Hornresp

I'll add my two cents.

I have to thank my Dad for teaching me to be a carpenter and understand building. Because a good part of the last few years have been a combined Mark the Carpenter or Cabinet Maker and Audio related work.

It all ends up paying most of the bills most of the time.

But it gets rather interesting.

No loans, no credit cards, no mortgages. The joys of being self employed in a lower income bracket in Canada.

As a self employed guy for a great many years I have not had a paid vacation in my working life of almost 30 years.

You keep working hard and hope to get by.

My kids are out and about working for a living happily.

One is trying to get on as a mechanic, oil and tire guy right now.

The other is a roofer.

And their pay is pretty decent.

Life goes on. Speed bumps happen and we keep on going.

@BP1

Keep your chin up!

More and more horns are getting produced. Finally!

Yeah, about @#$%^ time!

When I got on line back in '96 I actually got banned from a couple of audio BBs just for wanting to get updated/'bench raced' what had changed over the previous ~ two decades since I'd been active.

Fortunately, one kind soul PM'd me the Sound Practices [aka Joelist] and Bass List, otherwise I might have ignored what was to come beyond the prosound boards, though wish I could have been active in actually building/proofing my thoughts WRT improvements, new concepts instead of just being a 'talking head' for others.

GM

I'll add my two cents.

I have to thank my Dad for teaching me to be a carpenter and understand building. Because a good part of the last few years have been a combined Mark the Carpenter or Cabinet Maker and Audio related work.

It all ends up paying most of the bills most of the time.

But it gets rather interesting.

No loans, no credit cards, no mortgages. The joys of being self employed in a lower income bracket in Canada.

As a self employed guy for a great many years I have not had a paid vacation in my working life of almost 30 years.

You keep working hard and hope to get by.

My kids are out and about working for a living happily.

One is trying to get on as a mechanic, oil and tire guy right now.

The other is a roofer.

And their pay is pretty decent.

Life goes on. Speed bumps happen and we keep on going.

@BP1

Keep your chin up!

I repair cars on the side too! Life does go on! Thanks guy!

No big deal since I can half the space and drivers. But the optimizer chooses 23 instead of 21 for low cutoff.

Hi Mårten,

For the given Ang and driver input parameter values, and without the 99999.99 sq cm S2 limitation, the 'System Design With Driver' tool would specify the following hyperbolic-exponential horn:

S1 = 5879.15
S2 = 213534.69
L12 = 515.56
T = 0.66

fc = 21.01 Hz

I doubt that many people would be interested in building a horn with a length of 5.16m and a mouth size of 4.62m x 4.62m :).

Note that for the Le Cléac'h horn only, because the mouth flare tangent angle can be up to 180 degrees, the S2 upper limit is 999999.9 sq cm.

EDIT -

I forgot to mention that the frequency range shown by the tool is just a suggestion. There is nothing to prevent you from specifying 21Hz rather than 23Hz for the low frequency rolloff.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I hit the S2 limitation :)

I would like to see the S2 limitation go away (or at least go up). I sim horn stacks regularly and 22 hz in 2 pi is as low as you can go. I know there are ways both inside Hornresp and by using Leach's math without using Hornresp to get around this limitation, but it would be nice if there were no limits to S2.

One other thing I would really like to see is the ability to export .frd and .zma files now that Hornresp is using .frd files. Exporting would be endlessly useful by allowing Hornresp sims to be viewed and manipulated in other software (like crossover design programs) without having to do the lengthy process of creating them from a picture of a response graph. As I mentioned when this was first discussed, IMO exporting .frd and .zma is a lot more useful than importing.

Hi just a guy,

I would like to see the S2 limitation go away (or at least go up).

As indicated in Post #4992, the S2 limit for a hyperbolic-exponential horn (exponential when T = 1, conical when T = 99999.99) will be increased to 999999.9 sq cm in the next release.

A 10m x 10m horn mouth should be large enough, surely?

I sim horn stacks regularly and 22 hz in 2 pi is as low as you can go.

Why not just use the Multiple Speakers tool?

One other thing I would really like to see is the ability to export .frd and .zma files now that Hornresp is using .frd files.

As far as I can determine, the format of a .frd file is the same as that of a .txt file. Have you tried using use the existing 'SPL + Phase' and 'Ze + Phase' exported text files, but with the extension renamed from .txt to .frd?

I am not familiar with the format of a .zma file.

Kind regards,

David

Hi just a guy,

As indicated in Post #4992, the S2 limit for a hyperbolic-exponential horn (exponential when T = 1, conical when T = 99999.99) will be increased to 999999.9 sq cm in the next release.

A 10m x 10m horn mouth should be large enough, surely?

Yes, that should keep me busy for awhile. That will be very handy, thanks very much.

Why not just use the Multiple Speakers tool?

I'm not sure how that would help. If I'm using your wizard (Leach's math) and I want to see the response of a 20 hz horn in 2 pi space and I bump up against the S2 limit, how is the multiple speakers tool going to fix that? I'd have to use Leach's math outside of Hornresp to design the horn and chop it up into individual cabs, bring the results of the individual cabs into Hornresp and then use the multiple speakers tool. I was hoping to avoid that by just increasing (or getting rid of) the S2 limit.

As far as I can determine, the format of a .frd file is the same as that of a .txt file. Have you tried using use the existing 'SPL + Phase' and 'Ze + Phase' exported text files, but with the extension renamed from .txt to .frd?

I am not familiar with the format of a .zma file.

Kind regards,

David

I didn't even know that was there, sounds like this is exactly what I'm looking for. (And it's right there beside Export All Chart Data which I didn't know about last week.) I'll check it out after work.

Hi Mårten,

No. The simulation model used in Hornresp is applicable to axisymmetric horns only.

Kind regards,

David

Maybe planar wave propagation outside the horn then? If distance between ceiling and floor is shorter than some fraction of a wavelength I belive we will have planar wave propagation. Likewise when the source is an array stretching from floor to ceiling.

Hi just a guy,

I'm not sure how that would help. If I'm using your wizard (Leach's math) and I want to see the response of a 20 hz horn in 2 pi space and I bump up against the S2 limit, how is the multiple speakers tool going to fix that?

When you said: "I sim horn stacks regularly", I thought that you were referring to simulating multiple cabinets, which is why I suggested using the Multiple Speakers tool. It seems that I may have misunderstood your comment :).

I'll check it out after work.

Does the Hornresp 'SPL + Phase' exported text file work with your design software when the header line is removed and the file extension is changed to .frd?

Does the Hornresp 'Ze + Phase' exported text file work with your design software when the header line is removed and the file extension is changed to .zma?

If the modified files work do okay, I can then add .frd as an option for the 'SPL + Phase' file, and .zma as an option for the 'Ze + Phase' file, resulting in the following:

'SPL + Phase' file:

.txt option - Header included
.frd option - Header excluded

'Ze + Phase' file:

.txt option - Header included
.zma option - Header excluded

Where:

.frd - Frequency Response Data file
.zma - Impedance file

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Maybe planar wave propagation outside the horn then? If distance between ceiling and floor is shorter than some fraction of a wavelength I belive we will have planar wave propagation. Likewise when the source is an array stretching from floor to ceiling.

Hi Mårten,

The Hornresp Le Cléac'h horn axisymmetric simulation model assumes that the mouth acoustical impedance is the same as that of a pulsating spherical cap. The model is not applicable to the design you show.

Kind regards,

David

Hi just a guy,

When you said: "I sim horn stacks regularly", I thought that you were referring to simulating multiple cabinets, which is why I suggested using the Multiple Speakers tool. It seems that I may have misunderstood your comment :).

I sim as a single horn with several drivers with the understanding (understood to me at least) that the intention is to chop that one horn up into several modular units. I should have made that more clear, sorry.

I didn't get to check the utility of the .frd and .zma files last night, hopefully I can get into that after work today.