ICEpower amp vs Purifi

Hello everyone! I had purchased an IcePower 1200AS module a few years back and was wondering about the Purifi component/s compared to the Icepower modules? I'm not fully sure what all is involved for a DIY assembly of the Purifi, as the Icepower came with everything on the PCB minus the enclosure, connections and such. I do think that the Icepower 1200as sounds good, but I have heard that this Purifi set up is much better? I'd appreciate any feedback, Thanks!

Joined 2005
Paid Member
It's a minimum of 3 pieces- the amplifier module, the input/output connector module, and supply for own power supply (not (yet) sold by Purifi).
Add case/wiring/switches etc.

The Icepower is fully integrated, similar to Hypex NCxxxMP (mains powered) modules, where the power supply is integrated with the amplifier board. Just need add case/wiring/switches etc.

Better fidelity particularly in the top octaves. Arguably little difference if you are just driving subwoofers.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I couldn’t comment on current Icepower or Purifi amplifiers, sorry.

My last experience with Icepower is around 2004.

Since 2012 I’ve used nCore400, UcD or Class A/B.

I am investigating current replacements

Also consider looking at TPA3255 with PFFB, UcD400HG; Nilai500 and Neurochrome

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I couldn’t comment on current Icepower or Purifi amplifiers, sorry.

My last experience with Icepower is around 2004.

Since 2012 I’ve used nCore400, UcD or Class A/B.

I am investigating current replacements

Also consider looking at TPA3255 with PFFB, UcD400HG; Nilai500 and Neurochrome

I got a couple of Acoustic Reality stereo ICE amps. I also have a couple of Teac Reference components with ICE modules.

I also got an NCore module, and case, just waiting to be wired together... one of these days.

The ICE modules have excellent bass but they sound dry and soft on the top end. They foreshorten the depth of the soundstage.

Reviews on the NCore say it has much better treble. Some day I'll get around to it.

If you think icepower as1200 sounds good, Purifi will blow your mind :) Not even exagerating. To me (and people i know) it sounds significantly better than other class d on the market (sans starkrimson classd amps which i haven't heard, but soon will).

@Brijac

Oh wow, That is excellent to hear! So any idea what kind of price I'd be looking at as far as building one myself? I believe I had saw some enclosures for the Purifi components on eBay? I also viewed a video of someone doing an opamp change if I recall correctly, and that made a great improvement in sonics! Let me know your opinion on the sans starkrimson amp when you get a chance to hear it! I appreciate your reply! Thanks!

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I've tested the Purify Eval1 kit. It sounds very clean, but the buffer stage is way too noisy with high efficiency drivers. I could clearly hear noise in the listening position with 100 dB horn tweeters. Any Hypex nCore amp is dead quiet. I have ICEpower 2000AS for my subwoofers, and they are great. Tons of power and super tight sound.

@Brijac

I didn’t feel Icepower was right in the mid highs at all.

NCore400 was a big step up from Icepower AS1200.

But how does Purifi compare to nc400?
Icepower only had good bass. Tpa3255 is better in every aspect except output power.
Ncore was a big step up, and purifi is another big step up in contrast to nc400. It's what changed my opinion about class d as a technology, it sounds marvelous in every aspect, as top tier AB class amps and more. Very musical, relaxed with all the details.
@Brijac

Oh wow, That is excellent to hear! So any idea what kind of price I'd be looking at as far as building one myself? I believe I had saw some enclosures for the Purifi components on eBay? I also viewed a video of someone doing an opamp change if I recall correctly, and that made a great improvement in sonics! Let me know your opinion on the sans starkrimson amp when you get a chance to hear it! I appreciate your reply! Thanks!
Since you're from the USA, i'd suggest purchasing already made one. It's cheaper. You can repackage in some other case. Difference in money, you can purchase it with custom input buffer. Or make one, from user @Koifarm
It ended up costing me much more over here in europe (not eu country), to make it myself.
I've tested the Purify Eval1 kit. It sounds very clean, but the buffer stage is way too noisy with high efficiency drivers. I could clearly hear noise in the listening position with 100 dB horn tweeters. Any Hypex nCore amp is dead quiet. I have ICEpower 2000AS for my subwoofers, and they are great. Tons of power and super tight sound.
Are you sure you haven't skipped actual buffer part? As it can be by passed. It's dead silent to me with eval 1.

