I made myself a record cleaner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, i am located in Canada and i have started building a ultrasonic record cleaner. Ordered the ultrasonic unit today and thought i would share a good source for motors for the rotation of the albums. They are available in rpms from 1 -300 and only cost $25 US. http://www.servocity.com/html/3-12v_gear_motors.html

I will be using the ultrasonic for cleaning then a Loricraft type record cleaner for drying.
Todd

Jonners
The ebay cleaner is the one I purchased.(offered £150 eventually dealt @£160) It is just large enough. The data sheet says the dish depth is 100mm when it is actually only 96. so there is not much headroom . Remember to make allowances for differences in record size and off centre holes . I had to allow 2mm.
Have tried attached some photos but my file size is too large. Using the lowest resolution I can get via photoshop.
Will retake photos at my cameras lowesr res and try again

Ianmac

Ianmac said:
Jonners
The ebay cleaner is the one I purchased.(offered £150 eventually dealt @£160) It is just large enough. The data sheet says the dish depth is 100mm when it is actually only 96. so there is not much headroom . Remember to make allowances for differences in record size and off centre holes . I had to allow 2mm.
Have tried attached some photos but my file size is too large. Using the lowest resolution I can get via photoshop.
Will retake photos at my cameras lowesr res and try again

Ianmac

Hello Ianmac!
Try this free site. Here you can downsize your pictures to whatever size you prefer. http://photobucket.com/
You can also copy a direct link to your pictures and use the IMG button on top here. Very simpel.
I have used this site for several years, and are very satisfied with it.

regards
Lars

Have cracked photoshop and now have small picture files.

This shows the cleaner on the parked position for loading or unloading
Ianmac

Attachments

• resize loading.jpg
    resize loading.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,878
This shows the rear non works view.You can see I have attached my unit to the cleaner using two of the original screws on the base and a clamp type fitting on the top.

The mechanism is telescopic . The blue plastic tube is the fixed outer and the Aluminiun bar holding the motor unit slides inside it.

Ianmac

Attachments

• resize rearblind.jpg
    resize rearblind.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,801
This shot shows the works. I have used a rear ballrace and a front ballrace for the spindle to avoid making support for the front and to give me the flexibility I think I need. The motor is a standard product from Farnell as are the 2 pulleys and belt.

I have the motor running at 1.5 rpm with the pulleys getting me close to 1 rpm. Supply is 5Vat 200ma.

Ianmac

Attachments

• resizeworks.jpg
    resizeworks.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,784
This shows the parked for storage position. The drive unit can be completely removed by lifting it out of the fixed blue tube and the cleaner used for other purposes.

It is working well .I could do with some advice as to cleaning durations /speed rpm??

Anything one can put in the cleaning mix to reduce the effects of static??

Thanks to all for the encouragement to get this project moving and almost completion
All I need now is a spin drier.

Ianmac

Attachments

• resizeparked..jpg
    resizeparked..jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,727
AudioDon

Haven't played around with temperature. I don't have a good knowledge of Chemistry so am enlisting the help of a retired Chemist re the addition of alcohol as recommended by a number of subscribers.
Am intending to try the 1 in 7 mix mentioned by Audiomix.

Currently getting good results with Scottish tap water - which is similar to the Norwegian variety !- with a tiny drop of washing up liquid

With the number of users of Ultrasonic cleaners increasing by the week we should be able to pull together a list of recommended cleaners and procedures!

Ianmac

Regret no, basic water from Loch Katrine. Have not tried to add some malt whisky yet.

Got some Isopropol today and mixed it with water on a 1 to 7 ratio. with a drop of detergent. Excellent results. Looks like the core recommendation from earlier subscribers is well within the ball park.

I have not tried varying the temperature, bearing in mind the temperature of the solution does rise slightly in use. One tip I did pick up from a UK electronics Co. that sells Ucleaners was to degass a cleaning solution before using it. They recommmend running the cleaner for 5 mins each time a new cleaning solution is loaded before using it for actual cleaning.

Ianmac

Thanks for the response. Just wondering if anybody can elaborate on the action each of the ingredients will contribute. I believe I understand the action of the alcohol is to degrease by dissolving oil; not sure about the detergent.

When detergent is used would it not be necessary to do a rinse on the vinyl afterwards, perhaps using a VPI vacuum machine in conjunction with distilled water?

The detergent is used as a surfactant to break the surface tension in the water. You do NOT want it to "sud" or bubble.

The idea is that if the water still beads up it will not get into the microscopic groves - 10kHz and above. So a drop or two makes it so the water is slick but not suddy.

Basically before you add the surfactant a water bug could probably walk across the top but after I think he would break through the top of the water and fall into the water.

Thanks Todd. It has taken me a while to acquire everything needed for this project. I started collecting parts of it before Christmas.

I just want to say thank you to all you guys for contributing to this thread. Thanks Lars for starting this thread and posting your unit, it looks great.

Thanks as well to Ianmac; I know you have been working on yours for a while, Great job.

Also thanks to the guys over at hifisentralen.no (Lars and others). A lot of good designs over there as well. I just wish I could read the language, but the pictures are pretty, lol.

I really haven’t used it that much to come up with a cleaning solution. We have a reverse osmosis hooked up to our kitchen sink. It is a 6 stage unit with 2 de-ionizing filters on it. When I tried it last night I used the RO water with a couple drops of Dawn dishwashing detergent. I did not like the foam so I sucked it off the top of the bath. I then added some PhotoFlo and that seemed to be the ticket. I will be experimenting more tomorrow.

Be sure to wear your ear plugs when using this type of cleaner. I have more ringing in my left ear today than usual.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.