Hirez SACD and DVD-A digital output for Pioneer DV-575A and DV-578A (dsd to pcm)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Boards arrived!

Good news,
today I received 20 of the final V1.0 PCBs for the pioneer hires mod.

Bad news,
I did not make it this week to finalize my website with the documentation needed for integrating the mod in the Pioeneer player. Next I have to leave tomorrow morning and will return at firday oct. 21.

This means I promise the weekend from oct 21. to 24. I will prepare the website and do final testing with the V1.0 boards. The already ordered kits I will ship oct 25.

Charly

:bawling: Darn, I'm looking forward to the updated website! I sent you a PM ordering boards. I've changed my plans somewhat and decided on 3 boards as a guy I know owes me some money and also happens to be a behringer dealer... you can guess where this is leading! Looks like I may be opening up a DCX / DEQ / SRC 2496 soon (maybe all three) and doing the 192khz mod amongst others!

John

thejohn said:
:bawling: Darn, I'm looking forward to the updated website!
Hi folks,
I worked hard the last two days and finally made it! The new docu is on my homepage.

http://freerider.dyndns.org
(remember 8AM to 10PM)

Today I had build up a V1.0 board and it worked like charm :)) While building I took a lot of fotos for the docu. I hope there are not too much questions left but it is a beginning.

Please check the docu and give me feedback for improvements.
On monday I will ship the already ordered kits.

Charly

Michele Spinolo said:
do you think it would be possible to use the AD1896 to have a fixed output at 24bit 96Khz (i.e. downsampling 192Khz disc, upsampling 16bit-44khz and 16bit-48khz discs)?
Yes it is with some minor modifications.
Pin 2 of the AD1896 has to be disconnected and a 24.576Mhz clock (maybee a clock generator) had to be supplied to pin 2 of AD1896.
Next pin 9 of the MUX-GAL (16v8) has to be diconnected from its socket and connected to ground.
These minor modifications lead to a constant 96kHz output. In this configuration the MUX-GAL is switched to always output the digital signal supplied by AD1896.
This configuration also kills all jitter of the player clock! You only have the jitter of the 24.576Mhz oscillator at the digital output. Using a higly stable generator (tentlabs) you get a fabulous jitter performance!

oehlrich said:

Yes it is with some minor modifications.
Pin 2 of the AD1896 has to be disconnected and a 24.576Mhz clock (maybee a clock generator) had to be supplied to pin 2 of AD1896.
Next pin 9 of the MUX-GAL (16v8) has to be diconnected from its socket and connected to ground.
These minor modifications lead to a constant 96kHz output. In this configuration the MUX-GAL is switched to always output the digital signal supplied by AD1896.
This configuration also kills all jitter of the player clock! You only have the jitter of the 24.576Mhz oscillator at the digital output. Using a higly stable generator (tentlabs) you get a fabulous jitter performance!

exactly!
That's what I would like to do! Do you think it is possible to sell the boards with this mod?
That would mean having a perfectly stable jitter free 24bit 96Khz digital source!
:cool:

Michele Spinolo said:

Do you think it is possible to sell the boards with this mod?
Dear Michele,
I could not sell the board with this mod because I do not sell clock generators. But this is really easy to do. If you like to have a kit prepared for this kind of operation just let me know when ordering the kit. I will disconnect pin 2 at the AD1896 and will document where the tentlabs XO has to be connected. I also could provide a special MUX-GAL where even the pin 9 modification will be obsolete. This is all I could do.
Charly

Pioneer 585A and 588A tested!

Today my 585A arrived.
As I expected the board works well in this player too. The holes, where to connect the ribbon cable had become a bit smaller so it is no more that easy to solder the ribbon cable but it works. Also the whole player got a bit smaller so the board had to be inserted in an differnet way but it will do.
Currently I can say that the Standard Kit is fully operational with the 585 and 588 players but I still seem to have some problems with the AD1896 I had to look for.
During the next days I hope I will make some fotos to demonstrate how to insert the kit in the 585A and the 588A.

JoshK said:
Received my kit over the weekend but didn't have time to play with it yet. Thanks Charly!
Fine, have fun with it!

Finally I managed to install the kit in my DV-585A this is the same as the 588A in the states!
I also updated the documentation so you can see how to install the kit in the 585/588A. Installation is quite tricky because the 585/588 is a bit smaller than the 575/578 but it works.
The problem with the AD1896 could be resolved by changing R3 to 10K. This is the R of the reset unit. The power supply of the 585/588 has a slower ramp at power on so the 3.3K for the reset is too low ;-)
The change of R3 to 10K is also good for DV575/578.

So 585/588 users. Only six boards are available!

Michele Spinolo said:

exactly!
That's what I would like to do! Do you think it is possible to sell the boards with this mod?
That would mean having a perfectly stable jitter free 24bit 96Khz digital source!
:cool:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to do something else; enable the full use of my 192k dac by upsampling at all times with the AD1896 to 176.4 or 192k.
I assume we shall need 2 clock inputs and some form of switching.
Can this be done and how?

I am willing to develop this and post the findi;) ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.