How to build a 21st century protection board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been trying to evolve the design to make it easier for people to take a newly built amplifier and put it into safe service without a lot of extra effort. It's working out nicely so far. As is now it can control multiple power supplies (pending successful testing of the I2C relay board). Speaker protection is monitored over a ribbon cable and many can be daisy chained together. At present only two channels of overcurrent and thermal protection are supported, but that will cover 99% of builds. The protection board itself and the main relay boards are designed on the same footprint as Ostripper's modular supply so they are neatly stack-able. Having a control transformer on board would be really slick, but this will limit the mounting locations and parts availability.

During a conversation in PM with EvanC this morning another cool idea came to mind. A delayed 12V trigger output might be handy. He has half a dozen monsters he needs to fire up to get his system running. It would be slick to use the 12V trigger signal into the control board, then have it send out another 12V signal to start the next amp a second later. That way all amps could be started from one trigger event or power button, without browning out the neighbourhood.

Yes, delayed trigger output signal is a good idea for comprehensive installations, like Evan's ;)

Rail fuses are still in place for normal slow overload protection.

The beauty of this being a complete integrated protection system is there are all the other protections to fall back on. If you were to have 1.9V at the detection input for a sustained period, there's a good chance you will also have DC at the speaker connection which would shut the amp down. If not there is also thermal monitoring in place that will shut things down.

Exactly - overcurrent protection shuts down the amp on fast high current rises, thermal protection handles the lower but longer overloads, and in many cases these troubles are accompanied with DC offset - so, in these cases, based on experience, DC protection trips earlier than the other ones ;)
that sounds good.

How is SOAR protection achieved?

I feel real-time SOAR protection needs to be designed into the amplifier.

This type of 'add on' has no reference as to what a given amplifier design has available for safe operating area, therefore it would either have to make broad conservative 'assumptions' or be explicitly programmed based on an individual builds capabilities.

The design is pretty comprehensive already and will catch most negligent / ham-fisted / whoops / 'hold my beer while I try this' type scenarios. The rest requires some understanding of an individual builds' capabilities and possible restraint on the user's part.

I think it's easier to add a couple extra output devices than worry too much about running to the edge of SOAR. We tend to over-do everything else in the DIY world, why not output devices?

Yes, I like the approach to OPS design, so that if you accidentally shorten the output with a small screwdriver - screwdriver melts and thus the problem disappears :D In case of a big screwdriver - protection shuts down the amp :cool:

I'm rebuilding my amp with the protection boards, it's going to be tight.
I didn't want to hide the trannies but I can't see any better solutions that leaves enough space in the back to replace the IPS and adjust bias.

Attachments

• DSC_0998.JPG
    DSC_0998.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 372
  • DSC_1001 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_1001 - Copy.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 367
I'm rebuilding my amp with the protection boards, it's going to be tight.
I didn't want to hide the trannies but I can't see any better solutions that leaves enough space in the back to replace the IPS and adjust bias.

Hi yngvejos,

In fact, using two control boards makes sense if you have separate compartments for the amps. In your case of dual mono, you can easily use one board for both channels - it will monitor them independently, so that they will not influence each other through the control board.

Cheers,
Valery

I feel real-time SOAR protection needs to be designed into the amplifier.

This type of 'add on' has no reference as to what a given amplifier design has available for safe operating area, therefore it would either have to make broad conservative 'assumptions' or be explicitly programmed based on an individual builds capabilities.

The design is pretty comprehensive already and will catch most negligent / ham-fisted / whoops / 'hold my beer while I try this' type scenarios. The rest requires some understanding of an individual builds' capabilities and possible restraint on the user's part.

The SOAR diagram is part of every manufacturer's data sheet for power BJTs.
However, these data are for a constant junction temperature and one has to derate according to actual junction temp.
Agreed for DIY purposes this is a minor issue but when it is about reliability
it becomes a major issue. After all no life performance can afford broken amps.

I have seen a commercial amp which has a DAC/µP based board and controls a sort of soft clipper, it takes the case temperatures also.

Won't one board mean Connecting the psu grounds together? Now they are floating indepentently.
Anyway, I like the idea to control the startup of the two transformers indepentently so that I can put a delay on one of them to reduce the load on the mains circuit breaker. Also it's nice with one error indicator per channel. ;)

Hi yngvejos,

In fact, using two control boards makes sense if you have separate compartments for the amps. In your case of dual mono, you can easily use one board for both channels - it will monitor them independently, so that they will not influence each other through the control board.

Cheers,
Valery

Using one control board will connect the grounds of both amplifiers together. Won't that leave them more susceptible to ground loops?

I start two transformers with two soft starts. That allows each transformer to be fed with a close rated mains fuse.

eg two 300VA 230Vac transformers with 80r of current limiting resistance for each transformer. The two fuses would be T1.25A
There is absolutely no problem starting both transformer from the same soft start and using a 2pole relay to short out the two limiting resistors after the 150ms delay.
There is no massive draw on the mains supply.

USA and Canada Builders will need T2.5A fuses and 40r resistors for their 115Vac soft starts.
Again the peak start up draw of the two transformers is not high. The current limiting resistors ensure that.

Last edited:
I start two transformers with two soft starts. That allows each transformer to be fed with a close rated mains fuse.

eg two 300VA 230Vac transformers with 80r of current limiting resistance for each transformer. The two fuses would be T1.25A
There is absolutely no problem starting both transformer from the same soft start and using a 2pole relay to short out the two limiting resistors after the 150ms delay.

Good approach. But no problem to start the transformers one by one for the control board like ours.

USA and Canada Builders will need T2.5A fuses and 40r resistors for their 115Vac soft starts.
Again the peak start up draw of the two transformers is not high. The current limiting resistors ensure that.

The latest design actually has provisions to control two sets of relays independently. Each transformer can then be independently fused at a lower fuse rating.

I'm trying to get the multicolored led to work. When I put the led in the arduino uno board cathode to gnd, and the anodes to D4 and D12 it works fine.
When I put it in the amp control board with Cathode to led-, anode to led + and the other anode to D12, the part of the led connected to D4 is lit at all times (even if I take the original script and change "const int PowerLED = 4; // LED Bright LOW" to "const int PowerLED = 12; // LED Bright LOW)". And I get no output on D12.
How can I get output on D12?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.