Hirez SACD and DVD-A digital output for Pioneer DV-575A and DV-578A (dsd to pcm)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FLECOM said:
do you have any plans to release a pcb/kit that has all three spdif transmitters for 5.1? cause 3 kits is almost $500!
It is no problem to make a kit with 5.1 output. The problem is to offer an aceptable price. So have to order min. 20 PCBs and I have no idea if I will find so many customers. If not I have to pay the costs for the PCBs :-(
On the other hand 3 kits did not cost 500$ at all. They will cost 234Euro plus maybee 50 Euro for additional parts. If you think you have to use the extended kit for all tree channels you are wrong. DVA-A produces in 5.1 only 96Khz so at least for two boards the standard kit is sufficient in all cases.

Kit for 5.1

I would be intrested in the 5.1 kit for SACD.
Ok, you all finally got me!
From now on I will take orders for the 5.1 Version of the kit. If I receive 10 orders I will make a board for you. Yes, it's only for you because I did not really need it. I will do it in my X-mas holidays ;-))
From the 5.1. board there also will be a standard and extended version. The extened version will have the AD1896 for its front channels. Maybee I also will include an option for a XO2-Module to create a jitter free 96kHz output signal for all media playing. Both downsampling and jitterfree will only be possible for the front speakers.
Price would be a bit over 100 Euro I will calculate the exact price if I am home again at the weekend.

Re: Kit for 5.1

oehlrich said:

Ok, you all finally got me!
From now on I will take orders for the 5.1 Version of the kit. If I receive 10 orders I will make a board for you. Yes, it's only for you because I did not really need it. I will do it in my X-mas holidays ;-))
From the 5.1. board there also will be a standard and extended version. The extened version will have the AD1896 for its front channels. Maybee I also will include an option for a XO2-Module to create a jitter free 96kHz output signal for all media playing. Both downsampling and jitterfree will only be possible for the front speakers.
Price would be a bit over 100 Euro I will calculate the exact price if I am home again at the weekend.

Another 5.1 kit here!
Possibly with fixed 24bit/96Khz output on every channel!:)

Request/recommendation for support of new player

Dear Mr. Oehlrich,

Thank you for your precious contribution to the online audio community. The information on your website is priceless -- well, almost priceless. Let's say it is worth the cost of a full TaCT audio system . . .

If you don't mind, I have a request to make. I would like to strongly encourage you to consider supporting the Yamaha DVD-S1500 universal player. To my knowledge, it is the only player which is capable of SACD and DVD-A which will also CONVERT between PAL and NTSC formats, so regardless of your television or where you live, you can use either PAL or NTSC software in your player. There are a few other inexpensive DVD players which do such conversion, but none of them support SACD . . .

Here is a link to the product at Yamaha's German website:
http://www.yamaha-online.de/product...t2=4&idcat3=4&idprod=1163&archivset=&newsset=
(you can change the language by changing the letter "g" above to "f" or "e")

Excellent review of the Yamaha DVD-S1500 (the review is even better than the player - I wish all reviews were this professional)
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/reviews/pdf_reviews/dvd1500_review.pdf

My current DVD player (no SACD) does such PAL <--> NTSC conversion and I love it. I suppose it does not matter so much if one is using a more sophisticated display system that supports both PAL and NTSC, but if one (like me) is more of an audiophile, then the ability to use any software with my older display is a very precious feature.

If you decide to support this player please let me know and I'll actively support your efforts. Thank you.

Best regards,

Christopher Witmer
Tokyo

P.S. Would it be difficult to support SACD at 176.4MHz rather than only 88.2?

Re: Request/recommendation for support of new player

cdwitmer said:
consider supporting the Yamaha DVD-S1500 universal player.

Would it be difficult to support SACD at 176.4MHz rather than only 88.2?

Support for other player is a bit difficult because I have to have the player here in my lab to do some measuremants. Only if the measurements were successful a device could be supported.

I did not plan to buy such a unit so I have no idea how I could support it.

176.4Khz would be nice. Believe me I would do it if it would be possible. But the Pioneer player send only 88.2Khz signals to the D/A-converters and I have no chance to get the 176.4kHz signal.

proengin said:
Is there a chance your kit will work with Pioneer 757AVI? Apparently, 757 was the same genertation as the 575 except it had the iLink.

If this player sends the SACD signal via PCM to the D/A-converter it would be possible. But as I wrote before I have to have the player to check that. But wait, there will be another chance.

If you have measurement equiptment I need a table filled up with frequencies measured during playback of different media. To create this table you have to own:

- a CD
- a DVD Vido
- a SACD
- a DVD-Audio with a 96kHz audiotrack
- a DVD-Audio with a 192kHz audiotrack (e.g. Eagles-Hotel California)

Then find the D/A-converter in the player, search the internet for its datasheet and localize the pins for LR-clock, Bitclock and Masterclock.

Now playback the five media mentioned above. For each media measure the frequency of the LR-clock, the Bitclock and the Masterclock. Put your measurements in a table and mail them to me together with the name of the D/A-converter.

To give you a hint: for the differnet mediatypes the LR-clock shouls measure as follows:
- cd 44.1kHz
- DVD Video 48kHz
- SACD 88.2kHz
- DVD-Audio with a 96kHz audiotrack 96kHz
- DVD-Audio with a 192kHz audiotrack 192kHz

What I now need are the frequencies for Bitclock and Masterclock.

Receiving the results of your measurements I may give a statement if the player might work with the kit.

DJNUBZ said:
Any update on the 5.1 outputs?

Sorry but I did nothing for the 5.1. kit till now. So let me explain....

During my x-mas holidays I started on a project building a BruteFir engine in a fanless 1.5HE case with RME soundcard and and Tentlab XO2.

I finished the unit yesterday put it in my system and listened the whole night long. Compared with the Behringer DCX2496 i used till yesterday it was a big improovement. I now can use transient correct X-overs and a very good speaker correction and it really was woth the 1000Euro I paid for all that stuff! THE XO2 enhances the space a lot and really freezes instruments to the place they belong to. Was a realy a big step forwand!

So I hope you understand that the 5.1 Kit has not such a high proirity for me in the moment. On the other hand I only got very few requests for that 5.1 kit. But I have to order 20 PCBs minimum which means a certain financial risk for me.

I guess I would not make the 5.1. kit so soon. maybee if I have some spare time and no other ideas..... you know, I's a hobby and it should stay one!

DJNUBZ said:
My player will not send full 24/96 or 24/192 digital of sacd 5.1 or of dvda 5.1. I know some players send full dvda (I think) but not a single player I know will do it with sacd unless you use some sort of proprietary connection.

So you would propose converting the 24/96/192/5.1 SACD to 6 channels of LPCM and then re-encoding that as AC3/DTS just to save 2 cables?

DJNUBZ said:
If you ever do get around to this I just want to make sure that the plan is to send 5.1 over a single digital cable. Not 3 digital cables.

Three signals over one cable is not covered by any current standard. Shure you could transfer digital audio over one cable but then it will be compressed as DTS or Dolby digital loosing all the advantages you have using pure PCM. If you like to have this just use the standard DTS output of your player.
So if I will do the 5.1Kit there would be tree digital output cables.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.