HDD players with built in PCM1794 DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think that the very small parts already soldered
because they so small it is realy small chance to enyone to solder them
By hand... Did You saw some of that smallest chips sometimes in real?
it is difficult just to put them in the place for hot air soldering...
maybe I am wrong but I think that is kit a modular one,
wit soldered pcb-s?

Thanks Zoran. That would be great then. I did tried soldering PCM1794 chip before and it's not fun at all. I have to use braided wire just to seperate the shorted pins. It was successful but its a pain in the neck. I'm trying to avoid doing this over again.

Has anyone ordered the kit already? I sent an email to cndiyclub@hotmail.com to inquire about the pricing and shipping but no reply.

about group buy

Fred:

the kit is board-level finished, or you are not able to make it run if you are not trained in soldering(there is a 289 BGA chip). but, you might need to assemble the boards by yourself in to the case using a screwdriver.

here is a link showing how you could solder a SSOP chip: http://www.hifidiy.net/sztp/200706/t20070623_946.htm

anything you need me to do, just let me know. I could transfer your request to the owner of HIFIDIY, but before I could do this for you, prepare a question list. :)

and another issue about "jitter" of the player, sb. here iwas asking about the output jitter for the player, I could tell honestly the player from HIFIDIY is the best for the I2S output jitter.

most DSP use active clock output and DSP will not have good performance for the jitter. HIFIDIY's player use passive clock that generated by CODEC(WM8805), that will have very good jitter (less then 50ps), much better then active clock(more then 200ps)

and for the fiber output, there will be a PLL clock resample circuit by the fiber receiver, that will be better then the I2S output D/A regardless of active or passive clock.

for the sound quality, what I tested is: APE/FLAC/TTA decoded result is the same as the original un-packed WAV file. that means no any missmatch for the decoding circuit for the digital part, so, the only thing will affect sound quality, you need to check the ADC performance.

Hi Powerpan,

I think there's two things being offered by HIFI DIY, the CD-Pro2 and the HDD Player.

Since you are very kind enough to be our middleman, can you please confirm the pricing of both players? As what was posted on their website, the HDD Player cost Y1380 which is approximately equivalent to $202.00, correct me if I'm wrong. Is this the whole kit price with everything? How about the CD-Pro2? Can you also inquire the shipping cost?

I noticed the screen display of HDD Player was on Chinese characters, can this be converted to English? As what ECBLN asked, is there any SPDIF or I2S input or output options on both players?

Do they accept paypal?

Thanks for your tip in soldering small chips. Even though I can't understand Chinese but the picture explain more than thousand words.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

Fred

I will order one from these two players def.
But it is just a curiosity:
datas on the HDD are original un-packed WAV file
and that datas converting to APE/FLAC/TTA
APE, FLAC, TTA are different formats...
but it must be software decoded ?
(google for APE/FLAC/TTA)
If someone draws the path from WAV to I2S
it would be nice...
I already have IPOD HDD player...
Is it any difference ?
I dont know just asking...

Source code for the firmware would allow you to make it do anything you want. As it runs Linux, which is relleased under the GLP, they are required to provide the source code along with instructions and all necessary tools to build the firmware from source code. Not doing so is a violation of international copyright laws.

I would insist that they provide the source code as it is as important a part of this DIY project as the hardware. An email to gpl-violations.org would certainly get them to provide the required source package.

Ok, some update on the HDD player by cndiyclub.com

It uses a 1GB NAND gate based flash as buffer. For APE, FLAC files, they will be decoded by Blackfin, up-converted if asked, then the music data will be fed to the 1GB buffer. Wave files will be directly loaded from HDD to the buffer.

For outputs, the data from the buffer will first go through a reclocking circuit for reshaping. TI's DIT4192 (one of my favorites) is used for the output driver.

Right now the boards are ready. They are waiting for the factory to deliver the chassis. The complete player shall be available sometime in October.

The internet radio function may not be available to buyers outside China.

How about open source firmware? I will have to check on this. I am only interested in tweaking the up-sampling codes myself.

3.5" and 2.5" HDDs are both OK.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.