How to sell amplifiers (cheat the sound)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan, I can't believe it. Do you agree with the wrong accusation that "cheat the sound .. is common practice in the audio industry"
and that it "t is common in CD players, DAC, phono"? Or am I just misunderstanding a special sense of humor?

I don't call it 'cheating'- that would mean that someone sells something different than what they say they sell.
But it is sure that after the design process is done, many manufacturers have a final listening session where they can finetune 'voice' the product. Mostly done with speakers, but also electronics.
It is important that the unit sounds 'good' to a customer who auditions it, instead of looks good on the scope (yes I know it is not that black and white).

A noted exception was Peter Walker from Quad, he once told an interviewer that often he didn't listen to a new product until after it was in the stores.

Jan

This thread is about presumed cheating by treating the frequency response of amps and it is even stated
that this works with some automatism when a speaker is connected instead of a resistive load. Please read
everything. Can you show a single example of an amplifier with one of these features?

You have agreed to a conspiracy before in http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/273021-sound-card-conspiracy.html of the same OP, but obviously ironically.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This thread is about presumed cheating by treating the frequency response of amps and it is even stated that this works with some automatism when a speaker is connected instead of a resistive load. Please read
everything. Can you show a single example of an amplifier with one of these features?

You have agreed to a conspiracy before in http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/273021-sound-card-conspiracy.html of the same OP, but obviously ironically.

OK , I did not read the whole thread and am not planning to. But I'm familiar with voicing equipment - it already starts with the selection of the mike for the recording. So I am not surprised at the finding of the OP.

It is also true that combinations of amps and speakers (especially if the amp has highish Zout and the speaker has wobbly impedance response) can exerbate or cancel such things.

So there.

Jan

I still don't get what the issue is with an amplifier that is meant to give a nice listening experience and to improve this has some eq built in. No one of my friends that don't have anything to do with engineering and/or audio know what "frequency response" is and none of them care as long the music "sounds right".

Huh, I am not going to borrow each junk amp from the 80s in the used store to show you a bunch of -90 db graph , no way.

If you are knowledgeable you will know that it works both with speakers impedance tricks and tone controls that activate on a speaker load.

The Quantum asylum is a not too expensive but extremely precise gear which only tolerate a 2vpp signal input and clips easily. for the FOURTH time I used voltage divider resistors and did a control test, I used 2 types of speakers with approximately the same results.

The amp cost 1000$ in 1981 and is made in Germany. Owned it from new.

At least FOUR people posted here to back up what I said.

What I am saying is a positive for diyers who aim to be honest and not to marketing sales. We also just need to be realistic about our self made amps in terms of "details" and bass extension compare to many commercial gears which are cheating the frequency curve. A simple cap and resistors can boost the bass anywhere in a transistor circuit, so it is not that obvious, some activate when sensing louder bass signals, nowadays they have sound shaping processors. DIY stuff is honest.

The Quantum asylum is a not too expensive but extremely precise gear which only tolerate a 2vpp signal input and clips easily.
Um, Quantum Asylum doesn't agree, from their web site: https://www.quantasylum.com/content/Products/QA401.aspx

Analog Input

Input Connector
Differential, BNC x 2 for Left and BNC x 2 for Right
Input Z
100K Ohm
Input Coupling
AC, Fc = 1.6 Hz
Input Full Scale, No Attenuator
5.6Vpp Single Ended (one input grounded) = 6 dBV = 2 Vrms
+/- 2.8 Vpp Differential = 0 dBV = 1 Vrms
Input Full Scale, With Attenuator
56.4 Vpp Single Ended (one input grounded) = 26 dBV = 20 Vrms
+/- 28.2 Vpp Differential = 20 dBV = 10 Vrms
Input Overload Protection
Yes, automatic overload protection up to +/- 56.4V
Input Noise Floor
-113 dBV (Input Shorted, atten off, 20 to 20 KHz, 32K FFT, avg 5, Hann, 48 Ksps)
THD
-108.5 dB
(Loopback, single ended, L- shorted to ground, atten off, 32K FFT, 5 Hann, 48Ksps, – 10 dBV)
Isolated
Yes. The PC USB and digital section is fully isolated from the analog section (infinity ohms). Difference between the PC ground and the analog ground must remain below 30V.

So maybe you should get rid of your protective voltage divider and try again.

Mike

Jesus C. I have the QA400. I had to use the divider for the tone sweep.
Hey I don't care, the amp is worth 25$ now on ebay, it is a hifi telefunken receiver.
However, I won't name other amps because they are currently selling them.

In post #26 you said:

I am using the QA401 48K/192KSPS 24-BIT USB AUDIO ANALYZER
I use voltage dividers to not overload the inputs

I use also QA101 Mixed Signal Oscilloscope
$409
Hence my reference to the specs for the QA401 which say the inputs are overload protected and have a maximum input voltage of over 50 volts pp.
And what's the problem mentioning a product that is still in production? It happens all the time here and I haven't heard of any casualties yet. :rolleyes:

Mike

Last edited:
it is a hifi telefunken receiver.

Thank you for yet another tiny bit of additional information.
The model number of this 1981 Telefunken is still missing.
But it is very likely that the loudness was activated (post 1).

Please show us the "measurement" results of your amps also,
as offered for sale on amplificateurslegrand.ca and taken with
the same settings etc. Few people have test equipment like this,
QA 400, QA 401, QA 101 and what you call Tecktronics.
Thank you in advance.

This proposition is complete BS. Many years ago, in the 1970s I started my career in a factory testing audio amps as they were completed. The response was flat with 3dB points at about 20Hz and 30kHz. In the ensuing years I have been involved closely in the "high end" audio business with several amplifier manufacturing companies. The tested frequency response of all audio amplifiers I had anything to do with would have been essentially ruler flat between at least 20Hz and 20kHz. There is no such thing as voicing an amplifier by tweaking it's frequency response, that belongs to the loudspeaker designer who must work with imprecise transducers. The OP is measuring a worn out pile of electronics from the beginning of the 1980s into an unspecified load. Time to close the thread.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Somebody deleted his post with a PS Audio test report that confirmed a bass lift in the measurements.
Thank you for the example which I consider to be an exception.
PS Audio Sprout integrated amplifier Measurements | Stereophile.com

Please, gabdx, at least tell me which german amp of 1981 that you own from new (your post 50) shows
the abnormal (normal in the sense of common for you) response.
I or one of my friends may be responsible for that one. I promise to buy it back for the full price if your assertion is true.

Oh, that guy would be me, just for the record. Not trying to hide or anything.

I deleted it after realizing the point of the thread is not to laugh at weird stuff some companies do to fool the gullible. But to allege that the entire industry is doing it... which obviously isn't the case from all measurents read and personally done (Well I've read enough to know that the Sprout was a strange one!). To point to an example that exists, even if it represents just a small amount of all products out there, would add fuel to the flame of misrepresentation.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I haven't ever measured an amp or CD player that was that tilted. Even my old Dynaco ST-35 was flatter. Odd.
But as was stated above, a lot of people need and enjoy some loudness curve. Most don't listen at mixing and mastering levels, so some loudness boost can help the tonal balance. Most consumers don't have great room acoustics, either, which can be helped by a recessed midrange.

To me it's only cheating if you claim flat response when there isn't one. Or is there a general expectation that all amps are flat?

The OP is talking about a tone control (where the knob is at "center" position). An amplifier (not tone control) is normally designed flat unless a tone control is built around feedback like some cheap vintage integrated amps (such as cheap Marantz).

I don't pay attention to TC design around feedback, but may be (a guess) there is difficulty there to make the response flat as the circuit is usually very simple. Who knows.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.