Hypothesis as to why some prefer vinyl: Douglas Self

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Mooly. Yes, there are noise differences, there should be. These are two different masters, one is a remaster for CD/SACD, the other a 1/2 speed master from Mobile Fidelity. They do sound somewhat different.

And then there is a processed version of each. One is the vinyl that has been high pass filtered at 20Hz, 36dB/octave and the bass mixed to mono below 150Hz. The vinylized CD track has noise <150Hz from my Rek-o-Kut Rondine Jr turntable mixed in. If I left the noise above 150Hz, it was too obvious.

What I am hoping for is to know if anyone hears differences in LF phase or ambiance, and if you do, what does that do for you? I hear it, don't know if I like it or not. Your comments about the LF envelope are interesting.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The 'noise envelope' impression was the best way I could describe what I heard on A and E.

I'll have another listen tomorrow as I'm wondering what this low level garbled noise is that I hear. I'll try and see if I can differentiate one from 'tother of the two that appeared to have this.

Yes, there are noise differences, there should be. These are two different masters, one is a remaster for CD/SACD, the other a 1/2 speed master from Mobile Fidelity. They do sound somewhat different.

Any chance you can post higher rez versions of these files?

A & E are the winners for me, especially the very beginning where you can hear the watch ticking on the left channel, plus the bass is really solid and deep. I can hear a faint humming in the background that sounds like motor noise.

B sounds like doo doo at the beginning, where it sounds like someone is hitting a cardboard box. Plus there's some upper bass noise that sounds quite strange. E isn't much better.

jeff

An intriguing theory has been put forward in the Letter section of Hifi News (December 2015, p123) as to why people assert they prefer vinyl to digital, despite the undeniable problems with noise, distortion, clicks, etc etc. Mr Patrick Wallace points out that vinyl signals always come with a background of low-frequency noise due to pressing limitations & so on, and that some of this is vertical with respect to the stylus, and therefore appears out of phase and cannot be localised by the ears. He says it therefore is interpreted as 'surround sound' ambience on the recording.

This is the first hypothesis I have come across that gives a plausible reason why vinyl, with its inescapable limitations, might be preferred to digital, and I would be glad to see some discussion of this on DIYaudio.

I'm sure you are all wondering if there would be a market for a vinylising box that would add suitable out-of-phase low-frequency noise to clean signals.

I like Vinyl because the music on Vinyl has more dynamic range then the music on CD's. I know it should not be that way but a lot of music is recorded too loud on a CD. So constant loudness and add a dash of digital distortion. When the last CD player died it was not replaced.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Pano
I listened to the four files through headphones.

In B, heartbeat has a characteristic echo
In C, heartbeat is a bit muffled.
In A and E, heartbeat sound almost the same, in A a tad more ‘open’

Then I turned up the volume and listened to the silence at the beginning.
A and E have a hum like noise.
B has a low hiss.
C is silent

Pano, the low freq content of the vinyl in all the spectrums you posted (#564, 566, 567), is centred around 10Hz where arm/cart resonance lives. So, don’t’ blame much CD for HP filtering by looking at these two spectrums (#566, 567)
Then, remembering that vertical record wrap produces an out of phase signal and radial eccentricity produces an in phase signal, we are able to comment on the condition of the records by looking at the lowest frequencies the amplitude of the red/blue curves (Your Sinatra’s record is in very good condition).

Thanks for investigating and sharing.

Hi George, actually division into vertical and lateral planes is entirely artificial. There is only one continuous spring-mass system in 2D

Hi Lucky
You are correct of course.
I had in mind the great frequency separation btn vert/horiz resonances with that arm, which is only good IMO (as is also the highish freq of the vertical resonance)

The big downside of short arms is vertical 'warp scub' or extra pitch variation with warp. Shows up with some linear arms too, because of short length.

True!

toward the weeds we head

I can hear the whistle of the referee

George

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks George!
So, don’t’ blame much CD for HP filtering by looking at these two spectrums (#566, 567)
True, I was just thinking that the recordings from vinyl have massive VLF that the CD's don't. Getting rid of that might make them sound more like CD. Or maybe not, so far the file listening test isn't conclusive.

Just FWIW, I ran a reverse RIAA filter on silent groove noise from my TT to have a look at the spectrum from the Stanton 680 cart, before it gets the RIAA boost and cut. Rumble is my biggest problem, followed closely by 120Hz hum then the arm resonance. The RIAA curve makes the arm resonance the biggest peak.

True, I was just thinking that the recordings from vinyl have massive VLF that the CD's don't. Getting rid of that might make them sound more like CD. Or maybe not, so far the file listening test isn't conclusive.
Thanks everso for posting your content here, Pano, much appreciated.

