Hornresp

Horn response is still trapped in a very very difficult to ‘envision’ what is occurring I’m sorry I to say. The ‘system model’ and/or schematics simply ate not helpful past very simple ideas for people.. rose illy as separates... it all needs to somehow be integrated into something that actively shows a different view or orientation... I’m. So sorry to be ’negative, and It ha always has been very good to Me, but it simply isn’t catching on to the ‘new’ comers and new wave of DIY people... it is only a visual handicap of sorts, but it is a brick wall to so many people it seems...

Last edited:
"Another one for AkAbak, it would seem"

hahaha

Lol... no. Akabak is just extra details (not needed) and very little or even NO changes in response reality.. horn response is more than adequate for more than excellent ! :D fact

IN fact hornresponse is better in MANY respects. It’s all we need!!:)

You’d be surprised how far I’ve pushed this much harder and complex and matched up electrical
Impedance and response was nearly absolutely perfect!

Last edited:
Re-entrant ultimate argument and proof of concept (posted in akabak thread too but to ask for help):
Yamaha did it for back chamber resonnance :
058433479F8A4A618BC6185FE1751231_12074_400x291_f7acd4df66ab1fc2f83b8c83456d648f.jpg

"Mounted on the back of the tweeter and midrange speaker units are newly developed R.S. Chambers (patent pending) that suppress unnecessary tube resonance generated behind the diaphragm. Two specially shaped tubes installed in accordance with our proprietary acoustic analysis cancel tube resonance. These R.S. Chambers achieve higher-resolution audio reproduction by eliminating the need for a large quantity of sound-absorbing material inside the enclosure that tends to smooth the frequency response of each speaker unit and might degrade minute nuances of the sound."
Looking at geometry, there must be 2 resonnances to kill for the midrange, nice !
And in video :
NS-5000 R.S. Chamber - YouTube

Last edited:
Re-entrant ultimate argument and proof of concept (posted in akabak thread too but to ask for help):

"Mounted on the back of the tweeter and midrange speaker units are newly developed R.S. Chambers (patent pending) that suppress unnecessary tube resonance generated behind the diaphragm. Two specially shaped tubes installed in accordance with our proprietary acoustic analysis cancel tube resonance. These R.S. Chambers achieve higher-resolution audio reproduction by eliminating the need for a large quantity of sound-absorbing material inside the enclosure that tends to smooth the frequency response of each speaker unit and might degrade minute nuances of the sound."
Looking at geometry, there must be 2 resonnances to kill for the midrange, nice !
And in video :

Wonderful link sir, thanks!! Some of the greatest info comes from
This spectacular forum members. I love it.

Almost looks like a Venturi in between the tapped sensors for an airspeed gage on an old airplane maybe? I (brother has) a ‘59 Cessna, but updated instruments. I’ll
Look through the old parts bins?? Might get lucky

Im surprised how similar your closed back double BP is. I’m
Just stretched out but similar?? Likely navigate either familiar ‘feeling’

Last edited:
Horn response is still trapped in a very very difficult to ‘envision’ what is occurring I’m sorry(reluctant) to say. The ‘system model’ and/or schematics simply are not helpful past very simple design ideas for most people.. all as separates a d screens ... it all needs to somehow be integrated into something that actively shows a different view or orientation... I’m So sorry to be ’negative, and It has always has been very good to Me, (I am a devoted and frequent user however, so I don’t count, but it simply isn’t catching on to the ‘new’ comers and new wave of DIY people... it is only a visual handicap of sorts, but it is a brick wall to so many people it seems(the are intimidated by it being almost impossible to ‘envision mentally what they are constructing after a single chamber/ vent or similar (untapped)...

