary setup. I have had too much of great local beer to realy tune this. So far so good, the only problematic thing is the slight comb filtering effect from the left side, to be solved with second MEH build.

Attachments

• IMG_7533.jpeg
    IMG_7533.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 125
Joined 2008
Paid Member
A small update. For some reason, the midbass on the Kallax Syn was inverted (most probably a wiring mistake - cable or inside) and I was getting an awful null. Fixed that by swapping the wires on the connector. I also installed MiniDSP 2x4 HD and since the midbass is more sensitive than the planar tweeter, I added two low shelf filters. This hybrid crossover seems to work really fine, I just need to tune the mono bass unit crossover a bit more now.