Hornresp

To those people who have provided bass reflex optimisation formulas:

Thank you. The information has helped me to much better understand the issues involved.

To Marcelo:

I have now tested a number of the bass reflex optimisation methods. What became obvious very quickly was that all of the processes have their limitations, and depending upon the driver used, could often produce quite misleading sub-optimal results. I have arrived at the same conclusion as Brian, and feel that virtually nothing would be gained by adding any of calculation methods to Hornresp.

To "optimise" a bass-reflex system in Hornresp:

1. Select the resonances masked option so that the value of Lrc has no effect on the results.
2. Adjust the Vrc, Ap and Lpt slider controls in the loudspeaker wizard to obtain the "best" response for a given driver. It should take less than a minute.

To "optimise" a closed-box system in Hornresp:

1. Select the resonances masked option so that the value of Lrc has no effect on the results.
2. Adjust the Vrc slider control in the loudspeaker wizard to obtain the "best" response for a given driver. It should take just a few seconds.

Kind regards,

David

Vented Offset Driver Enclosure using HR's default parameters.

Attachments

• BIB TWQT 1.jpg
    BIB TWQT 1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 227
  • BIB TWQT 2.jpg
    BIB TWQT 2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 231
  • BIB TWQT 3.jpg
    BIB TWQT 3.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 221
Do you mind to share just one example of the suboptimal results for better understendment from my side :)

Hi Marcelo,

Entering the Hornresp default driver parameter values into the Adrian Mack spreadsheet gives the following "optimum" outputs, as shown in Attachment 1.

Vr = 1.7 litres
Drm = 7.5 cm
Lr = 24.0 cm

The Hornresp inputs become:

Vrc =1.70 litres
Ap = 44.18 sq cm
Lpt = 24.00 cm

Resulting in the response shown in Attachment 2.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    142.8 KB · Views: 207
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    55.2 KB · Views: 91
All these years later and it is still no closer to being usable then it was back then. Can the program be made to accept standard TS parameters so you can at least add your own driver?

All these years later, and you still haven't read the help file? :)

If reading documentation isn't your style, what about this Hornresp tutorial that has been around since early 2011 (yes, that's nearly 8 years), and describes how to enter TS parameters in the second post (OK, you have to scroll to see it...).

I leave it to others here to explain how "close to being usable" the program actually is...

Thank you BP1Fanatic and David. I tried a sim but not sure if makes sense. I used a 0.41 * path length offset and set the horn area at that point = Sd. Then did the rest my eyeballing the schematic shape.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Your model makes perfect sense! The problem is the BIB TQWT does not provide any dimensions to work with.

All these years later, and you still haven't read the help file? :)

If reading documentation isn't your style, what about this Hornresp tutorial that has been around since early 2011 (yes, that's nearly 8 years), and describes how to enter TS parameters in the second post (OK, you have to scroll to see it...).

I leave it to others here to explain how "close to being usable" the program actually is...

Bjorn I think it's closer to 18 years. Cuz I downloaded Hornresp in 1999 or 2000 if my memory serves me correctly.