how to build a pre using S&B TX-102 transformers

Re: TX102 clunk smash!

KevinTams said:

One issue is that when I select a different source I get a thump in the speakers if I forget to turn down the volume. Anyone else get this, is there a cure?

Hello,

this happens when you switch source ground. The potential of the ground of the sources may differ, so it makes a bump when switching.
To avoid this you should either conect all input grounds (and don't switch) or connetc these grounds with resistors to make that bump smaller.

This happens especially with sources with switching power supplies (e.g. DVD players); difference between earth and device ground up to 60 volts and more...

Cheers
Christian.

Peter Daniel said:
And here's my humble effort with the preamp. The current version is all aluminum, but I have a feeling it does not sound exactly the same as acrylic.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hello Peter,

you lucky one got cans without dents ... mine are not so smooth that I could show them in the living room ...

and of cource PMMA does sound better that alloy ... wood would also be good.

Cheers
Christian.

KT said:
What was your inspriration when you designed it?

I guess one might say Shanling. ;)
I also made a black&white version, which had slightly different appeal.

Attachments

• pre1.0.jpg
    pre1.0.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 883
Sorry, but I do not have any photos of the rear side.

The rear side has 1 input and 1 output for each transformer, ie there is 4 medium quality golden chassie females on the rear.

Hard wired ground connection for all 4 transformers.

The case is from ELFA. ELFA

I can swtich inputs and outputs rather easily, and even though S&B share the same nice and sweet sound, the sound from the S&B transformers are just so much better. More details, more dynamics, more intensity, more speed, firmer bass, snare drums much better on S&B.
This has been verified on two totally different system in two different homes.

Of couse there is a price difference and the S&B should be better.

Sigurd

Sigurd Ruschkow said:
... the sound from the S&B transformers are just so much better. More details, more dynamics, more intensity, more speed, firmer bass, snare drums much better on S&B.

Of couse there is a price difference and the S&B should be better.

I am glad to hear that ... having spent the big money.

I am still impressed with the sound of these TVCs.

Cheers
Christian.

Hi all,
I'm sorry but differently from all of you, after more than 10 days of listening, my experience with theS&B TX-102 is not completly positive. I'm really impressed with the quality of mid-high and high they are beautiful and the best I have heard. But the low are really missing the punch and precision I have with ordinary pot. This is specially with digital source, which it is a tda1543 direct output. I 'm wondering if something is wrong in my trans setup.
Gio

Hello,

maybe direct output is not best choice here? Anyway, I tried an 8xTDA1543 DAC and was really disappointed ... but that's another story.

I just can't believe that there is less bass punch compared to an resistor pot ... thet is opposite to my experience. There must be a mistake ... How did you wire the input? Photos?

Cheers
Christian.

Peter Daniel said:
And here's my humble effort with the preamp. The current version is all aluminum, but I have a feeling it does not sound exactly the same as acrylic.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Peter,

Wow!

My trannies are not as polished as those are. Did you do any finishing to the cans? Also, since I know the cans are an EMI nickel shield, and that nickel EMI shield works better when annealed (so assume the cans are annealed); did you do anything to ensure you didn't... erm... de-temper the cans?

Thx

Konnichiwa,

patriz said:
I'm sorry but differently from all of you, after more than 10 days of listening, my experience with theS&B TX-102 is not completly positive. I'm really impressed with the quality of mid-high and high they are beautiful and the best I have heard. But the low are really missing the punch and precision I have with ordinary pot. This is specially with digital source, which it is a tda1543 direct output. I 'm wondering if something is wrong in my trans setup.

Possibly? What value coupling capacitor are you using?

When you say "TDA1543 Direct Output", what are you ACTUALLY refering to?

There are some specific requirements on the source which are set out in the TX-102 datasheets, are you sure you have fulfilled them?

Sayonara

Peter Daniel said:
I made special mounts (out of hole saw and some rubber), mounted the transformers in a drill press and did some polishing with Scotch Brite pads, just lightly on a surface to get nice, uniform finish.

I've wondered about that blue rubber that you use. What exactly is it? And, if you don't mind me asking, do you use it because you feel it changes the equipment for the better, or is it just something that you like working with (or just have lots on hand)?

Thanks for the idea about Scotch Brite pads:), will try while I'm waiting for my next shipment of parts (I can't believe how many times I think I have everything, and find out that I don't).

I don't know exactly what it is, some call it blown rubber. Its rubber like substance but feels like foam. They use it for shoe liners and for slipping pads (at least it seems to be similar). It is not neoprene, as it's harder to thouch.

I use it to provide semi rigid mount of the transformers inside platform's opening. I just can't think of anything better for that purpose.

The outer cap on transformer stops against the notch in chassis opening, providing for a perfect height alignment. There is a small gap around transformers when looking from top, so the rubber is not visible anymore, nor any special trimming required.

The cans are special ordered, with polishing treatment.

Attachments

• p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 705
Kuei Yang Wang said:
Konnichiwa,

Possibly? What value coupling capacitor are you using?

When you say "TDA1543 Direct Output", what are you ACTUALLY refering to?

There are some specific requirements on the source which are set out in the TX-102 datasheets, are you sure you have fulfilled them?

Sayonara

I'm using Fedde dac schematic.
By the way I discover some interaction betwen the phono cable and the tx102 in particular the phono ground. Moving the phono cable, even if the source selected is cd, is some position I have Larsen effect, and if I completly remove phono connectors and mains the sound clearly is better.
Gio