IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...

I did. But using all outputs in SE mode to transformer coils will need audio capacitors for each output. For me, balanced configuration sounds better...

Seems we have a little misunderstanding. I am talking not about SE vs BAL. BAL sounds better for me too. I am talking about paralleling connection. If I understand correctly then the dual mono is when you connect two outputs of the first chip: DACR with DACL to get POSITIVE output (lets call it DACR) and DACRB with DACLB to get NEGATIVE (let it be DACRB) - so you have DACR\DACRB output. And you takes the second chip and do the same to get DACL\DACLB out. The question is how did you connect that DACR with DACL and DACRB with DACLB within each chip? Simple direct connection or through resistors I guess?
If so, then I would like to connect mentioned DACR with DACL or DACRB with DACLB not by simple galvanic connection (direct or through resistors) but by two primary coils of transformer. In this case there will be no galvanic connection and the current summing will be done at the secondary coil of the transformer. That is what I want try :)

You were right when you said it's a game changer. I leave the digital front end powered 7/24 so it is starting to burn in. I listened today and it was totally changed (better) after 3 days on the oscillator and 24hrs on the squarer. It is truly one of those times you need to re-listen to the entire collection. I built the oven, but still need to build a PS so I have not heard the clock with the oven. I'll report impressions in a few weeks when it's finished and burned in.

I played around a bit with supercap positioning. The cap on the FIFOpi clean power rail is a winner. Dynamics, slam /attack are the result. It's a keeper for me.

I think you missed the BG HiQ on the FIFOpi on the power pins of the masterclock output buffer. Cleans up the signal and adds that nice BG touch you mentioned. Highly recommended.

Like you, I like the results from BlackGates. I think I counted 75 in total across the system.

The Rpi power has a BG F 100u. I can't say if it is warranted or not. I have quite a good linear supply to the pi and just add the BG for good measure. Putting the same cap on the + and - pins of the TDA1541a had a major impact. The pi PS also important but not as much impact.

Also placed a supercap on the I2StoPCM power rail with good impact.

I can also relate to your comment about having a system capable of revealing the small stuff. I also have open baffle speakers with minimal crossovers. Amps are 6c33c OTL and very transparent. Slagle autoformer line-stage, and dual mono triode output on the DAC. I keep resistors to a minimum, and use hand wound manganin in all the key places. The result is that every improvement in the front end shines as everything downstream is capable of much more.

Interesting to learn that your path to ultimate audio is similar to mine :)
Please let us know what the effect of the oven will be.

Maybe a good idea to put this information on the thread of Andrea.

Please let us know what the effect of the oven will be.
The oven takes it up another notch. More of everything. It was like flipping the loudness switch. The bottom and top ends both become much more pronounced, and rest becomes richer. All of this is very preliminary as the power supplies are very rudimentary and nothing is burned in. Interesting side note... I use a real-time audio spectrum analyzer on my phone. The waterfall diagram clearly shows more information below 100hz, and the mid range clearly has sharper definition.

yes, i have 96,192 khz music to try, but when i installed the 98mhz pulsar by itself on fifopi, the clock led on the fifopi just keep flashing, d2,d3 on the e9038 not turn on.

Please try to plug that pulSar in to another XO socket and let me know if you have update. If it still doesn't, please measure the voltage between PIN7 and PIN14 of the XO socket.

Regards,
Ian

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Too bad I believed you had one at your work as HF engineer ?

Well, don't see it as a no-go, we can make an announcement and someone near you maybe has an acess to such tools ?

Anyone to help Ian (canadian :D country fellows) to help us as he already helped us a lot with his front ends ? :)

Sure some very experienced guys whom helped Andrea Mori have such expensive tools...

Please try to plug that pulSar in to another XO socket and let me know if you have update. If it still doesn't, please measure the voltage between PIN7 and PIN14 of the XO socket.

Regards,
Ian
hi ian:
tried 98.x puslar by itself on both xo sockets, still both xo led flashing.
voltage between pin7 and pin14 of both xo sockets measured 3.07v with or withouth 98.x pulsar on.
fifopi fed by lfiopi4 battery , voltage measured on fifopi j5 input terminal is 3.27v.

minivan..
What are the current needs of the Pulsar?
I can't help but wonder if the pulsar requires more current than the LT3042 can deliver.
If it is not getting sufficient power, you could power it separately by pulling the +vcc pin and giving it its own supply. Just a thought.
Edit.. I looked it up. If I am reading the correct datasheet, it looks like it requires 150ma at startup and 50ma continuous. I believe the clocks and the output buffer are both fed by a LT3042 which can output 200ma. So perhaps safe to assume that one clock should work but 2 would have a challenge at startup? Not sure what happens when you are supplying 3.3v. Does the LT3042 step aside and allow enough current to flow?

Last edited:
Hi wlowes ,I am currently just using the 98.x pulsar by itself onlyas Ian said before you can only use one pulsar on the fifopi one at a time.

The fifopi is fed by the one of the 3.3v output of the ian's lifepo4 board, I read on the fifopi manual, this will bypass the ldo of the fifopi, the a123 battery should have plenty current for the 98.x clock and fifopi?