high performance, low cost 5 inch 2-way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I just sold my SB13's. I was thinking maybe the RS125 next. The paper cone "reference" 8 Ohm looks pretty smooth and extended. I also have some Monocors I could try again; this time I will have a better idea of what can be expected in the under $50 US price range for a wide band 5 inch mid-woofer. The Satoris and Mark Audios have me spoiled for best in class accuracy, resolution and detail but I need a decent "B" system for late night but only with budget drivers. If nothing else, I can always get another pair of the SB13s if I decide I am not satisfied with the Daytons, Monocors or anything else I try for that matter.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I like the Zaph specs but am looking mostly at soft cones. How high have people crossed the Zaph? Maybe with a Zobel and 2nd order LP I could get high enough. I really like to cross to the tweeter above 4 KHz. Most people make fun of me for this but I have multiple reasons. I prefer metal and other hard cone only as woofers in a 3-way, I prefer paper and paper composites the best for small mid bass and mids. I'll take another look at the Zaoh though as I know they get great reviews and have a really high performance for the price.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Oon, I played with the 5 inch years ago. It is flat and smooth for sure but I can't honestly say the resolution or detail were anything but ordinary. I may try these next just because I have them very handy. They are smaller than the typical 5 1/4 inch driver, my SB13 and SPH 135 have the exact same bolt pattern for mounting, the Faital frame is smaller. People sometimes over look the Sd. For the best mids, all else being equal, I think 50^2 cm is on the small side and 100^2 cm is on the big side. Ideally; I like a wide band driver that can do 100 Hz to 10 KHz! That's why in my main system I use a MA full range with my Satori mids BOTH in the same band. NOT typical I realize, not for everyone also but it works very well for me. So, for broad mids, I prefer first order X/O at 300 and 6000 Hz. This keeps ALL phase shifts out of the most critical bands; that's a strong argument for why full range drivers are so very popular. For my "B" system, I want a nominal 5 inch that can go below 80 Hz in a closed box and go out about 4 KHz on the high end. The Faital Pro can do this for sure. The SB13 is very hard to beat here though as it is almost like a "poor man's" Satori at a fraction of the cost...more later...

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Augerpro; exactly why I like paper better in the mids and hard cones for woofers only. Paper isn't perfect but the self damping and mostly linear response over a very wide band is very important for a more neutral and natural sound quality; not to mention X/O is much easier and simpler. I really liked the Audax HDA Aerogel 4 and 5 inch but no one in North America seems to stock them. They are beyond the price range for this particular project...

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I really like midrange domes but they usually need to be crossed much higher and steeper. There are advantages, especially like when a dome mid and tweeter pair are matched and on the same faceplate; I'm sure they did their homework for a very wide and controlled dispersion pattern; something we have to really work for when mixing drivers and types.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
OK, SB13's packed and ready to ship to the buyer. I have two of my trusty Mark Audio Pluvia 7PHD FR mounted in a common box, the PE 0.56 flat pack box. I have this vented, tuning below 40 Hz. Running true fullrange. I think if someone is interested; I could maybe start a new link. Do a MTM (D'Appolito) with a tweeter of your choice. The P7P I call them does very well up to above 4 KHz; then it needs a tweeter. This paper cone was designed especially for the Japanese market; I always assumed because Fostex makes a huge range of super tweeters; they didn't care about the FR doing the top octaves. Anyway, we have here a very articulate system capable of 40 Hz bass and un-rivaled mids for the price range. Last time I looked, Madisound had the P7P's at a discount price. I have the box horizontal so the P7P's are side by side for stereo. These will also do nicely in the PE 0.23 flat pack box tuned for a single FR plus small tweeter...any interest??? let me know; you can PM me or maybe I'll start a new thread...

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Good find! Although, for the original intent and post here; I spent less than $100 US on 2 MW and 2 Tweeters not counting shipping. I had boxes and X/O parts on hand already. So far; I prefer Satori original Papyrus MR16 mids as my very favorite driver; I have the gray cone 4 Ohm. For the money; these are the best sounding drivers I have ever owned or heard. There are others of course that sound better or have better specs or higher performance for sure. My original goal and it still stands was to have a very high performance 5 inch 2-way at a very low cost. The SB13 PFCR does just that. For a budget system; it rates right up there as a Satori wanna be!

Good find! Although, for the original intent and post here; I spent less than $100 US on 2 MW and 2 Tweeters not counting shipping. I had boxes and X/O parts on hand already. So far; I prefer Satori original Papyrus MR16 mids as my very favorite driver; I have the gray cone 4 Ohm. For the money; these are the best sounding drivers I have ever owned or heard. There are others of course that sound better or have better specs or higher performance for sure. My original goal and it still stands was to have a very high performance 5 inch 2-way at a very low cost. The SB13 PFCR does just that. For a budget system; it rates right up there as a Satori wanna be!
If you got Satori MW pair for.less than 100.than this is absolute bargain good for.you

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
NO, not the Satoris; I meant the SB13 and tweeters combined. I paid full price for the MR16. Overall, SB is one of the best brands going for DIY. They share some of the same design Engineers from Scan Speak and Vifa, same as Wavecor. I think Satori is really the best bargain when you consider the very high performance for the price. TexTreme is the latest thing but some people are now saying the extra performance is NOT worth the MUCH higher price! I'm hoping the TexTreme prices will start to drop after the initial offerings.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
SB15MFC vs SB13PFCR...I like the wider FR and paper cone better even if the 15MFC might be a better quality driver. I like to cross higher than most, the 15MFC like the Aurum Cantus are probably best crossed at 3000 Hz or below

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/pdf/SB15MFC30-8.pdf

https://meniscusaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/SB-Acoustics-SB13PFCR25-8-Data-Sheet.pdf

The "humps" on the SB13 above 4000 Hz don't sound all that bad and are easily tamed with a single inductor; the other would most likely need 2nd order LP and possibly even a Zobel to tame them.

SB15MFC vs SB13PFCR...I like the wider FR and paper cone better even if the 15MFC might be a better quality driver. I like to cross higher than most, the 15MFC like the Aurum Cantus are probably best crossed at 3000 Hz or below

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/pdf/SB15MFC30-8.pdf

https://meniscusaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/SB-Acoustics-SB13PFCR25-8-Data-Sheet.pdf

The "humps" on the SB13 above 4000 Hz don't sound all that bad and are easily tamed with a single inductor; the other would most likely need 2nd order LP and possibly even a Zobel to tame them.

The SB13PFCR is cheaper version of the SB15MFC, the former MAYbe inferior, how does the older version SB15NRXC30-8 compares to the SB15MFC 8ohm how do they differ or are they similar?
Anyone can answer this question thks?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.