i need some openions....please give me feed back...speaker design...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
::here is my design::

The enclosure will be as such….
It will be:
40in tall
10in wide
14in deep
This comes to be 2.37 cu. Ft.
I will be adding bracing as well as a 3in in diameter port at 7in long to tune the enclosure to 30hz
After all is done I will have about 2 cu ft. + or –
In other words…close enough for government work…

I think this is enough info to start a XO design…or is it?

The enclosure will look something like this…

thanks,
Slice

Attachments

• tmm-variations_vented_my design.gif
    tmm-variations_vented_my design.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 286
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: ::here is my design::

slicemaster101 said:
40in tall x 10in wide x 14in deep/3in in diameter port at 7in long

I think this is enough info to start a XO design…or is it?

This is the concept for the XO. Impedance compensation may be required. Andy will be able to make suggestions wrt L1 & C1. L2's value is a starting point. L1 needs to have very low DCR suggesting a copper foil inductor.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

I think it would be very good for the young lad....

..... if he went to my web site, read up on series x-o's, downloaded my 1st order spreadsheet and had a go at it himslef, then posts his suggested values for L1 and C1, he will almost certainly need some L-pad resistors to trim the sensitivity of the tweeter.

I am more than willing to help by verifying his values !!!!

http://home.iprimus.com.au/gradds/

ok i'll give it a try...

to tell you the truth i have no idea where to start with XO but i will read the articals on your web site this weekend... i have finals this week and i dont have the time to read them till then...

NOTE: where did you get that program for laying out speaker designs planet10.... what is it called?

thanks,
Slice

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: ok i'll give it a try...

slicemaster101 said:
where did you get that program for laying out speaker designs planet10.... what is it called?

It is called VectorWorks. Runs circles around AutoCad and compared to a legal copy of AutoCad leaves you enuff money to buy the computer to run it on. I have been using it for some 14 years now.

And for Mac users i pull a quote from someones email:

"If you download http://download.nemetschek.net/minicad/miscgs/3XConverter.sea.hqx from the
Vectorworks web site, I believe you will find that it is actually Version 5
of MiniCAD (which will do damn near everything an amateur CAD-er will ever
need to do)."

I haven't checked this out yet, but if it is so, that is a very serious free CAD program (They didn't go cross-platform until V7).

dave

!!is their any other way!!

I have read on xo but I am still worried about screwing up the design presses…
Is X OVER PRO ver. 3 a good way to design XO?
It looked pretty good and it does all the work for you…
You put in driver stats…and Walla you can generate a XO in just a few minutes…
Do you think this would be a worth wile investment for me as a beginner and the fact that I am a little lazy and don’t want to learn every thing…

Thanks,
Slice
:confused:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: !!is their any other way!!

slicemaster101 said:
I have read on xo but I am still worried about screwing up the design presses…
Is X OVER PRO ver. 3 a good way to design XO?
It looked pretty good and it does all the work for you…
You put in driver stats…and Walla you can generate a XO in just a few minutes…
Do you think this would be a worth wile investment for me as a beginner and the fact that I am a little lazy and don’t want to learn every thing…

Andy's spreadsheet is probably as close as XO pro.... without actual measurements of your drivers in your box, and a program that can take that as input, you are getting just textbook values. The series XO that Andy 7 i are proposing is simple & very tolerant.

There is no substitute for learning... don't be so lazy or you won't get anywhere in this world.

dave

where can...

I am not being lazy per say… it is just I find the concept of cross overs very alien to me…
Where can I get this spreadsheet thing?
Does it cost any money?
The reason x over pro appealed to me is because it made things simple…
It draws all the schematics and stuff… I looks like all you have to do is punch in the drivers’ specks and put the xo points you want and it generates you and xo based on what you want…
Why would this not be enough?

Thanks,
Slice

Dave, I did not mean that we do not know the things in the cookbook, I meant that we have got our own lives, while a book's sole purpose is to be read. By no means did I want to belittle your, or anybody elses knowledge...

The crossover design and speaker layout is what I would do, If I were making that speaker. Simplicity at its best, very nice.
Slice, I think you should go with this design, it's a good one!

Agreed, there is no substitute for learning. If the subject of crossovers is alien to you, as it once was to me, you should read the book I suggested.
-andy

Great calculator and has easy to understand schematics and how slopes work etc. Especially handy if you are using drivers with more than one impedience. Also very good for finding out a value for a componant to buy to go with one you have, like if you have some pairs of chokes but don't know what caps they would work with in bandpass etc. <www.the12volt.com/caraudio/crosscalc.asp>
Thatch

wow. this being the first thread I've read at these forums has turned out to be a fantastically amusing and simultaneously amazing read. You guys have sent this random Bilpolar child from raging outbursts to a shattered egg, then somehow pieced him back together into making coherent statements and actually reading about XO design before starting the project! I'm utterly amazed. You've got my ear now. *bookmark!* ;)

Re: Grrrrrrr.....

slicemaster101 said:
PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP!

I REALY NEED IT.......:mad:

mrfeedback said:
Hey slicemaster101,

Step 1 - read the previous posts PROPERLY - nobody suggested Yorkville amplifiers.
Self powered cabinets were suggested.

Step 2 - Start acknowledging the guys who are posting replies to you.

Step 3 - Act on the suggestions given, and then come back.

I'm starting to understand how some others here feel and why some abrasive replies get posted !.

Eric.

Originally posted by mrfeedback
Step 5 - Give up the drugs - you are not mature enough to handle them.

Step 5 - Go to literacy school or get a spell checker.

Step 6 - Learn to respect your elders for they have much to give.

Step 7 - Start to act your age, not your shoe size.

Step 8 - Consult a professional psychiatrist in order to resolve your insecurity problems - this would be money much better spent than on any audio system.

Step 9 -

"i am trying to lern but it is realy hard.... "
- The medical term is frontal lobe damage.

"i am sorry i upset some of you but i am realy nieve when it comes to this stuff"
- you are quite naive about most things.

"i hope noone has got the weong idea about me"
- After that outburst I would say that we ALL have a PERFECT understanding of you.

"if so i am sorry but i will not take full blame for everything...... "
- See Step 8

"is it any better then the crown?"
- I don't thik that any of us can be bothered to answer any of your questions

"i realy dont care what you think of me or my opionions or the lack there of......
- I expect that is universally reciprocal.

"i am 17 and i want to lern and grow..."
- The first step in therapy is to recognise the problem.

"so if you feel we got off on the wrong foot...."
- You have the whole forum community on the wrong foot.

"please apolagise and you will get one in return.....ok........"
- No, it is not Ok, and not the merest chance - I would not even sell you my snot.

Now that you have totally alienated yourself, best you disappear
to some other forum where you may be welcome, but that is not here.

Eric.

haha
hoho
:D .... a good and nice battle thread, indeed
they don't do them like this, no more

Lineup - thinks one of the most human topics we have had
where people are emotional & do honestly speaking
however bad it may turn out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.