I just received my Wolfson 4.0 BIY DAC :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yes for direct connection you will need to load the primary with 2k+ it should reflect the same impedance as the next stage, so whatever the input impedance of your amp is, you should try and match this as loading on the primary of the tx. the onetics are 600:600 if its the same as mine, so load with same on both sides as the input impedance of your amp will be reflected to the primaries. its a funny old world in this area, so may be totally incorrect.

one thing i definitely agree on, what would be the point of using tx on the output after the opamp and buffer? the whole point of that mod is avoiding the output stage opamps, galvanic isolation is minimal, especially if you use balanced out; so you would just be adding another component for no reason and rolling off the top end for nothing

Hi:
DIY just got so many choice and just you like.
Good thing take time!
Aster

thank you qusp and asterkao for the assistance, i went ahead and connected the OPT after the 1st resistor, i didn't remove anything so i had 2 different outputs active, OPTs and opamps. by having both outputs i was able to switch from the input selector of my amp and compare. To my surprise, volume was almost identical, so apart from the KLUNK!! when switching it was easy to compare.

the sound from the opt's is different as it tames the very sparkly highs i sometimes get (i am now using 4 x opa627 + 2 x ad8610, and the AD's are known because of their rather bright presentation) which is a good thing, bass is also excellent and i would say it is fuller than with opamps, which is also a good thing...but for now i will keep the opamps, replace caps, test some more opamps and save the opt's to test with a chap USB CS4398 i just ordered, i am sure with a more optimized implementation the opt's would sound even better..but before i fix them definitively inside a enclosure i want to test them with the CS chip...

Hi all,

I've been watching this thread for a while. I'm a big proponent of the use of OPTs with V out dac chips. There are a few misconceptions that have surfaced in this thread regarding the need for a load on either the dac chip output or the OPT.

Bifilar wound OPTs do not want or need a load to operate at their best. To my experience, a voltage output dac does not want to see a load that draws any appreciable current either.

Impedance matching is not advised for a voltage type signal source. Impedance matching is used for maximum power transfer, not signal voltage transfer. When you impedance match you lose 6db of the signal voltage right off the bat, and unduly load down the dac outputs.

A good read is the article by Bill Whitfield on audio transformers, found on the Jensen Transformers website in their white papers section. It gives you a good feel for proper usage.

An email to BudP would be a good idea too.

I'm sure no expert, just trying to be helpful.

Best, Bill

many jensens are already a lower impedance on the primary than they are on the output side, so the reflected impedance is already balanced. loading the secondary is a bad idea as it will increase noise, but experimenting with loading the primary is worthwhile in my experience. i havent done a lot with vout dacs though, but some have optimum loading that needs to be taken into account, some will not like a low impedance load at all. easy to experiment though, just get some trimmers and turn till it sounds good.

check this thread. opinions are all over the place, but all including me agree loading the secondary is a bad idea, only loading the primary should be played with

Last edited:
I can't argue with The Man but I can state that trafo impedance is not a fixed number as many think. It is merely a performance rating, meaning it will meet specs operating in that environment. The ratio is however fixed and it will reflect impedance in both directions equally, regardless of the DC resistance of the windings.

Naturally, experimenting with the perceived source impedance can have a dramatic effect. I'm wondering about this particular implementation with 4 dac chips in parallel, but also with quite a bit of series resistance on the primary side. I would imagine eliminating the ground shunt and lowering the series resistance to a couple hundred ohms would be closer to optimum for the trafos and the dac chips as long as there is no ground path.

Best, Bill

sure haha The Man, thats funny if you are referring to me, even if sarcasm :D i'm hardly the man, i'm just saying its worth playing with. i never even owned this particular dac remember. but i have found loading the primary to always bring some benefits, though hard to predict how much, so i bought some nice vishay bulk metal foil trimmers to play with.

would imagine eliminating the ground shunt and lowering the series resistance to a couple hundred ohms would be closer to optimum for the trafos and the dac chips as long as there is no ground path.
you may well be right, i hadnt thought about that, but 4 dacs in parallel outputz will be quite low. tweak n see imo. i do seem to remember some of the guys finding the output quite hot when tapping the outputs directly

Last edited:
dac mods

Hi

I just replace all the 4k resistors after all of wm8740 with 100ohm
and the 1.5k to the ground with 10k

I took the signal from the 1.5k resistor only from + of left and wright channel
and send it throug solen 4.7uf to my amp

diy analog 1.jpg

DSCF0988.jpg
I just cant believe my ears...!!!

The best mod i have done to this dac
All other mods was just for fun

Hi

I just replace all the 4k resistors after all of wm8740 with 100ohm
and the 1.5k to the ground with 10k

I took the signal from the 1.5k resistor only from + of left and wright channel
and send it throug solen 4.7uf to my amp

View attachment 215517

View attachment 215518
I just cant believe my ears...!!!

The best mod i have done to this dac
All other mods was just for fun

Hi, Thanks for the info, Does the output increase or decrease with this mod, compared to stock?

And In what way that you can describe how the sound improved, Just curious.

Thanks

Hi, Thanks for the info, Does the output increase or decrease with this mod, compared to stock?

And In what way that you can describe how the sound improved, Just curious.

Thanks

Hi
the output increase a lot with this mod and with my 6 opa627 the music
was much more detailed and the dynamics was much much better with
incredible good bass

As i was looking for more soft hearing i took the signal only from +
right after the 4 resistors after the 8740
and the sound become as soft as i was looking for, keeping all the other
good characteristics but some high frequence noise came that i canot yet
neutralize
:wave2:

Last edited:
Hi
the output increase a lot with this mod and with my 6 opa627 the music
was much more detailed and the dynamics was much much better with
incredible good bass

As i was looking for more soft hearing i took the signal only from +
right after the 4 resistors after the 8740
and the sound become as soft as i was looking for, keeping all the other
good characteristics but some high frequence noise came that i canot yet
neutralize
:wave2:

Hi
i neutralize high frequence noise with one small change to the source
of signal. I took the signal from the output for xlr ( only from + )
diy.jpg

diy analog 2.jpg

Howdy guys. I think this is my first post in this particular forum. I just read through this entire thread, and I'm quite curious in this DAC. I'm considering purchasing the balanced version, and I was wondering if there was a thread for that too. I figure the design is quite similar, so a new thread might not need to be created.

Hello fellow member.

I just bought this DAC, all perfect and the sound is very musical to me.

But i got 1 problem, i use Realtek ALC889 with digital coax,
The highest playback only 24bit/96Khz, why i can't play 24bit/192Khz?

When i test tone 24bit/192Khz, the LED in Coax just turn off.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.