IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...

Hi Redjr,

Wow what a nice build I was wondering if you are using a isolation transformer (1 on 1) in your build, I am wondering this in general since I have not seen a lot of isolation transformers between the mains and the trannies in this forum. Does it make sense to use one if using the linear pi's with UcConditioners? What would be the pro's/con's when using one.

Cheers
Hi ojawel,

I am not using any mains power conditioning. Never have. Only thing I do use is simple audio grade plug-strips.

Reactions: 1 user
@redjr
Rick,
Thanks for sharing your Silverstone build. I have always been reluctant to use tall cases as they don't fit my racks except on the top shelf. The nuclear option is to take everything apart and insert longer shelf legs (after purchase) on one level. In any case you have convinced me to design something with a 3HE height for Ian's technology. If it sees the light of day I will post some pictures.
Can you please elaborate on your power supply set up.
I see 2 x LifeP04mini with UcConditioners on top. One is 3.3V powering the Dual Mono Plus DAC with the three rails bridged. Does the other power the FiFoPi Q3?
I see a ConditionerPi under the RPi. So RPi is UC conditioned at 5v, where does the (regulated) 5V come from?
I also see the 2 x toroid's each with 2 x ?v secondaries.

I hope these questions are not a bother.

What really flabbergasts me is that there are no RPi's far and wide to be had!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Martin

@MartinJohn,

(1) I see 2 x LifeP04mini with UcConditioners on top. One is 3.3V powering the Dual Mono Plus DAC with the three rails bridged. Does the other power the FiFoPi Q3?
I started out with 2 x LifePO4 minis, but replace the 6.6V one with a 5V LinearPi. Reason being, I thought the mini would regulate down to 5.0V, but it does not. Ian had mentioned the 6.6V mini is for specialized applications. In addition, since the batteries are 3.3V each, they are placed in series on the 6.6V mini, and 6.6V is what you get at the output. That's my understanding of it. @Ian, please correct me if I'm wrong. I can claim being a senior citizen and suffer from CRS more times than I want to admit! 'Can't Remember S#!t' :)
So, yes, the only 3.3V mini is powering the DAC. I know you get better performance using separate (AVCC, DVCC, and 3rd?) supplies, but for space constraints reason, I decided not to use that arrangement in this build and let them share 1 mini. The FifoPi has a 2nd dedicated 3.3V LinearPi. That LP actually replaced a DIYINHK low noise supply I was using earlier.

(2) I see a ConditionerPi under the RPi. So RPi is UC conditioned at 5v, where does the (regulated) 5V come from?
You are correct. The last 5V LinearPi supplies the StationPi Pro board, and that's where the regulated 5V comes from for the Pi. Again, this may not be the best practice, and in the past my other DAC used 2 x 5V supplies for the StationPi. One for the RPi side, and the other for the Audio side. They can share a common PSU with a couple jumpers installed.

(3) I also see the 2 x toroid's each with 2 x 6V secondaries.
Correct. I'm using 2 x 50VA trannies with dual 6VAC secondary windings. I do have 1 spare winding, so could add another PSU if I desire. The LinearPis are great for stacking too. Helps to maximize vertical space. Below is a picture of another DAC where I used 3 stacked LPs.

Hopes this helps.
Rick

Attachments

• PXL_20230129_210037652.jpg
    PXL_20230129_210037652.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 267
@MartinJohn,

(1) I see 2 x LifeP04mini with UcConditioners on top. One is 3.3V powering the Dual Mono Plus DAC with the three rails bridged. Does the other power the FiFoPi Q3?
I started out with 2 x LifePO4 minis, but replace the 6.6V one with a 5V LinearPi. Reason being, I thought the mini would regulate down to 5.0V, but it does not. Ian had mentioned the 6.6V mini is for specialized applications. In addition, since the batteries are 3.3V each, they are placed in series on the 6.6V mini, and 6.6V is what you get at the output. That's my understanding of it. @Ian, please correct me if I'm wrong. I can claim being a senior citizen and suffer from CRS more times than I want to admit! 'Can't Remember S#!t' :)
So, yes, the only 3.3V mini is powering the DAC. I know you get better performance using separate (AVCC, DVCC, and 3rd?) supplies, but for space constraints reason, I decided not to use that arrangement in this build and let them share 1 mini. The FifoPi has a 2nd dedicated 3.3V LinearPi. That LP actually replaced a DIYINHK low noise supply I was using earlier.