I know ‘akabak’ is an option, and a fair statement, but I don’t change favorite baseball teams because the NY Yankees win one season and the San Francisco giants the next:) I wish I was more help than ‘complaints’. I will strive to come up with helpful ideas not just thoughts or opinions, but I simply haven’t a clue how to support or side this software and it’s inner maths:). nevertheless, David, much love to OZ always. Your a wonderful human, many thanks always

The 200 cm2 at 234cm is established. The fun is cutting this in half and building two unique to compare (science) classroom for vocational college and a few other things more ‘personal projects of interest. the ‘roar’ and ‘paraflex’ higher order qw pipe/compound versions to compare resonate chambers, decay, etc of the quick and energetic type of bass deliveries they generate. I’m not very particular, I seem to like a lot of people’s ideas... all surround your ‘tapped horn’ sim In one way or another :D. Too much fun David! You create too much fun.. I *think’* writing your own software might be similar? Even better potentially!! Maybe someday.. I’m far behind the computer tech of today already though. And I like saw dust and metallic sparks too much

Attachments

• DDC3D985-D71C-436A-8FCA-7C9990057B67.jpg
    DDC3D985-D71C-436A-8FCA-7C9990057B67.jpg
    798.5 KB · Views: 97
Give ‘AP1’/AP2’ in TH1/TH? A ‘con/par/exp option instead of L12par/con/exp? BP1 fanatic already went here.... I apologize if I’m not helping or adding any type of possible aid to the cause/purpose.

Maybe all stubs can be cylinder segment shapes in TH/TH1? they are parabolic otherwise if in a wooden box I suppose and only serve as a upstream addition to the main qw pipe/horns ‘path function? In PA speakers the motor side is often offset in an octogan or eight sided pyramid/prism? which is nearly a cylinder.

(Only Thinking out loud, as usual, the grains of salt/sand but not without a motive or pondering yet another handful of ways to spread horn response’ diverse oasis into the arid desert of creative diy speaker building and experiments turbidity to stalling :). Have we have almost made all the boxes and funny shaped tunnels possible?? DsP is the only thing left and it’s here to save the ‘MDF’ (haha)tree from extinction, lol

‘Path’ in OD ‘closed mouth’ is stuck at the L23/34 distance as if it’s unfolded? I’m such a whiner! :D

Cool pics from MMJ

But !! I realized my mother in law lives in OZ half the year... she’s a damn good cook... what was your favorite desert again Mr McBean? Haaaaa!:)

Attachments

• F6212BDF-C6F6-455D-A069-FAE55DE9A019.png
    F6212BDF-C6F6-455D-A069-FAE55DE9A019.png
    204.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 81BD7A7F-B81C-4DDE-BCCC-3FD2F0CCD285.png
    81BD7A7F-B81C-4DDE-BCCC-3FD2F0CCD285.png
    203.3 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
‘Path’ in OD ‘closed mouth’ is stuck at the L23/34 distance as if it’s unfolded?

Automatic calculation of acoustic path length for an offset port or offset passive radiator system was added in Version 50.90. I had assumed that the enclosure would always be unfolded, and figured that inclusion of the feature would make things a little easier for users. The automatic calculation feature could easily be removed though, if proving to be a problem.

Automatic calculation of acoustic path length for an offset port or offset passive radiator system was added in Version 50.90. I had assumed that the enclosure would always be unfolded, and figured that inclusion of the feature would make things a little easier for users. The automatic calculation feature could easily be removed though, if proving to be a problem.

Yutta Hey | Parts Express Project Gallery

^^^Here’s a good little build and fun read/project. why ‘automatic might limit the shorter designs or the method by which they are created using a ‘path’. One usually must akniwkege if ‘full Range or similar? if given a choice. Or if trying to place a chamber or driver in the area where a nul(3/4or 5/4 H with Fb) that ‘path’ fades away in the diluted listening position or method of applying it to the radiator and vent.(?). David, this one is a good read for you sir. Some well deserved appreciation is Expressed by Kirk for you in the project section and horn resp in his speaker build report:D. They speaker is actually quite unique. We simmed it together as we share ideas often. Or he’s my last chance sim ‘checker’ prior to making wooden mistakes (or lack of)and it reverses for me to him often as well...

We took this idea further now and Into subwoofers with tapped entries... with ideas from ROAR and others famous peoples work. . but this speaker was a match or a spark for Kirk I think... he noticed ‘offset’ working in a new way or location and trying to avoid a long ‘path’ was needed as the mass loaded small exit window used created a short bookshelf speaker out of the otherwise offset and expanding taper toward exit(voight or similar style) was really neat to apply(but needed to manipulate ‘path’, to accommodate a bookshelf speaker instead of a long skinny there or something...

