IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...

So far my best sound quality configuration

I spent a lot of time recently listening to my DAC HAT. My best sound quality configuration so far is:

1. ES9038Q2M dual mono DAC HAT with three independent 3.3V voltage rails and running at sync or pure sync mode.
2. FifoPi Q2 with one 90.3168MHz pulSar OCXO.
3. LifePO4 battery power supply configured as 4*3.3V pure battery rails.
4. LL1544A transformer I/V board running balanced output.
5. Isolated ESS controller.
6. GPIO terminator(optional).
7. Shiled Pi(optional).

My listening system: B&W 802 Diamond speakers, PASS XA160.5 Dual Mone pure class A power amplifiers, PASS PA-10 pre-amplifier.
I've never thought a such small mobile DAC can sound as good as this.

Later if I have time, I'll explain the details and my experiences of above solutions one by one.

BestSoundConfiguration
by Ian, on Flickr
Regards,
Ian

I spent a lot of time recently listening to my DAC HAT. My best sound quality configuration so far is:

1. ES9038Q2M dual mono DAC HAT with three independent 3.3V voltage rails and running at sync or pure sync mode.
2. FifoPi Q2 with one 90.3168MHz pulSar OCXO.
3. LifePO4 battery power supply configured as 4*3.3V pure battery rails.
4. LL1544A transformer I/V board running balanced output.
5. Isolated ESS controller.
6. GPIO terminator(optional).
7. Shiled Pi(optional).

My listening system: B&W 802 Diamond speakers, PASS XA160.5 Dual Mone pure class A power amplifiers, PASS PA-10 pre-amplifier.
I've never thought a such small mobile DAC can sound as good as this.

Later if I have time, I'll explain the details and my experiences of above solutions one by one.

BestSoundConfiguration
by Ian, on Flickr
Regards,
Ian

Hi IAN

Can you also compare the sound quality of this setup (dac) with some other commercial product as well. It will be interesting to know that if this configuration can challenge some very expensive commercial products.

I am thinking to get this whole solution but I know I have to do hassle of buying so many components/part from different suppliers. I think it would be nice if you can offer a complete ready made solution by yourself.

So when using transformer kit, it doesn't need to be separately powered.
Ian, do you still have LL1544A boards available?

Hi Nielsek,

Three pure battery rails for ES9038Q2M DAC HAT only. One for AVCC, one for VCCA and the other for VCCA.

Yes, transformer I/V doesn't need any power supply. It's a pure passive no feedback I/V stage. That's the key difference to the I/V STD. I still have some.

Regards,
Ian

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
That's interressant you finally heard a difference with the Pi field board.

Have you by luck the good enough osci. at work like we talked in Andrea Mori's clock thread to measure your Pulsar OCXO phase noise from near 1 Hz please to the scope high limits?

Many of us will be very pleased to look at such measurements. And even better if you have the same protocol for the CCHD-957 to compare.

That's interressant you finally heard a difference with the Pi field board.

Have you by luck the good enough osci. at work like we talked in Andrea Mori's clock thread to measure your Pulsar OCXO phase noise from near 1 Hz please to the scope high limits?

Many of us will be very pleased to look at such measurements. And even better if you have the same protocol for the CCHD-957 to compare.

I'm still not yet implemented my Andrea Mori's clock. I'll update later if I have.

Ian

Also, a question for those more conversant with WiFi HW than I... I chose an older router with the thought it probably had a lower radiated power level than a more modern one. Is this likely true?

So I know a little about routers, enough to be dangerous.

An older router doesn't necessarily transmit at lower power.

An older cheaper router is more likely to be 2.4 GHz only, and not have 5 GHz. But I wonder which would be quieter? or if its audible?

2.4 GHz penetrates walls better then 5, so at the far end of my house through a bunch of walls I have to switch to 2.4 for wifi to work. So if you're within the same room no idea if 2.4 will penetrate a chassis more than 5.

I'd suggest getting a router that you can load custom firmware like ww-drt or tomato or similar. Asus routers, and some other new ones also have a lot of configuration options.

With better firmware, you can disable different features, control output/transmit power, turn off the 2.4 or 5g radio. Lots of options. Maybe I shouldn't be telling you this because this might all be a waste of time, and not make a difference.

I'm pretty sure I have an old router in my closet with ww-drt loaded in it. Think its a linksys WRT610N. They were pretty popular years back. PM me if you want to try it.

Randy

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Hello again guys .
You may or may not recall I had an issue with noise after introducing the isolator.
I have just rigged up with 2 Salas L adapters feeding the pi and dac separately. They are doing a fine job too.

I have sussed the noise issue....it only does it on the 2 highest SOX sampling rates....32bit 352 and 32/384. All other rates work fine.
This may mean something to you guys!