HDD players with built in PCM1794 DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think we need a diy member that know how to read and speak Chinese to be the middle man. Maybe he can a arrange a group buy, which would definitely lower down the price of the unit than buying individually. Do you think it's a good idea but the question is, who's going to do it. :xeye:

Ok ok, sorry for the late showing up. Both Purer/cndiyclub and hifidiy's host are my friend. Definitely I can help you all. However, I have to stress that I am not interested in making money or anything from any deals happening here. I can help but I will not lead the group buy. I'm just happy to server as a bridge between the west and east DIY communities.

Also dont be worried about being late on catching up the train. The hifidiy player will not be available until Nov. cndiyclub's has just passed the prototyping stage. If you want one, definitely you will be able to get one.

In the meantime, keep the discussion going, tell both what you want so they may consider adding it to the final product. Also tell them what your major concern is.

Hi Finneybear,

What do you think about these designs, after all the debate in the other thread I would love to know which one you like better. I have been looking for a product like this for my second system and I am definitely a potential buyer so please give us a hint at what we should be examining closer in the next few months, I personally do not speak or read Chinese :(

Nikola Krivorov said:
Hi Finneybear,

What do you think about these designs, after all the debate in the other thread I would love to know which one you like better. :(

My first choice would be with the large CDPro2 turntable as they call it.
It has many interesting features we do not see on the other model.
They have reclocked the output to reduce jitter, maglev suspension for the motor, nicer display and a very good look.

Nikola Krivorov said:
Hi Finneybear,

What do you think about these designs, after all the debate in the other thread I would love to know which one you like better. I have been looking for a product like this for my second system and I am definitely a potential buyer so please give us a hint at what we should be examining closer in the next few months, I personally do not speak or read Chinese :(

Let me give you some infos about both design teams.

Pure/cndiyclub is deemed as a "wonder kid" in China's DIY world. He's one of the very first setting up DIY websites in China and he's very young, only 25yo now, I believe. He's also famous for the quality of the stuff he puts out. The first version may be buggy, but his willingness to do it again and again until he's happy with the final design is also legendary. The whole process may take a long time though. He's also very picky about floorplan, layout, and signal integrity issues, etc. Most of his boards have the layout beautifully done. These days he's mostly doing designs for companies in America and Europe, etc.

hifidiynet's founder, the Pilerman, is a real people's person, very easygoing, very smooth. The great management skill allowed him to grow the sit to the biggest DIY site in China in 2-3 years! The best thing is that his openness allows him to attract good people over all China to work with him. The site always has several teams actively working on different stuff at the same time. Most designs are original ones, well thought of, and come out as complete kits. They are mostly mid-range designs yet with a potential to reach high ends. This time the HDD player is done by a pro team in southern China, I believe.

So which one is better? Well, I be honest have no concrete idea. To start with, both teams are fairly competent. Both will do final measurements on Audio Precision II. hifidiy's product is definitely more matured, will run smoother for now.

From the photos I can see that hifidiy's player is based on Samsung's S3C application processor (it happened that our Korean office had been involved in its development) which has a ARM9 processor running inside at 600MHz. The S3C processor has a I2S interface which can not do 24/192 so I assume that this I2S interface is by-passed (Pilerman assures me that the player can support 24/192 output).

cndiyclub's player is based on ADI's Balckfin running at 900MHz. The processor can do more but I am not sure whether you want this extra power or not.

The first thing I will check is whether the processor is able to decode APE, FLAC, etc files in faster than real time speed. Obviously both processors are capable on that. Next is how the output buffer is implemented to get a good output jitter spec. Again, both teams, especially Purer's, have quite a lot of experiences on dealing with jitter. The problem will be more about how much budget they would spend on this part of circuit. Big buffers and good XO are expensive.

Purer claims that his player can do 16/44 -> 24/192 upsampling with Blackfin yet I perfer to do this with my PC so hifidiy's player is fine with me, too.

Signal integrity wise, from the photo I can see the hifidiy's PCB is a bit sparse though not a real indicator on the board quality. I will have to see the schematics to get a better understanding. Same for cndiyclub's. The layout looks Ok to me so far but I dont have schematic to make the conclusion.

Purer just told me that certain functions, due to copyright issues, will be disabled for the players sold outside China. Yep, people in China do care about IP, OK?

He also said that the chassis is already under production so actually the player will be out in October.

To put things together, I think you will not go wrong with either one. At the same time, dont set your expectation too high either. The infos I have are still very limited.

Thanks for make it more clear,
from the infods on the web site
I think that booth are support SATA
but I did not saw the eternal connector...
at the chassis, maybe it is not bad idea,
to send a tip for that?
I am, at this time, for hifidiynet HDD...
But the main issue of booth design is
whats the quality of the buufer-clock system...
Because:
frequency of writing data into the buffer, and frequency of reading data from the buffer
has to be virtualy tha same...
If it is differs that inserting jitter..?

Zoran said:
Thanks for make it more clear,
from the infods on the web site
I think that booth are support SATA
but I did not saw the eternal connector...
at the chassis, maybe it is not bad idea,
to send a tip for that?
I am, at this time, for hifidiynet HDD...
But the main issue of booth design is
whats the quality of the buufer-clock system...
Because:
frequency of writing data into the buffer, and frequency of reading data from the buffer
has to be virtualy tha same...
If it is differs that inserting jitter..?

I will check more on the SATA/IDE/power connector issues for you, oK?

The write and read clocks of a FIFO do not need to be at the same frequency. Quite on the opposite, it's preferrable that the write speed to be faster than the read speed. As far as the processor can decode APE, FLAC faster than real time, it can always check the status signal of the FIFO. If the FIFO is about to become empty, it will just write more new data to fill up the FIFO then wait, a very simple handshake scheme.

The main problem of classic CD transport is that the read/write clocks are running at about the same speed, sometimes the write is faster, sometimes the write is slower. This can create lots of synchronization problem because the read clock can never wait for the write clock.

One very good solution is to use 40X CDROM drive to read the CD so the write operation can always wait for the read clock. You can find this sort of implementation in very high end players. I seem to recall there's one DIY company in China doing the same thing, too.

Personally I really cant see a good reason to spend big bucks on CDPro2.

Thanks about SATA conn.
Thats about write/read memory was useful...Thanks a lot.
It was logical for me too, first to fill the buffer, then read,
with that fast processors the players used it is not a problem,
I just read the info about same fr. at one japanesse article...
It stated that PCM1794 DAC is option for built in,
I2S bus is present...
I read at the data sheets that PCM1794 have I2S option
does the player has option for
maybe some other digital format
or just I2S?

Zoran said:
Thanks about SATA conn.
Thats about write/read memory was useful...Thanks a lot.
It was logical for me too, first to fill the buffer, then read,
with that fast processors the players used it is not a problem,
I just read the info about same fr. at one japanesse article...
It stated that PCM1794 DAC is option for built in,
I2S bus is present...
I read at the data sheets that PCM1794 have I2S option
does the player has option for
maybe some other digital format
or just I2S?

It should be I2S. You can see the connector on the main board.

about HDD APE player

I came from HIFIDIY.net and just know a little bit about the HDD APE player.

as far as I know, the player could support 1T SATA with a IDE2SATA convert board (main chip is JM20330).

I was glad that I'll be the first group to test the APE player, any problems, could send messages to me and I will try to reply if you guys couldn't get informations via google translate.

players should have popular platform for better network support, easier develop environment for further development. Linux is a good choice.

I don't have time to visit this site that often, please be patient :p

Hi Powerpan,

There you go! :D Now we're talkin'. Can you do the group buy?

On this HDD player kit, is the parts already soldered on the pcb? or still need soldering job? The reason I ask is because I have a hard time soldering the small chips pins. Is the $ 500.00 dollar price posted on the website, is the fully assmbled player or just the kit? Let us know.

Thanks,

Fred

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.