• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

IEC Power Connector

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's a nice solution, bayonet MIL AC connector set. 500V 25A, $7 set

1-set Military Gold 4-Pin Male Radio Female Circular Connector Y2M4ZJ + Y2M4TK | eBay

I think for an authentic "retro" look tube amp though, I would still want something like the old Amphenols. And they are so practical besides. Round chassis hole, fits an extension cord. Bullet-proof.

To H_ll with IEC, they look so cheap and plastic and hard to use. Throw-away stuff comes with those. The dump is full of them.

Hmmm, could go to the dump with a big Greenlee circular punch and punch out the IEC holes in the chassis there, then mount the round punch-out over a circular hole in your Amp chassis.

Attachments

• Mil_AC_cord_conn.jpg
    Mil_AC_cord_conn.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Amphenol_AC_powers.jpg
    Amphenol_AC_powers.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Here's a nice solution, bayonet MIL AC connector set. 500V 25A, $7 set

1-set Military Gold 4-Pin Male Radio Female Circular Connector Y2M4ZJ + Y2M4TK | eBay

I think for an authentic "retro" look tube amp though, I would still want something like the old Amphenols. And they are so practical besides. Round chassis hole, fits an extension cord. Bullet-proof.

Not sure about knock-offs, but the original Amphenol multipins connectors are bulletproof.

I'm not a fan of those old Amphenol chassis mount "Edison" plugs. I'm sure they work great, I just can't stand the look of them.

Finally found what I've been looking for. Mini Twist-Lock connectors. (Hubbell) 1.19 inch diameter.

I saw something like these on an old sewing machine once (even smaller, like 0.75 inch diameter). But searching for sewing machine connectors was futile. Seems Hubbell has a new take on this now, with an extended center ground pin for safety when inserting or removing a "HOT" cord. (pics 4 and 5)

NEMA standards:

NEMA ML-3P and ML-3R were the older 3 pin version, without the safety -extended- ground pin.

NEMA ML-2P and ML-2R are a newer 3 pin version, with the -extended- safety ground pin. These would be ideal for DIY audio amps, just what the doctor ordered. A round mounting hole, you can get a steel or SS mounting shell. Like a miniature version of the old Amphenol / Edison connector.

Midget Twist-Lock | Locking Devices | Wiring Devices | Electrical & Electronic | Products | Wiring Device - Kellems

Attachments

• Mini_Twist-lock_HBL7595.jpg
    Mini_Twist-lock_HBL7595.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Mini_Twist-lock_HBL7593.jpg
    Mini_Twist-lock_HBL7593.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Mini_Twist-lock_HBL7486.jpg
    Mini_Twist-lock_HBL7486.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 169
  • Mini_twist-lock_HBL7485.jpg
    Mini_twist-lock_HBL7485.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 170
  • Mini_Twist-lock_HBL7484.jpg
    Mini_Twist-lock_HBL7484.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Those are great connectors Windcrest.

My Alesis mixer uses it for the power supply (28V), but I'm not familiar with the voltage ratings of that range of connectors.

They are sturdy, I use a lot of Amphenol MIL stuff at work, and these arent much of a compromise in that regard.

Plus chrome is so much nicer than olive drab

It worked out well! Managed to convert a Quad II to use an IEC C5/C6 connector with no metal work, apart from some 1mm alu plate to mount the socket, and also an illuminated switch and fuse.

Attachments

• B065B5C6-3A5E-489B-90C7-C9E4DF563080.jpeg
    B065B5C6-3A5E-489B-90C7-C9E4DF563080.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 804EDAFE-0978-4CEB-B788-8CC36D76DDAC.jpeg
    804EDAFE-0978-4CEB-B788-8CC36D76DDAC.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 65
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.