How to - Distortion Measurements with REW

The Behringer does not have galvanic isolated usb port and not true differential I/O either. So, if connected to a desktop and/or run interconnects from the DUT both for in and out with ground connection, then ground loops might occur.
The EMU has bal input but SE-output. On the pcb I discovered additional op-amps delivering the balanced signal. So I connected the left channel to an additional TRS jack for a fully balanced signal chain.

The Behringer does not have galvanic isolated usb port and not true differential I/O either. So, if connected to a desktop and/or run interconnects from the DUT both for in and out with ground connection, then ground loops might occur.
Also what i guessed about the input/output !

Do you recall, how excatly you connect your's ? - Cablesize / quality, lenght, XLR connection on pin 1,2 & 3, TR orTRS plug on output :giggle:

Jesper.

As I said, I've modified mine to bypass front panel connectors and installed TRS on the rear. XLR only make sense for balanced mic otherwise use standard TRS. For loop measurements of the soundcard I don't recall any issues using an ordinary interconnect from input to output. But for measuring amps I always used it together with Pete Millett's interface which provides isolation.

As I said, I've modified mine to bypass front panel connectors and installed TRS on the rear. XLR only make sense for balanced mic otherwise use standard TRS. For loop measurements of the soundcard I don't recall any issues using an ordinary interconnect from input to output. But for measuring amps I always used it together with Pete Millett's interface which provides isolation.
Connection from soundcard out to amp in is via shielded cable and a passive attenuator (10k poti). Balanced or unbalanced. And this is the route for the one and only GND connection between both. The return path is balanced - you will need this anyway measuring bridge output of class d-amps. There is another attenuator in between. This cable is shielded as well, but shield is connected exclusively to soundcard gnd to break any gnd loop. In case of a single ended tube output the input- is tied to amp gnd, input+ to amp out hot.

Connection from soundcard out to amp in is via shielded cable and a passive attenuator (10k poti). Balanced or unbalanced. And this is the route for the one and only GND connection between both. The return path is balanced - you will need this anyway measuring bridge output of class d-amps. There is another attenuator in between. This cable is shielded as well, but shield is connected exclusively to soundcard gnd to break any gnd loop. In case of a single ended tube output the input- is tied to amp gnd, input+ to amp out hot.

Hi hey...

Are you ref. to this EMU setup which was posted in this thread regarding the GND connection to the soundcard ?

Jesper.

Attachments

• EMU setup.png
    EMU setup.png
    147.9 KB · Views: 145
Hi folks, having bought all the gear last year I still have no idea but do have a new laptop so am trying to get this setup working again but will need handholding through this. My audio interface is a Motu M2. I would like to first of all set it up to do a loopback? to measure its own distortion?

So in preferences what do I choose and what do i connect together on the Motu?

Attachments

• Motu rew pref.png
    Motu rew pref.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 84
Hi folks, having bought all the gear last year I still have no idea but do have a new laptop so am trying to get this setup working again but will need handholding through this. My audio interface is a Motu M2. I would like to first of all set it up to do a loopback? to measure its own distortion?

So in preferences what do I choose and what do i connect together on the Motu?

Ok, figured the loopback test out, results look good?

Attachments

• Motu loopback 8.1.22.png
    Motu loopback 8.1.22.png
    114.8 KB · Views: 125
Looking at the specs of the Motu I would expect even better performance. Keep in mind that the sweetspots of THD+N are found on higher levels than for THD. And these are separate for audio in and audio out. Line-In is the best input available for measurements. I would be quite interested in the final sweet spots of your Motu.

Looking at the specs of the Motu I would expect even better performance. Keep in mind that the sweetspots of THD+N are found on higher levels than for THD. And these are separate for audio in and audio out. Line-In is the best input available for measurements. I would be quite interested in the final sweet spots of your Motu.
I do you mean better loopback performance? If so what settings would you use in rew?