• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ian asynchronous I2S and S/PDIF FIFO KIT group buy

CD ripping doesn't really achieve the best quality by EAC alone, because it is very likely that it will be read incorrectly every time and EAC mistakenly believes that this is correct. In the whole process, the reading performance of CD drive has a great influence, and the power quality of CD drive is important. According to my own actual experience, the sound quality can be improved by about 30%.

30% of what? How do you compare the result you get with the one others have gotten?

When playing music using Moode Audio with IanFIFO I2S audio device, I Similarly must also resampling into 24bits to play music without noise. So this problem should not be about the HifiBerry DAC+.

Right, but in Moode do you also use the HifiBerry overlay? If so you are using the same driver as in Volumio.
Looking at your ALSA output, it seems that ALSA (or something else) is resampling down to 16 bit even though you're playing a 32bit source. I suspect that's because the driver lists max bit depth as 24 bit.
Look at /proc/asound/cardX/stream0 and see if you have S32_LE or S24_LE listed in there.

Also, can you show us a picture of the TP DAC switches? On SW1 you should have 2,3,4 and 5 on, on SW2 you should have 2 and 5-8 off.

Hi Ian,
Everything has arrived safely - can I ask about the capacitors for the IV STD - some of the values given on the schematic suggests a lot of them are 3.8nF. This is a somewhat non-standard value and given that most of them relate to HF filtering round the OP amps, I wonder if there's been a typo and they should be 3.9nF, which is a much more standard value?
Thanks again for all your hard work.
Having been an "early" adopter, I can say that the McFIFO seems to bring even more improvement than previous (extremely good) FIFOs.
Best wishes
Simon

So you believe that the 99% of users who all get exactly the same result all get the wrong result, but the different result you get is somehow magically get the right one? :)

I know that you can hardly imagine, but this is a real fact, and you only need to know it when you actually try it. I deceive everyone, it is not good for me, because this CD drive is not sold by me.

Right, but in Moode do you also use the HifiBerry overlay? If so you are using the same driver as in Volumio.
Looking at your ALSA output, it seems that ALSA (or something else) is resampling down to 16 bit even though you're playing a 32bit source. I suspect that's because the driver lists max bit depth as 24 bit.
Look at /proc/asound/cardX/stream0 and see if you have S32_LE or S24_LE listed in there.

Also, can you show us a picture of the TP DAC switches? On SW1 you should have 2,3,4 and 5 on, on SW2 you should have 2 and 5-8 off.

What you said seems to make sense. It seems that I have to buy a PI to try it again.

I found that I can play normally mp3 or WEB RADIO without resampling. This seems to mean that my problem is not in the DAC, the problem is that my PI can't directly handle higher high resolution WAV files?

SW1 and SW2 of my TP DAC is the same you said.

Ever heard of the concepts "burden of proof" and "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"?

I have no obligation to let everyone believe what I am talking about. Furthermore, according to your tone, even if I find a lot of relevant theories and patents, you will still use a lot of arguments to refute. However, why should I waste my time talking to someone who doesn't really want to know?:D

Anyway, I continue to use it happily after I actually use effective means to improve the sound quality. A lot of things you talk about will not hinder my happiness. :D

Last edited:

I can't find /proc/asound/cardX/stream0. Can you explain more clearly? In /proc/asound/card1/ is only pcm0p.

I have no obligation to let everyone believe what I am talking about.

Indeed. And we have no obligation to take your claims seriously.

Furthermore, according to your tone, even if I find a lot of relevant theories and patents, you will still use a lot of arguments to refute. However, why should I waste my time talking to someone who doesn't really want to know?

I definitely do want to *know* - as opposed to believe.

Anyway, I continue to use it happily after I actually use effective means to improve the sound quality. A lot of things you talk about will not hinder my happiness. :D

Yes, believers will continue to believe, no matter what the actual facts and evidence are. If that is what makes you happy, then good for you - but some of us prefer a fact-based approach.

I can execute normally: aplay -D plughw:1,0 5.wav -v, where 5.wav is 16bits bit depth and 44.1KHz.

When I execute "aplay -D plughw:1,0 6.wav -v", where 6.wav is 24bits bit depth and 352.8KHz, the system displays:
Code:
Playing WAVE '6.wav' : Signed 24 bit Little Endian in 3bytes, Rate 352800 Hz, St   ereo
aplay: set_params:1297: Unable to install hw params:
ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
FORMAT:  S24_3LE
SUBFORMAT:  STD
SAMPLE_BITS: 24
FRAME_BITS: 48
CHANNELS: 2
RATE: NONE
PERIOD_TIME: (85333 85334)
PERIOD_SIZE: (30105 30106)
PERIOD_BYTES: (180630 180636)
PERIODS: (3 5)
BUFFER_TIME: (341332 341333)
BUFFER_SIZE: 120422
BUFFER_BYTES: 722532
TICK_TIME: 0

It seems that the hardware of my pi itself does not support more than 16bits.

Last edited: