Great Waveguide List

Hello again Dave,

I did a little bit of research and it seems that these days there is no duty on goods of less than £135 ($210 at the moment) sent from outside the EU.
VAT is charged at 20% on the total cost to me ie price of goods, postage, packaging and insurance.

It now seems a lot more viable to order from you and I might well give it a go over the next few months!

PS: I posted this here rather than emailing you directly as it might be of interest for other UK/EU members.

I very recently received a follow up bill for VAT on an order that I thought came from the UK retailer.
But Onsemi had instead sent the order to another retailer that was not in the EU.
The semi's order was for $81 + $60 postage & packing for a foreign order,
Then they had the cheek to ask for £21 VAT and a further £20 handling charge.
The result is that $81 of semis cost me >£119

Sica Q07020A

Sica )) loudspeakers

Less than 9 € :)

SPECIFICATIONS
Throat Diameter ..................... 25.4 mm (1")
Cutoff Frequency .................... 1.50 kHz
Net Weightl ........................... 0.30 Kg
Horizontal coverage ................. 90°
Vertical coverage .................... 60°
Material............................... Plastic
Shape ................................. Elliptic

MOUNTING INFORMATION
Overall Dimensions ................. 200x160x100 mm
Baffle Cutout Dimensions .......... 167x129 mm
Mounting Holes ...................... 4 holes Φ5.0 mm

Attachments

• Elliptic_4f705a5574c74.jpg
    Elliptic_4f705a5574c74.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,284
  • 200x160.gif
    200x160.gif
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,303
The e jmlc 1000 would be what I'm truely interested in. Major ouch on the price makes that impossible.

Friend of mine up in NH sent an email telling me of his work related IT woes recently. Been months since we've chatted. One thing he mentioned was a brand new 3D printer that's just big enough to make this. It's in the unopened box on the kitchen table. Just sitting there for the last month, what a pity

Hi gainphile

How are the horn/XT25 mounted for your measurements? Are they on an IEC baffle, in a box or free standing?

Those measurements are in a box with a 10" x 14" baffle with 30 degree chamfers at 1 meter with a 5 second gating done on 10 degree increments from 0-90 horizontally.

If you go to the website and click on the Picasa link it will take you to all the guides available with measurements. I add new ones there first then I'll later add them on the website.

Dave

Last edited:
Hello Dave,
love your guides and your post makes them look even better but I love the possibility to have them custom-made for a particular drive!
Unfortunately shipping is the least of my worries there.

If a parcels contents is worth more than US$20 it attracts around 35% in duty and excise plus 20%VAT on the resulting total.

Regarding USPS: I once had subscription to a US magazine and due to prohibitive airmail cost I chose surface mail. Delivery took anything from a few days to over 8 weeks over the year the subscription lasted.

Despite all of this I'll keep your link because the WGs do look damn good!
In fact I think they are so interesting (at least to me) that if I were to know how to go on about it business-wise I'd offer to set up proper distribution for them.

I used his guides and can say they are worth the price based on the ease of mounting the tweeter and the appearance. I used the satin finish and I'm very happy with them. They are very natural sounding.

t2_zps1bb2e472.jpg

What about those "waveguide" pa coax speakers? Are they any good? Are there any disadvantages (apart from the price?). Perhaps reflections between cone and waveguide, but they can be crossed pretty low (1.5Khz) so wavelength should be long enough to not matter to much?

12HCX76 (Beyma and BMS offer similar chassis)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Those measurements are in a box with a 10" x 14" baffle with 30 degree chamfers at 1 meter with a 5 second gating done on 10 degree increments from 0-90 horizontally.
Dave

Thanks Dave. I just finished working on a 2-way with the ZA14 and the XT25TG30. Looks like the next step up is to use the XT25TG30 with your 6.5"x4.5" Elliptical Waveguides. Any means to get some loading on the lower end of this tweeter would be helpful. The XT25TG30 is excellent for the price but it's a pain in some areas.

What about those "waveguide" pa coax speakers? Are they any good? Are there any disadvantages (apart from the price?). Perhaps reflections between cone and waveguide, but they can be crossed pretty low (1.5Khz) so wavelength should be long enough to not matter to much?

They are darned good at what they do. Very popular the past few years designed into stage monitors("wedges").

I've had a design using the BMS neo 12" coaxial with a crossover designed by Curtis List in Michigan for almost four years. I get compliments on the stage sound regularly.

For hifi, there's certainly a good potential too.

Best regards,

John

Hello again Dave,

I did a little bit of research and it seems that these days there is no duty on goods of less than £135 ($210 at the moment) sent from outside the EU.
VAT is charged at 20% on the total cost to me ie price of goods, postage, packaging and insurance.

It now seems a lot more viable to order from you and I might well give it a go over the next few months!

PS: I posted this here rather than emailing you directly as it might be of interest for other UK/EU members.

I thought I would let you know that I just sent a set of guides that where listed for $80 to the UK using USPS. It took under 10 days for shipping and the cost of shipping was just under $20. There where no other import charges once they got there. So far I've been able to ship this way to just about anywhere with the same results.
Looks like I could send several sets in one package and be around $26 for shipping.
Dave

Thanks Dave. I just finished working on a 2-way with the ZA14 and the XT25TG30. Looks like the next step up is to use the XT25TG30 with your 6.5"x4.5" Elliptical Waveguides. Any means to get some loading on the lower end of this tweeter would be helpful. The XT25TG30 is excellent for the price but it's a pain in some areas.

The XT25/60 is the double magnet version. It cleaner on the low and and the added efficiency makes it a few DB higher than the distortion. Its also only about 4 dollars more than the 30. To load the XT25 lower you need a wider wave guide. The 8.5" wide version gets you additional loading to 1500hz. Even if you cross at 2K you would want the added low end loading.

I bought 2 sets from Dave.

ZA14 is such a small driver that a large wg is not needed unless one has LR2 xo. around 2,2 -2,5 would be close I think. There is a general guideline that the wg diameter should be same as the woofer.

My Amphion Helium2 is performing quite nice, xo 2,2 propably LR2 acoustic.
With shorter 12ms gating and 1/12 smoothing we can see the Peerless HDS134 cone showing it's hickup right at the onset of directiviy

Attachments

• Amphion Helium2-horz.jpg
    Amphion Helium2-horz.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 798
  • amphion he2 0-90 12ms 112.png
    amphion he2 0-90 12ms 112.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 799
Last edited: