Hornresp

The Book

Ordered the book (Lean) and received it yesterday (Belgium). Perfectly packaged, can resist a 10 g crash and an 100 meters dive in the water.
Well, that's not a book, that's a masterpiece! It almost outweighs a 811B horn! And so well finished. Didn't almost dare touching it. :blush:

I've been reading tons of audio books, but the "introductory" plm. 300 page history (quick browsing about half of the book yesterday evening) is unprecedented!
Everything is so detailed. Bjorn, this must have been a fifteen year full time job, wasn't it?
I take off my hat.

Andre

Hornresp Update 5050-191115

Hi Everyone,

CHANGE 1

The Maximum SPL tool On / Off settings for a given record can now be permanently saved to the Hornresp.dat data file. Previously only the limit values could be saved.

CHANGE 2

Previously, when either the Maximum SPL or Power Compression tool was used followed by the Filter Wizard tool, if the Filter Wizard On button was clicked to return to the main screen the filter settings were applied to the default response rather than to the maximum SPL or power compression response.

To avoid any confusion the Filter Wizard On button is now disabled in such situations, and clicking the Off button returns to the unfiltered maximum SPL or power compression response.

CHANGE 3

Previously, when either the Maximum SPL or Power Compression tool was used followed by the Filter Wizard tool, if the Passive or Le Cléac'h filter option was selected the filter settings were applied to the default response rather than to the maximum SPL or power compression response.

To avoid any confusion the Passive and Le Cléac'h filter options can no longer be selected in such situations.

BUG FIX 1

For some input settings, the Maximum SPL tool results were incorrect. To illustrate, for the default record (with resonances masked) the input shown in Attachment 1 would produce the results shown in Attachments 2 and 3. The green power-limited sections of the traces are not correct. For the given input setting the outputs should be displacement-limited over the whole frequency range, as shown in Attachments 4 and 5.

This bug has now been fixed.

BUG FIX 2

Sometimes there would be an "overshoot" on the Maximum SPL chart traces, as shown for the diaphragm displacement chart red trace in Attachment 6. This bug has now been fixed, as shown in Attachment 7.

BUG FIX 3

The Le Cléac'h filter results shown in the Filter Wizard were correct but the ones shown on the main chart screens were not. This bug has now been fixed.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 179
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 181
  • Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 179
  • Attach_4.png
    Attach_4.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 182
  • Attach_5.png
    Attach_5.png
    60.4 KB · Views: 178
  • Attach_6.png
    Attach_6.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Attach_7.png
    Attach_7.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 44
Thanks for all the nice comments on the book :)

(please never print a paperback one..)

We thought the content deserved a proper hardback, similar to the old textbooks (Olson, Beranek, Radiotron Designers Handbook, Terman...). That thought also inspired the design of the spine of the book itself.

Also, I don't think a paperback version of this book would last very long. All paperbacks this size I have seen, if they have been used for a while, have broken spines and/or are falling apart.

And please never make it available as an e-book :).

See the third paragraph on the copyright page :) I don't think this book will work well as an e-book.

Everything is so detailed. Bjorn, this must have been a fifteen year full time job, wasn't it?

More of a lifestyle, I would say. The research I did during my MSc and PhD was part of this project too, so during that time (and much of this year too) it was definitely a full time job.

See the third paragraph on the copyright page :)

I had already checked the page as part of my ongoing proof-reading activities :). It says: "no electronic version has been published". If it had said: "no electronic version will EVER be published" I would have known for sure that there would never be an e-book 'horn book' :). Incidentally, I did manage to find one typo on the page - "indluding" should be "including". It is on my list... :).

I don't think this book will work well as an e-book.

I'm sure that it wouldn't :).

How About a Sensitivity Analysis Tool?

Hi pelanj,

If you would like to experiment along these lines, the Resize Wizard in Hornresp could be used to re-scale the driver parameter values. Another approach could be to use the Multiple Driver Equivalent option in the Loudspeaker Configuration tool. Not sure how valid either of these approaches would be, however :).

Kind regards,

David

.. that explores system sensitivity to driver parameter tolerances (variation).
Bill