Hirez SACD and DVD-A digital output for Pioneer DV-575A and DV-578A (dsd to pcm)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
oehlrich said:

Intersting!
Did you have more Information about that? Maybee some link or so?

The spec that covers non-pcm audio has an option that allows one to format the payload in a proprietary manner. It should be possible to move 3 24/44k1 pairs with ease and maybe even higher sample rates but it will require dedicated hardware at both ends as well as the AES tx/rx chips.

The others are all intended for other purposes. ADAT will move 8ch at 44/48 and when S/MUX enabled, 4 at 88.2/96 and 2 at 176.4/192 over a single TOSLink or coax connection. SDI can carry 4 48k pairs as auxillary data over a single coax cable. Then there are the CAT5/6-based heavyweights but unless you have 48 channels of DXD or 192 of DSD, you probably won't want them. AES47, at 8 192K channels, is probably the most reasonable but even this is well beyond most DIYers.

The AES specs are available free of charge at the AES website
www.aes.org. The IEC and SMPTE charge for their specs.

"compressed as DTS or Dolby digital loosing all the advantages you have using pure PCM"

This may be true for two chan music but for surround sacd that is not true. SACD does not allow you to set delays on most players as far as I know. If the SACD signal could be sent as some other signal digitally then I could use my receivers digital in rather then analog in and use the room EQ and digital delay.

DJNUBZ said:
"compressed as DTS or Dolby digital loosing all the advantages you have using pure PCM"

This may be true for two chan music but for surround sacd that is not true. SACD does not allow you to set delays on most players as far as I know. If the SACD signal could be sent as some other signal digitally then I could use my receivers digital in rather then analog in and use the room EQ and digital delay.

But that 'other' signal has to be something your receiver will accept and other than AC3/DTS over SPDIF, the only unencrypted game in town is DXD and I doubt your receiver will accept that.

Besides, compressing your sacd audio would most likely sound worse than using analog outs and having an additional a-d d-a stage in the receiver!
I don't think 3 cables is a huge problem for the benefit of 5.1 high resolution digital... and they can be pluggd straight in to any dac or signal processor.

Re: Pioneer DV 656A

dawsoo said:
Hi Oelrich this is great news!

You addon board is for family Pioneer 5xx ,but i have DV 656A ..... my question: this addon aviable plug into DV656? (unlimited SPDIF OUT for both hires format SACD + DVD-A)

Sorry for my very bad and siply english.

I have a DV656A and it does not convert DSD to PCM. It has a PCM1738E as main dac and a pair of DSD1702's doing surround duties and both dacs are DSD/PCM capable.

Re: Pioneer DV 656A

dawsoo said:
Hi Oelrich this is great news!
You addon board is for family Pioneer 5xx ,but i have DV 656A ..... my question: this addon aviable plug into DV656?
Well, I need this kind of player to say if it will work or not. But let's start with the D/A converters. What chips (type and manufacturer) are used within the 656A for D/A conversion? Please let me know.

Re: Re: Pioneer DV 656A

oehlrich said:

Well, I need this kind of player to say if it will work or not. But let's start with the D/A converters. What chips (type and manufacturer) are used within the 656A for D/A conversion? Please let me know.

Burr Brown PCM1738 for front channels and DSD1702 for Rear and center+Sw channel. Schematic service manual in pdf i allready own.

or free for here http://www.eserviceinfo.com/equipment_mfg/Pioneer_17.html

Re: Re: Re: Pioneer DV 656A

dawsoo said:
Burr Brown PCM1738 for front channels and DSD1702 for Rear and center+Sw channel. Schematic service manual in pdf i allready own.
The PCM1738 has a DSD mode. This means the player electronic may deliver DSD direct to the D/A converters while playing SACD. To check this please make a measurement for me:

While the player is playing music with a SACD inside please measure the signal at Pin 4 of the PCM1738. There should be a signal at 88.2 or 176,4kHz. If it is there the chance to insert the kit is very high. If this pin is connected to ground while playing SACD there is no chance.

If you find out that there is GND at this pin while playing SACD activate speaker correction or bass management in the palyer's setup and measure again this pin. In general if speaker management is on the DSD signal is converted to PCM and could be used.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pioneer DV 656A

oehlrich said:

The PCM1738 has a DSD mode. This means the player electronic may deliver DSD direct to the D/A converters while playing SACD. To check this please make a measurement for me:

While the player is playing music with a SACD inside please measure the signal at Pin 4 of the PCM1738. There should be a signal at 88.2 or 176,4kHz. If it is there the chance to insert the kit is very high. If this pin is connected to ground while playing SACD there is no chance.

If you find out that there is GND at this pin while playing SACD activate speaker correction or bass management in the palyer's setup and measure again this pin. In general if speaker management is on the DSD signal is converted to PCM and could be used.

Okay i trying this and reporting to you. And DVD-A funktionality is right?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pioneer DV 656A

dawsoo said:

Okay i trying this and reporting to you. And DVD-A funktionality is right?
DVD is always sent via PCM to the D/A. So there should not be a major problem. Please let us use private mail for further communication. I guess for the forum it should be enogh information if we post the result of our research.

Re: Request/recommendation for support of new player

cdwitmer said:
If you don't mind, I have a request to make. I would like to strongly encourage you to consider supporting the Yamaha DVD-S1500 universal player. To my knowledge, it is the only player which is capable of SACD and DVD-A which will also CONVERT between PAL and NTSC formats, so regardless of your television or where you live, you can use either PAL or NTSC software in your player. There are a few other inexpensive DVD players which do such conversion, but none of them support SACD . . .

This sounds like a worthwhile project.

If you have a S1500, could you take a close-up photo of the section with the DVD processor and the audio DAC? The photo must be good enough to read the printing in the IC.

Re: Re: Pio DV-565A

oehlrich said:

It definitely did not. The DV-565 uses a real DSD D/A and did not convert the DSD signal to PCM before it was sent to the D/A.
Sorry to say "no chance"

Ok, thanks. But does this mean that the DV-565 sounds inherently better than its successors, the 575/578? I think the 565 sold for EUR 400 whereas the 575 sold for eur 200, may be this explains the price difference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.