Hearing loss

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Roughly five years ago my daughter and I went for an audiometric test at the Communications Pathology at my work (University.) I have had tinnitus since 1999/2000. The test is done in a soundproof chamber to ensure no external influences can affect the test. The test indicated (as I recall) that my hearing starts dropping off at ~12.5 kHz with significant loss at ~14.5 kHz. I think it is time to have my hearing tested again - though I first want to go to for an annual checkup, and have my ear wax situation checked at the same time. Probably go the pharmacy and get some Waxsol prior to the check-up.
Thanks guys - seeing this has put a bomb under me ar*e.

P.S. If I use a drill, vacuum cleaner, anything noisy I use earplugs/ear-muffs. I even use earplugs if I go to the cinema due to the idiocy of turning up the sound too loud.
Kevin

Last edited:
To the OP, I must remind you that music is not pure tones, there are harmonics and limiting the range of your cabinets is a mistake. Try unplugging the tweeter from a borrowed cabinet (you'll need a good friend here) listen to some cymbals, do it again with the tweeter plugged in, and you'll see that there are audible differences.
Are you saying harmonics can be heard when pure tones can't?

Unfortunately for me, a JBL compression horn about 12" from my ear exploded with microphone feedback on stage many years ago. When it happened, I lost my sense of balance for about 10 minutes and was stone deaf for about 5.
To destroy a JBL compressino horn produces about 125dB of sound pressure until it stops, due to the speech coil burning up! That was a painful experience with no recovery.
That left me with a boiling kettle noise in my ear and a pink noise at around 5kHZ and above.
I also have difficulty hearing lower frequencies, so I am left with a very middle frequency response. Most people do not lose low frequency sensitivity, so a little different.
Luckily the body can feel bass and sub bass, much to the annoyance of my neighbours!
I have had various hearing tests and use an aid that boosts the higher frequencies which makes speech more audible.
The joys of working on stage with bands.

Last edited:
Roughly five years ago my daughter and I went for an audiometric test at the Communications Pathology at my work (University.) I have had tinnitus since 1999/2000. The test is done in a soundproof chamber to ensure no external influences can affect the test. The test indicated (as I recall) that my hearing starts dropping off at ~12.5 kHz with significant loss at ~14.5 kHz. I think it is time to have my hearing tested again - though I first want to go to for an annual checkup, and have my ear wax situation checked at the same time. Probably go the pharmacy and get some Waxsol prior to the check-up.
Thanks guys - seeing this has put a bomb under me ar*e.

P.S. If I use a drill, vacuum cleaner, anything noisy I use earplugs/ear-muffs. I even use earplugs if I go to the cinema due to the idiocy of turning up the sound too loud.
Kevin
Don't waste your money on special ear drops.
A drop of extra virgin olive oil applied to the ear is all you need to soften and remove the wax.

To all that have responded above, I thank you for your input and experience. I have tried some different tests than my original one and find that my hearing goes up to about 8khz as long as I increase the volume gradually to keep tracking the sound. A professional assessment is beyond my resources so this will have to be enough for now. I have been given a pair of KEF speakers by a friend. He had fried both tweeters by driving them at PA levels for outdoor parties. I stuck in a pair of Piezo "super" tweeters and the resulting sound was painfully sharp. After whacking in a pair of L-pads I managed to dial them down to what I felt was a reasonable sound balance. That was a few years ago now. I think its time to dig them out of storage and play with the L-pads a bit for further assessment. I have no mike or test equipment to get down to specifics. Thanks again to all.

I just wired them into the same place the old ones were using the factory crossover. Since that point in time I have read a lot about crossover design. It confirms I will never get my head around the design aspect even with all the free software at our disposal. In the end after a few disastrous failures I gave up the idea and took the advice elsewhere on this forum. I built an established design. Apart from the style and shape of the boxes, I stayed with the design and am delighted with the result. (The Tarkus design by Paul Carmody) My pair of KEF are only dragged out for experimental purposes.

I have some odd drivers and an off the peg crossover laying around that one day might get some attention but at the moment I'm too busy enjoying the Tarkus experience.

Are you saying harmonics can be heard when pure tones can't?

I am saying that there is an interaction when a musical note is generated at the air, between the fundamental and the harmonics produced. That is why there are supertweeters. Why are some that reach 60 Khz manufactured if no one hears more than 20 KHZ? Tannoy has a technical report on this, when she presented her first supertweeter, don't ask me where you can read it, I couldn't find it.

Last edited:
I am saying that there is an interaction when a musical note is generated at the air, between the fundamental and the harmonics produced.
Do you mean the harmonics modulate the fundamental?
That is why there are supertweeters. Why are some that reach 60 Khz manufactured if no one hears more than 20 KHZ? Tannoy has a technical report on this, when she presented her first supertweeter, don't ask me where you can read it, I couldn't find it.
Whether it's correct or not, the source is bandwidth limited, so it's academic ;)

I have run the frequency generator up to the point where I can no longer hear the tone. Then I twist my head to the side quickly. For a very short time I can then hear the tone. This does not work if done slowly. Doppler effect? Are the muscles in my neck and ear area temporarily changing the ear’s wave guide? Is blood being pumped to the area to enhance the ear function?

I have run the frequency generator up to the point where I can no longer hear the tone. Then I twist my head to the side quickly. For a very short time I can then hear the tone. This does not work if done slowly. Doppler effect? Are the muscles in my neck and ear area temporarily changing the ear’s wave guide? Is blood being pumped to the area to enhance the ear function?

I would lean towards that ....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.