Hornresp

I have a question about the filter wizard:

In the real world, when I use a first order high pass on a loudspeaker, there's a gentle 6dB per octave high pass.

In Hornresp, there's a big peak at the driver's impedance. A peak that I don't see in the real world.

I understand, that "technically" the filter should do virtually nothing at the driver's resonance, because the impedance at the driver's resonance is so high.

Here's a pic to illustrate this:

vVo9sVm.jpg

Hornresp Update 4030-170102

Hi Everyone,

CHANGE

No matter how much checking and testing I do beforehand, it seems that just after releasing a new update I can always find something that I missed!

In this case, the new source output power slider had been inadvertently calibrated for pressure not power. This error has now been corrected, with the slider range being changed accordingly from +/- 6 dB to +/- 12 dB.

NOTE

Source power values saved in files using the first release will have different values when those files are opened using the new release.

Files with values set using the first release will 6 dB lower when opened using the new release. For example, a source with a value of +5 dB saved to a file using the first release will have a value of -1 dB when that file is opened using the new release.

It may be necessary to re-specify existing sources to restore the originally intended power levels.

(Note also that source power values saved in files using the new release will have different values if those files are for some reason subsequently opened using the old release).

Kind regards,

David

Hi David,

Post # 6927: "...Hopefully the latest release will work just as well..."

Looks like it. :)

Just a thought to Marten's idea from Post #6928: "...2) Entry area of a section should not be limited to exit area of previous section."

Could that be implemented w/ hidden sections of a known fixed length, e.g.: .01cm? That way the input screen would not be affected, and it would still add additional sections to simulate mass-loaded transmission lines, or ports starting from a chamber?

Regards,

No matter how much checking and testing I do beforehand, it seems that just after releasing a new update I can always find something that I missed!

Part of human nature Master McBean. You end up missing the trees because of the forest, or vice versa after a long time of looking for mistakes.

You are very thorough. And I appreciate all the work you put it, and especially how quickly the corrections are available.

Happy new year David!

My new years wishes are:
1) HornResp gets 2 more sections
2) Entry area of a section should not be limited to exit area of previous section

Mårten

Hi Mårten,

And a Happy New Year to you also!

Sorry, your two New Year's wishes are just to difficult to implement :).

As advised on previous occasions, the way that Hornresp has evolved, a complete rewrite of the code and changes to most of the input forms would effectively be required to satisfy your request. All sorts of operational and formatting issues would arise as a result of increasing the number of segments. As just one example, think of the changes that would be required to the Loudspeaker Wizard to accommodate a six-segment tapped horn with a discontinuity at the interface of two of the segments. For starters, the Auto / Manual functionality associated with segment cross-sectional areas, and the Variable / Fixed / Linked functionality associated with segment lengths, would all have to be redone (and would be extremely difficult to implement in a user-friendly manner).

It has taken many years to get Hornresp to its current "relatively reliable and stable" state. Having to start all over again, essentially from the very beginning, is not something that I am in a position to seriously contemplate - I am not getting any younger, you know... :).

While I agree that it would be very nice for Hornresp to have the additional features you suggest, unfortunately it is simply a practical impossibility.

In other words, it's not going to happen :).

Kind regards,

David