You said it was noisy with high sensitivity speakers. I don't have such experience. You may have not used buffer as it is 27db total with it not 13db (which is without buffer). Another option is that you may have had too much gain in your chain, hence the noise at high eff. speakers. Oooor, it may have been faulty. Either way, feel bad you have had such experience. 1et400a is wonderfull :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
There is noise when the EVAL1 buffer is used with a total gain of 27 dB. The noise I experienced did not come from my source, as it was still there with the inputs of the EVAL1 disconnected and shorted.

Without the buffer, you get only 13 dB gain and as I said no noise. But 13 dB gain is very low, and many preamps and DSP units can't drive the amp to full power with that gain.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yeah the AR from about 15-20 years ago- That’s exactly the ones I’m referring too.

you’re in for a treat with the nCore!

The issue I haven't wired it together is because for the last three years I've been on a tear.

Clones: mono A5s, F5, mono A2s, F4, SissySIT 42 and now XA252 SIT in the making. And I rebuilt my old ARC D70-II.

Plus the upgrades to the phono preamp, line stage preamp, new speakers... etc... the NCore has been on the backburner...

Currently the SissySIT is incredibly hard to get away from. I even plugged it into the Maggie's 1.7 and it blew me away with what it can do.

The NCore was bought as a backup to the A2s (lots of power).

There is noise when the EVAL1 buffer is used with a total gain of 27 dB. The noise I experienced did not come from my source, as it was still there with the inputs of the EVAL1 disconnected and shorted.

Without the buffer, you get only 13 dB gain and as I said no noise. But 13 dB gain is very low, and many preamps and DSP units can't drive the amp to full power with that gain.
I would RMA that unit then. Pitch dark for me.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
... Icepower only had good bass. Tpa3255 is better in every aspect except output power. ...
Hi, Icepower comes in many varieties, including tpa3255!;) confirmed here https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/accidental-short-icepower-200as2.398853/post-7354862

I get it you are talking about 1200AS here, so my post is just to prevent any future information seekers misunderstanding and look for more info :)

I do not know much about various modules available, but IcePower 200as2 board, which has the tpa3255 chip, is very nice. Power supply is included, all kinds of protection and status information available, auxiliary power etc, very easy to hook up, no additional boards needed assuming you have some way to affect input level like volume know on a dj mixer, or what ever. Cheap as well. Very utilitarian. While I have not compared sound to anything, it seems fine, likely very similar to any tpa3255 implementation.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
A few tests that i saw about icepower is that their sinad (signal to nois ratio) is arround 90-95dB, while Ncore is arround 105dB and Ncorex/Nilai/Purifi arround 115dB. For the rest they are very similar. Humans can notify distortion in worst case to about 100dB (most people way lower) sinad so Icepower doesn't get there, the old Ncore does, and the newer are better, but not relevant better (as we can't hear the difference).

Ncore boards are easy to build, as they have psu's in the Hypex lineup for them and the input buffers are build in. But they are hard to get when you're not an OEM (limited models are sold to diy). Purifi does sell to everybody, but does not have a dedicated psu, they use the Hypex ones as they were build by the same guy (Bruno Putzeys) and should be good enough. They also need an input board, you can buy the board by Purifi or make your own.

There are many cheap Ncore and purif builds arround altough from Audiophonics (France), Buckeye (US) and a few others. They won't cost you more than when you would do it yourself and source all the parts and measure often better than the big brand commercial builds from NAD a.o. I did buy some Audiophonics amps and they are great, as good (but less powerfull) than the NC400 kit i made a few years ago for someone.

Icepower is easier, all parts needed are for sale for everybody in some shops, but they are not the quality of NCore/Purifi. It's still high quality altough, so it's up to you to decide if it's high enough.

The main difference i came to realise is filter. Bruno just did it proper on Purifi lineup. Sound is natural, relaxed, very easy to hear comparing to as1200 and rest of the ones i heard (you reminded me, nilai is still up there for me to hear next to starkrimson).

Joined 2005
Paid Member
The only lacking from many TPA3255 implementations is PFFB and a robust ~54V high current power supply.

Icepower 200AS2 is really a TPA3255 with integrated power supply?!

Is there a need to build you own amplifier, now that only thing necessary is to assemble it in some housing and add cabling?

Reminds me of the 1990s of PC clones and assembly.
First it was hard,
then it became easy like LEGO
Then laptops could do what 99% of what consumers need.
Just buy one-quicker and easy to get one than building your own!