Long story short... adjusting ‘path ‘ is something very popular it seems lately. Lots of ways to fix or kill a resonance in that sim and for some reason its
Very ‘easy’ or cones to the designer quickly in the OD closed mouth (Ap/Lp version. It’s very Special, if I may. Hands down the best TLs I’ve ever made come out of that sim (and it’s only a few months old if I recall) ? A lot of the bookshelf designs will value this sim above all other I think. You made a gem here sir! It creates opportunities!

I encourage anyone to read the link to Kirk’s build and look at David’s OD closed mouth sim, as an option always. Always check it if making a TL for any reason. You might find that offset exit and driver location is a real treat !!:). Especially full range or midbass speaker needs?? Give it a looksee when you get a chance. It’ll create a buttery smooth response more often than not if you use both offsets to an advantage and stuffing..

Last edited:
Flowmaster and Hooker Aero Chamber mufflers use similar principles to BP8 enclosures to quiet exhaust noise without using fiberglass packing and perforated tubes like Dynomax, Magnaflow, Cherrybomb, or most motorcycle exhausts.

I can’t wait to get this book then... i have made some JUNK motorcycle mufflers, lol. Re: LOUD Vtwin, albeit, not a Harley Davidson or Buell. I’ll have to screen shot anything good I find for your bp4/6/8 endeavors. I’ve read the Nasa(NACA ) version and it was pretty good food and I passed it on from Greg to others (just hard to read old xerox DoD documents was the thing I ran into (farly near sighted but dyslexis and cross eyed while also being a cyclops and on a iPhone SE instead of the computer mostly). I hate it when I gotta ask my son to read the socket sizes for me!. Edie specially if I think it might be the dreaded Toyota 10mm ghost!! Haaaaa ha!! why? always 10mm.... and then clanking in the dryer cause 3 of them are in my pants pocket or something...

2jz??? For awhile I had a 1uz in a hylux with two transfer case gear reduction sections after the Lexus SC400 auto tranny���� wounda loved an inline 6 with a snail on it though!! Suprataco.

Last edited:
MMJ enclosures are amazing!

Yeah! Banging heads with that dude is never boring! If I think I came up with a really killer enclosure (paraflex or Tflex, roar type) and if we are all brainstorming together, a few people at once, or a couple, guess who always wins if even by a slight? And uniquely every time ... MMJ, Jedi and PHD in speaker kungfu. paraflex might not be ‘best’. But it definitely in the top 3 for mysteriously interesting and very busy inside in many functions. it’s a big onion. Slowly the layers are getting peeled back and a public FB group gets to watch as it evolves and changes. front loaded horn with a mini wide mouth rear vented .and tapped into soften the spikes and boost the upper and middle... crazy cool. But still, mysterious ...

So many speaker designs to explore and so little time... what’s next for you ? Any unofficial build ideas or secret future plans awaiting the opportunity?

Last edited:
Long story short... adjusting ‘path ‘ is something very popular it seems lately.

I gather this means that you would like the acoustic path length automatic calculation feature to be removed, and for the user to manually specify the required length?

The only problem I see with this, and the reason why I decided to automate the feature in the first place, is that users often leave the path at the default 0 cm length, generating misleading results.

You make a good point. one that not too long ago was a popular/frequent mistake too. people noticed quick along with Vent CSA sizing issues(too small ). Guilty myself nearly.

Maybe the PATH ‘default’ is not ‘0.0cm’ as previous or sometimes was? whatever is least error prone might be more important than the convenience of where it’s able to be adjusted by the tinkering types like (me). Back in ‘combined’ in acoustical power tools was hiding from some people. Might be good there and defaults as you placed it (main qw path equivalent length )?:) Its all quite good where ever it ends up. you’ve built a giant and it’s quite a beast. sure can make some strange and complex speaker boxes! Mine even work now if I pay close enough attention when putting them together, hehee...

If you can make ‘path’ adjustable it’s appreciated no matter where you locate it sir. Very much

And in video :
Hi,
Didn't i catch at least a bit of your interest David ? :santa2:

Damien :D