IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...

71eef8e8a5f79e56671950bb024578a6.jpg

This is the I2S interface for the Gustard A-22. From the manual of IAN's Transport Pi it looks a bit different. Can someone confirm will it work with the transport Pi.

Mod

I tried some mods and I must realize that Ian did a great Job as nothing really improve, except usual stuff as Clock, OPAmps etc.

But one thing I would highly recommend is to remove all electrolyte capacitors. May this sounds a little bit strange, as it is somehow a 'good etiquette' to have this stabilization capacitors in well designed circuits. But this capacitors mellow down the sound and occupy your good power source :)

I really high recommend this, the music will be freed, sweet and more detailed !
May start with the caps on the I/V board as they are easy to remove or lift just on side of them.

Give it a try :)

Regards
Marcus

Attachments

• IMG_20200510_104058_kl.jpg
    IMG_20200510_104058_kl.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_20200510_111732_kl.jpg
    IMG_20200510_111732_kl.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 619
  • IMG_20200510_110316_kl.jpg
    IMG_20200510_110316_kl.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_20200510_111727_kl.jpg
    IMG_20200510_111727_kl.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 615
Thats a good one...I assume you use Ians battery supply ? I will follow your approach.

I could not resist and tried the sound of different RPi boards as no matter what software I tried my Alix1D/Sotm/Mpdpup legacy system was more natural, more air, better tone...even with Ian Fifopi, battery and pulsar clocks...all on soekris dac with i2s while the alix goes over UsB.

This is completely subjective observation, only true in my system with my ears, but I did this for a couple of days at dofferent times of the day, so that i do not fool myself completely:

Rp4: Stiff, clean, technical
Rp3b: less stressed, warmer, but somehow fuzzy, a bit weird sounding, not as clear as RP4
Allo Usbridge: Less clear in the beginning than RP4, but opens up. No weird sound, seems to make less errors than the other boards, really quiet musical and involving, a real serious challenger of my existing setup. Needs still to open up a bit (Dietpi with Mpd)

Now, you can argue why spend so much money on it compared to a RPi...well, the difference between a crystek and the pulsar is less than the difference between the allo board and the normal RPi. So, if you want a better bang for the buck, I would recommend it.

I'm using Regulators from DiyInHk, no battery, may with battery the Result of removing the Caps are different. I would suggest to start with the I/V Board to get an Idea. In case of transformer board I would start with the DAC Board, there are 3 Caps for each Rail. May be start with the Analog Part of the Dac Board so lift only one of these three caps.

Regards
Marcus

Hi Umarkus,

I start with those as well...diyinhk...moving to salas ultrabib 1.3 was eyeopening...big difference...at least for the dac. The battery stuff from ian is simply there as i wanted to try...i have not yet an opion on that, but it is good, but not like i would say it is theholy grail. diyinhk vs. salas is a clear game.

Hi Umarkus,

I start with those as well...diyinhk...moving to salas ultrabib 1.3 was eyeopening...big difference...at least for the dac. The battery stuff from ian is simply there as i wanted to try...i have not yet an opion on that, but it is good, but not like i would say it is theholy grail. diyinhk vs. salas is a clear game.

Hi, thx for the hint. If there are still some Boards available I will give it a try. Already send a message to tea-bag :)

The DiyInHk (0.56µV) boards sounds much better if there is no big cap in the output line. I also removed the OnBoard 1000µF, only keep the 4.7µF WIMA.

Regards
Marcus

Hi everyone,
I got the Accusilicon clocks today.
I put them in and the X01 led flashes once then off. X02 led stays on. (see jpg)
Is it normal?
I then turned off the whole thing and put the original stock clocks back in; same thing: X01 LED flashes once then off and X02 LED stays on.
I remember the stock clocks had both leds on all the time.
It plays back music as usual.
Any idea?
How to tell it is using the new clocks correctly?

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 472
I've spent the weekend splitting the DAC from the FIFO with a view to fitting into a 2U case.

I wired it up for i2S as per this image plus the MCLK coax.

sut3.jpg

This did not work, but using a 40 pin ribbon cable did. There must be more connections required than just DATA, SCK, LRCK + GND. ??

I'm using an Allo USBridge Sig rather than a Pi though I suspect this makes no difference.

71eef8e8a5f79e56671950bb024578a6.jpg

This is the I2S interface for the Gustard A-22. From the manual of IAN's Transport Pi it looks a bit different. Can someone confirm will it work with the transport Pi.

Hi .

Transport Pi designed for PS Audio I have to reverse polarity 2 pairs of 1,3 and 7,9 fiber HDMI cables for compatibility with Gustard X26.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited: