Hirez SACD and DVD-A digital output for Pioneer DV-575A and DV-578A (dsd to pcm)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Specification of the hires digital output board

Now as the PCB is up and running here some technical specs for the board

- The PCB is real DIY. Only standard components despite of the CS8606

- No changes at the housing of the player. All output is sent to the standard digital output

- The board outputs SACD with 88,2 khz and DVD-A with 96 kHz and 192kHz.

- The PCBs can be stacked to implement PCM 5.1. output. In this case you need additional connectors in the housing

- On the board there is a multiplexer which passes all other outputs despite the hires signals (44,1 kHz, 48kHz, 5.1, DSD, …) unchanged to the digital output of the player. This is especially important for Audio CDs recorded with emphasis and for all surround formats.

- Despite the standard output via the multiplexer the raw S/PDIF output (0,7V for coax) directly behind the CS8406 is available.

- Optional sample rate conversion is possible with an additional AD1896 to downsample 192kHz hires stereo tracks to 96kHz for receivers having no 192 kHz input.

Re: Re: Simple version

dieringe said:

It seems I was wrong, now it suddenly plays CD too!
All with one single chip! :D

I took a look at the datasheet. As far as I could see it is nearly identical with the CS8406 especially regarding the clocking scheme. This means that I did not believe that without a clock generator like my GAL there is a chance to output ALL formats from 44,1 to 192kHz.
The other drawback is that the chip outputs only up to 96kHz. The CS8406 outputs all till 192kHz.

I'm pretty sure you just would have to exchange it for the DIT4192 to get 192kHz. I don't have any machine that can handle that so 96 is enough for me

Formats: Probably the DV-585 has all types in the same format internally, that's why the DIT understands all of them.
I don't think the DIT4096 is intelligent enough to override my setting and change formats?

That's right, you would need a switch (logic) for changing fs.
I have no 192kHz-DVD so I can't try that.

I think I also have no CD with deemphasis, so I don't need that, too.
If I would find one, I would have to use the analog ouputs...
You are right, for completeness it would be necessary.

Work is done!

I like to give you an informationupdate about the tests for my hires PCB board.

Yesterday I managed to finish the final test regarding the sample rate converter on the board which could limit 192kHz outputs to 96kHz.

Anything works great. Today I will correct the errors I found on the PCB and will give V1.0 into production. I will order 20 boards!

As I heared for some of you the sourcing of the CS8606 is a problem. Therefore I decided to sell the board together with the two programmed and tested GALs and one CS8406.

I will charge for this package 78 Euros with all taxes handling and shipping included. Documentation will be provided online before I will start shipping on my webpage. I will provide parts list, component placement specification and photos how to install.

I will accept orders from now. To order first send me a mail with your name and address via the forum. I will return you my email address and you send 78Euros via PAYPAL to this address.

I will ship the packages as soon as I get the PCBs from production. I hope I can start shipping october 23 after some tests of the final board.

Oehlrich,

Well it sounds like someone is doing exactly what I was thinking about. I bought two 575's. Using one standard, stripped the other one as soon as I got it home to see what could be modded. I've built a second box, new power supplies, done a lot of chassis damping/ screening.

Looked at improving the output stage, then found those nasty single ended voltage output dacs and considered upgrading those. My biggest worry was that the player was configuring the dac according to the signal present.

My digital knowledge not being quite up to scratch, thats where I came to a bit of a halt. The original plan was to hijack the data and clock lines before the dacs and connect them to my pcm1794 dacs but it seems that to output all formats I may just require
your board!

Can you confirm that your board outputs 3 spdif signals for 5.1?
I would preferably like to output I2S signals so that I can bypass the input receiver in my dac and run straight into the 1794 thus eliminating the need for clock regeneration.
Does this sound like a plan? Or am I missing something!?

thejohn
one of my boards outputs only the stereo signal. But there is a good chance to do it the way you like with my board.
I2S could be taken directly from the D/A converters. Therefore no board is needed. So wire the I2S signal of all three D/As to your external converter.
The tricky thing is the MCLK signal you also need for the converter. This is a signal 128xFs. This signal is generated by the gals of my board. Take this signal to your external converter and it should work BUT......
The signals are quite fast so I did not expect you will get them to the external converter without loosing signal quality.
So it is a plan but to transfer TTL signals out of the player is not a good plan.
Better you build tree boards in your player and take the S/PDIF signals out. Not only SACD or DVDA will be transfereed but also CD and 48kHz output.
If a lot of people are interested in 5.1 maybee I will build a piggipack board to be plugged on the main board but this is future..

DJNUBZ said:
When will this kit be available? What will I need to buy along with the board?

I also want to make sure how it will work. Once I do the mod will all media be sent through the digital output or just sacd-dvda? Are there any other improvements that I can perform while I am doing this mod?

I hope the boards will be available in two or three weeks. Cuurently the boards are in production.
The board will be delivered togeter with the GALS and the CS8606 transmitter. All you need is a standars HCT244 and some Rs and Cs all material you get in any electronic store. I also will offer a version with the AD1896 included.
The board outputs S/PDIF for all formats, 44.1, 48, 96, 88.1(forSACD) 96 and 192kHz. If the player outputs non PCM (like coded 5.1) material it will also be output. So all will work the way it did but you will get hires digital output for SACD and DVDA.
I will place more material on my homepage till october 15. Having this material ready I will post it here.

Thanks Oehlrich,

So if I want 5.1 hirez spdif out I need 3 of your boards but if I take TTL out I can use one of your boards purely to generate the mclk for all 6 channels. Is this correct?

My external DAC's will sit directly below the player in a second box attached to the player. TTL wiring can go straight out hte bottom of the player to the dacs, maybe 75mm long. No connectors. Do you still see this being a problem? Any ideas on the best way to wire this to minimize losses? Or is this a bad idea?

thejohn said:
So if I want 5.1 hirez spdif out I need 3 of your boards but if I take TTL out I can use one of your boards purely to generate the mclk for all 6 channels. Is this correct?

My external DAC's will sit directly below the player in a second box attached to the player. TTL wiring can go straight out hte bottom of the player to the dacs, maybe 75mm long. No connectors. Do you still see this being a problem? Any ideas on the best way to wire this to minimize losses? Or is this a bad idea?

It is corretct that you have to use three boards to get three S/PDIF outputs for 5.1 in PCM. It is also correct to generate mclk for all tree channels with one of my boards.

The distance of 75mm is not very much. Just try it it may work. I recommend a ribbon cable with one ground wire between each signal. This should be sufficient. As far as I expect a connector would not decease signal quality too much.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.