(2) I see a ConditionerPi under the RPi. So RPi is UC conditioned at 5v, where does the (regulated) 5V come from?
You are correct. The last 5V LinearPi supplies the StationPi Pro board, and that's where the regulated 5V comes from for the Pi. Again, this may not be the best practice, and in the past my other DAC used 2 x 5V supplies for the StationPi. One for the RPi side, and the other for the Audio side. They can share a common PSU with a couple jumpers installed.

(3) I also see the 2 x toroid's each with 2 x 6V secondaries.
Correct. I'm using 2 x 50VA trannies with dual 6VAC secondary windings. I do have 1 spare winding, so could add another PSU if I desire. The LinearPis are great for stacking too. Helps to maximize vertical space. Below is a picture of another DAC where I used 3 stacked LPs.

Hopes this helps.
Rick
Rick,

Thanks it certainly does give me food for thought. In the photo of the stacked Linear PI power supplies, how long are the standoffs between power supplies?
Thanks
Martin

Those are 25mm (M2.5). You probably already know this, but years ago when I started down this rabbit-hole hobby, I quickly learned I would need a lot of standoffs. Even though Ian does supply some with his boards, I usually need more and at different lengths. Amazon (or AliExpress) to the rescue. These multi-variety packs are handy to have around. I keep my shop/lab stocked with these multi-sized ones. Most of the ones I use are in the range to M2.0 to M4.0. If I don't have the exact height I need, I put two together and get close enough. I've found that with Ian's boards, you have to take care and make sure the boards clear the bottom board. If I only need 1 or 2mm I use nylon washers.

Rick

Attachments

• PXL_20230130_202257404.jpg
    PXL_20230130_202257404.jpg
    570.2 KB · Views: 142
reversed Polarity :((
It's a pity. I think only @iancanada will be able to answer how you can repair the Q3 after that.
I want to share my experiments with Linearpi. In the stock - the usual good power supply. But if you replace the capacitors, then it becomes audiophile. As a result, I came to lkg grade3 at the entrance and cerafine at the exit. In this form, he confidently outplayed UcPure. And perfectly complemented by UcConditioner along with 3000f. This is the best I've heard for the clean side of fifopi (clocks must be powered separately from fifopi, then everything is audible) compared to other PSUs. After I changed the diode bridge on it to lt4320, I can also hear it.

Attachments

• 20220313_230511.jpg
    20220313_230511.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 181
  • 20211031_225704.jpg
    20211031_225704.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 179
  • Снимок экрана (2).jpg
    Снимок экрана (2).jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Hello to everyone, a little question from a newbie :
I've got a Musician Pegasus dac and I'd like to use an HdmiPi Pro to use the I2S entry of the dac to get the best of it.
As far as I know, the Pegasus has 8 different HDMI modes.

Mode5 Mode6 Mode7 Mode8_.jpg

Would the HdmiPi Pro be compatible with Pegasus HDMI ?
I guess it should be used with the Fifopi Q7.
Thanks in advance for any info !

Last edited:
A few years back in 2019 I bought a few iancanada based components to do a RPi based streamer DAC. As usual, I put the parts on the shelf and now I'm finally getting to a build. I haven't had time to go thru the whole thread to pick out details, so I'm hoping to get some good guidance.

Stack:
FifoPi Q2 with default clocks.
ESS 9028Q2M Dac Hat
Transformer I/V board with LL1544A trafos.

Power supply:
Salas L-Adapter @ 5V.

Any known issues with this combo?

I'm wondering what I might be missing for a build like this. Do I need separate 3.3v supply? I'm thinking of ditching the Salas L-Adapter and going with PurePi to simplify things if it's going to make my life easier.

Would Monitor Pi be a good addition here? I primarily use Volumio, so it'd have to work with that. I also would consider using Moode as well if that works better here.

I'm thinking I might also want to upgrade to Crystek 957 clocks. I'm assuming I'd just need to buy adapter boards for this. Otherwise, is there a better clock option that works well here?

Also what standoff sizes would I need for this build? With no PurePi... Rasperry Pi mounted to chassis, FifoPi to Pi, ESS Dac to FifoPi, and finally I/V board to ESS Dac.

Thanks in advance!
Mull3t

A few weeks ago I bought a Transportpi Digi. Since then I've been trying to connect an OLED display with ssh1102 chip. Unfortunately, the Pi does not recognise the display via standard I2C pins of the Transportpi. I have tried to enable another I2C access on different pins, but also without success. Is it at all possible to connect further components via I2C in combination with a Transportpi Digi?

Many thanks for the help.