The VLF in vinyl mostly has its origin in mechanical headshell motion, and this is only audible as FM (pitch modulation) - no amount of high pass filtering can 'fix' this once it's there it's there. The baseband VLF content itself is subsonic and most domestic systems can't reproduce it, beyond woofer pumping - so many preamps filter it anyway. The VLF doesn't amplitude modulate programme material. So audible effects really are 'just' FM or pitch modulation. FM doesn't show up in spectral analysis of programme content, other than as a slight smear, it's effectively invisible but not necessarily inaudible.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just FWIW, I ran a reverse RIAA filter on silent groove noise from my TT to have a look at the spectrum from the Stanton 680 cart, before it gets the RIAA boost and cut. Rumble is my biggest problem, followed closely by 120Hz hum then the arm resonance. The RIAA curve makes the arm resonance the biggest peak.

Yes Pano, I agree.
I attach two FFTs (different frequency resolution,) from the same recording. Green trace is the unamplified, nonequalized output of an Audio Technica AT110E reading a test groove. (0dB=1.286Vrms)
My past observations make me say that at ~10Hz the signal coming out from the cartridge is an equivalent to a modulation of 1.5 to 3 cm/s.
This is the result of signal amplification by ~12db due to arm/cartridge resonance.

The actual vinyl content at subsonic frequencies is an equivalent of a 0.2-0.4 cm/s miniscule modulation velocity.

The VLF doesn't amplitude modulate programme material.

Lucky, no. There is AM modulation and plenty of it. One can not see it with music material but with single test tones or noise, it comes out. If you want more FFTs or wav files for to test yourself, tell me.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/276155-vinyl-coefficient-friction-4.html#post4372884

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/loun...ch-preamplifier-part-ii-4500.html#post3703271

FM doesn't show up in spectral analysis of programme content, other than as a slight smear, it's effectively invisible but not necessarily inaudible
Again you surprise me. FM shows up as sidebands left and right of the tone peak when observing FFTs of test tones. And when we zoom-in high in frequency axis, we see the result from all the intermodulation products

I don’t comment on AM or FM audibility but someone here mentioned Leslies:D

George

Attachments

• Pano.JPG
    Pano.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My past observations make me say that at ~10Hz the signal coming out from the cartridge is an equivalent to a modulation of 1.5 to 3 cm/s.

The actual vinyl content at subsonic frequencies is an equivalent of a 0.2-0.4 cm/s miniscule modulation velocity.
Good way to look at it, George. :up: Relate the noise to the modulation velocity of an engraved signal.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Finally got some time to listen. testing the poweramp to cure a trip problem so slowly ramping the volume up. So far I think A and E and B&C pair up in terms of closeness. Now what follows is clearly based on listening again and again so new things pop out on each listening, but I was focusing on the heartbeat and the panned synth noises.

A: heatbeat sounds like a heartbeat, panning is flat left to right and jumps over the centre.
B: Heartbeat sounds like coming from 2 kick drums with a distinct spacial seperation. synth panning is an oval rather than flat left right
C: Heartbeat as B but more echo. panning oval more pronounced.
E: For want of a better work, muddier than B or C, better than A

I'll take another listen at higher levels to see if that changes things, but a hint of tinnitus in right ear so I'm not in 'reference' mode. I couldn't say at the moment which was which, but if pushed would say C was most likely the CD.

I should also note my speakers do not plum the stygian depths. Something on my list to fix since the wife got me a round tuit for xmas. So anything below 50Hz I am unlikely to spot.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for the report, Bill. I will post the key tonight, Hawaiian time (GMT+10). I was hoping Douglas would get chance to listen.

So far no one seems to be getting a feel of surround sound from any of these files - is that right?
On my system there is a weird pressure right at my ears on the low notes from the vinyl and the vinylized versions. Maybe it's a room mode. 8Hz and 16Hz are my lowest modes.

Lucky, no. There is AM modulation and plenty of it. One can not see it with music material but with single test tones or noise, it comes out.
George, there's a big difference between summing VLF content with programme material, and amplitude modulation. There is no (prominent) mechanism for amplitude modulation by VLF in vinyl, whereas there is no doubt that plenty of VLF content is transcribed by the cartridge. I hope you can see the difference......! There is no low frequency Leslie style AM of programme material in vinyl, IME.

What is at issue is whether Leslie style FM modulation (pitch modulation) can separately affect in-phase and out-of-phase programme content ie become spatial L-R modulation. To examine this, I just measured in-phase and out-of-phase VLF (<30Hz) FM modulation of a 3kHz vinyl test tone, and found them to identical in magnitude and time (phase). When you think about it, it must be this way because FM arises by 'virtual' speed variation caused by stylus 'scrubbing' which is the same for vertical and lateral planes of stylus movement.

I found that out-of phase programme material experiences the same FM modulation as in=phase programme material in terms of magnitude and time, due to all causes below 30Hz.

There's no question that test tones show up FM modulation at cart/arm resonant frequency (eg B&K)- I've never seem evidence of prominent AM modulation and doubt it. With programme material FM spectrum smudges FM sidebands so that they are invisible to the spectrum analyser, that is what I mean.

Leslies. Yes, Leslies tell us everything we need to know here, perhaps.

