HP339A distortion analyser

Here I've not seen what is in there
looking for a view inside:

Attachments

• BNC Adapter.jpg
    BNC Adapter.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 208
Just wondering has anyone ever looked into extending the range of the 339A with a -90dB distortion step. With all of the tweaks to improve the noise floor it seems having a further step down to -90dB would be nice if it was easy to implement. It would be slick to be able to switch between -80 and -90. What got me thinking about this is that I bought an Amber 3501 recently and having the lower distortion ranges that the Amber offers makes it a bit nicer to use when measuring something at the bottom of the range.

KC,

That is an interesting throught. I'm wonder if this can be done on the switches
alone? This could be tricky though. We'd have to either move the caps and
resistors down one tab on the switch terminals and add the correct values for
the -90 dB location. OR delete -80 and place the -90 values there.

Anyone else have thoughts about this?

Cheers,

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Try hanging an AC voltmeter on the monitor output and make sure the SNR is low enough for this to work. I'm currently using a good AC voltmeter (Kenwood) on the monitor output of a Shibasoku 725 because the THD+N falls off the bottom of the internal scale at -90. The external meter gets me down to -116 with -110 FS. That's pretty much SOTA today. Playing games with scales and steps can become really confusing. Getting the divider resistors right with such a change is also confusing.

Another option (borrowed from the 725) would be a +10 dB switch. A toggle switch and a 10 dB amp in front of the meter circuit you can switch in when you need it. Get an illuminated switch so you know when its engaged.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
We could use the "AM" position on the switch for the ground, or use the AM input jack for the hole to mount another switch.
Moving the entire scale up to exclude the 100% range might make the best sense. A new overlay could be justified. My only issue with losing the top ranges are for voltage measurements with high level signals.

-Chris

Ah Demian, Did you have any mods for the Meter Circuit in the
Shibasoku 725, before you could get low enough meter readings
on the AC meter? What the sensitivity (Ohms/volt) of the external
meter? Just curious.

Always interesting stuff going on. Good thinking.

Try hanging an AC voltmeter on the monitor output and make sure the SNR is low enough for this to work. I'm currently using a good AC voltmeter (Kenwood) on the monitor output of a Shibasoku 725 because the THD+N falls off the bottom of the internal scale at -90. The external meter gets me down to -116 with -110 FS. That's pretty much SOTA today. Playing games with scales and steps can become really confusing. Getting the divider resistors right with such a change is also confusing.

Cheers,