Last edited:
So far no one seems to be getting a feel of surround sound from any of these files - is that right?
Can't speak for these files, but I have many various vinyl mastered versions of DSOTM and most of them are different as to spatial presentation. The most extreme I have is a NZ Harvest green label mastering, which gets pretty spacey in parts, also is definitely remixed as to levels and sound. Point is that DSOTM, for whatever reason, already has tons of spatial content, even as 'standard' whatever that might be. One has to be careful as to comparing versions, because there are many of them. Just look at the track layout/groove spacing of a few copies...........! As to CD, well I have DSOTM in one or two versions, but none move me for whatever reason.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Point is that DSOTM, for whatever reason, already has tons of spatial content, even as 'standard' whatever that might be.
Yes, it does. That's one of the reasons I chose it! :) And yes, the CD and the vinyl masters are noticeable different. So perhaps a monophonic vinyl recording would be a better test. Leave the out of phase LF artifacts then remove them to hear if there is any enhancement or change. Easy to do with DSP.

Anyone have a good mono vinyl rip we can try?

Something 100 to 200 posts back reminded me of this - it's meandering, but I get to the point in a few more paragraphs as noted:

I recall circa 1977 when my fellow college students didn't believe me (at least one even got angry!) when I said the Dual 1229 used a spring to adjust the stylus tracking force. Even as an EE student, when I saw the ads I understood the mechanics of the tonearm and of it being "dynamically stable" (and thus ability to play a record vertically or upside down, as had been previously demonstrated at some audio show). But the ad on the back cover of (I think it was) Popular Electronics was quite explicit about what was in that little cylindrical adjustment at the tonearm pivot, both in the drawing and in the text. Otherwise, why not just have the tracking scale on the counterweight (which then dynamically unbalances the arm), like so many other TT's did?

But (thinking of their objections to springs, but also just brainstorming) I had the idea back then of using a magnet (fixed to the horizontal moving part of the gimbal) and a coil around it (fixed to the tonearm) with DC going through it to generate the tracking force (and likewise for the antiskating force). This has the advantage of being able to change these forces while a disc is playing, and thus optimize them by sound. The antiskating could even be changed over the tonearm angle (using one or more lights and photocells activated by horizontal gimbal shading) that interpolate antiskating over the settings of several potentiometers.

(Relevant Paragraph follows)

What also came to mind is the ability to DYNAMICALLY change the tracking (and of course antiskating) force using low-frequency (say, around 15Hz and below) stylus movement as input, in order to reduce or nearly eliminate it. This would servo the arm movement so that the stylus remains fixed relative to the cartridge, and make it better track a warped record and greatly reduce the subsonic content of the cartridge output (which highpass filter would do). It would maintain the stylus angle (more nearly) constant, thus reducing the FM modulation (which no filtering can possibly do). The FM has always been obvious to me at high "bump" levels (that disturb the arm but aren't quite big enough to make it skip), and I suspect it's audible at very low levels, as the 10Hz or so compliance/arm resonance is often rather high Q and thus VISIBLE with very little excitation of the tonearm or turntable.

I've been wanting to do this or parts of it (at least adjusting tracking and antiskating with knobs on the plinth instead of at the tonearm) off and on ever since, but never did. Has anyone (DIYer or manufacturer) ever done anything like this?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Key

OK, here is what the files are:
  • A=CD Rip
  • B=Vinyl with 20Hz HP and mono under 150Hz
  • C=Vinyl straight
  • E=CD with empty groove noise added.
Most listeners identified that A&E, B&C sounded similar, as of course they do.
Seems most people heard the difference in the 2 masters. Did anyone like E? That was the CD with groove noise, rumble and arm+cart noise added in. It did not seem to get much love.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A=CD Rip
B=Vinyl with 20Hz HP and mono under 150Hz
C=Vinyl straight
E=CD with empty groove noise added.

I dont have good hearing but I like Sample C. Sample A and B sounded same to me.

Initial listen and B and C both have an odd flutter in the hf on the left channel.
This is not present on A and E.

A and E both have high levels of hiss and also a weird hum that seems to wander in and out of phase
The hiss in A seemed a little purer or whiter.

At this point A and E sound a little lightweight compared to B and C. I also can't shake the impression that there is some kind of noise envelope following the bass of A and E.

Which do I prefer though. Well it has to be B or C really.
C seems the most musically enjoyable.

A & E are the winners for me, especially the very beginning where you can hear the watch ticking on the left channel, plus the bass is really solid and deep. I can hear a faint humming in the background that sounds like motor noise.

B sounds like doo doo at the beginning, where it sounds like someone is hitting a cardboard box. Plus there's some upper bass noise that sounds quite strange. E isn't much better.

In B, heartbeat has a characteristic echo
In C, heartbeat is a bit muffled.
In A and E, heartbeat sound almost the same, in A a tad more ‘open’

Then I turned up the volume and listened to the silence at the beginning.
A and E have a hum like noise.
B has a low hiss.
C is silent
Some good ears for sure, you all heard more than I did. Neither vinyl nor CD was a clear winner. The CD certainly does have more hiss than the vinyl, which is funny. Different master. Nobody seemed to like the vinyl because of any surround effect so that didn't work. :xeye:

Perhaps it's better to try this with mono vinyl.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.