Great Waveguide List

ZA14 is such a small driver that a large wg is not needed unless one has LR2 xo. around 2,2 -2,5 would be close I think. There is a general guideline that the wg diameter should be same as the woofer.

My Amphion Helium2 is performing quite nice, xo 2,2 propably LR2 acoustic.
With shorter 12ms gating and 1/12 smoothing we can see the Peerless HDS134 cone showing it's hickup right at the onset of directiviy

1.5k cross

I thought I would let you know that I just sent a set of guides that where listed for $80 to the UK using USPS. It took under 10 days for shipping and the cost of shipping was just under $20. There where no other import charges once they got there. So far I've been able to ship this way to just about anywhere with the same results.
Looks like I could send several sets in one package and be around $26 for shipping.
Dave

I would really like to know how the SEAS 22TFF H1280-06 would do in a waveguide.
For a tweeter that cheap it measures very well indeed but on its own it has an annoying treble boost of a few dB which may actually be an advantage once waveguided.
The only problem is that I guess I'd have to post one to you and then cost escalates dramatically and I might as well just spend the money on XT25s like SpinMonsters or D2608s.

ZA14 is such a small driver that a large wg is not needed unless one has LR2 xo. around 2,2 -2,5 would be close I think.

I decided against the ZA14. I eventually used the 6.5" Silver Flute to go with the WG. In the Canary-II, I brought the crossover down to 2kHz. Absolutely no issues with distortion.

I'm planning to replace the SF with the Peerless 830874. I'm quite sure the Peerless will outperform the SF.

"1.5k cross"

I have measured the Helium with W inverted. Xo is actually closer to 2,5 than 2.2. The form of dip matches LR2. I have accidentally deleted the .mdat.

Amphion Helium2 was a really magnificient speaker. Now 510 is in production.
Is that electrical or acoustic? MFG specs 1.5kHz, several reviews claimed the same. Looks like some sats I built some 30 years ago :)

I would really like to know how the SEAS 22TFF H1280-06 would do in a waveguide.
For a tweeter that cheap it measures very well indeed but on its own it has an annoying treble boost of a few dB which may actually be an advantage once waveguided.
The only problem is that I guess I'd have to post one to you and then cost escalates dramatically and I might as well just spend the money on XT25s like SpinMonsters or D2608s.
Your lucky day kind of . I just finished up last night testing the 22TAF/G and the 27TBC/G
The 27TBC/G did fantastic leaving the faceplate on, which it is not removable the way the terminals are attached. It worked well in every shape guide I tried.
https://picasaweb.google.com/101632266659473725850/Seas27TBCG

The 22TAF/G had an issue with a dip at 12kHz on axis. it was not bad at 10 degrees and gone by 20 degrees. I was able to remove it putting a 1/2 round by 1/16" piece of felt on the screen but it also attenuated the top end by about 4 dbs. I was able to remove the screen but the dome is recessed below the surround. I can usually get rid of the dip by reducing the throat size but I need to get close to the dome. In this case I would have to put the guide below the face of the surround to get close enough and that just does not give good results.
These measurements are all with phase plug except the last one.
https://picasaweb.google.com/101632266659473725850/Seas22TAFG

Dave

Last edited:
Dave, I think the reason the 27TBC/G looks so good is because it supports a phase plate. Its just a clear flexible round polymer adhered to the hexagrid but it performs the same function for dispersion as the XT25's phase plug. In a waveguide it would do the same thing as the XT25. I like the combination.

The TBFC/G looks to be the newer model but otherwise the same.

Last edited:
I can remember someone modding the DXT driver, he put the lens on top of TBFC/G and the response was better than the default 27DXT. That small patch of pvc film really works like magic!

I had the TBFC/Gs in my Zaph L18 annd I really liked them. Now my ER18DXT carry the default DXT.

How did the L18 sound?

I modded it to ER18DXT 5 years ago, this is vague... I really liked it's bass and treble! Perhaps it was a little sharper in many ways than ER. Room measurement showed some dipping around 2kHz. I still have the REW measurements but they were done with a laptop's built-in mic.

I had messed the phases of W and T and had lots of trouble trying to figure out when everything was right for both. Then MarkK introduced his ER18DXT and I made a swap in november 2007 - I guess I was one of the first! I used the box of L18 with offset tweeter and chamfered box edges.

Last edited:
A flashback to Amphion Helium2 - Greebster was right! It has LR4 at 1,5kHz.

My speaker came with wrong polarity, just like the one measured by Stereophile! I don't know if it was some batch or all of them, I couldn't find anything about it at Finnish forums. The red wire was attached to woofer's plus. I inverted it and took new measurements.

Another peculiar feature of it is the rear port's noise at 800Hz. The supplied plug reduces it 10dB and blocks reflex. The port makes the hickup at 800Hz seen in my measurements! hickup at 150Hz is the ceiling and at 400Hz the floor.

Attachments

• helium2 0¤ xo invert phase step csd.png
    helium2 0¤ xo invert phase step csd.png
    539.6 KB · Views: 987
  • amphion he2 open plug block 0-90 12 120ms.png
    amphion he2 open plug block 0-90 12 120ms.png
    561 KB · Views: 948
Thanks Dave!

Well, I still think it's my lucky day. Any result is better than not knowing.

Would the 27TBC/G guides fit the 27TDFC which seems identical except the dome material and the metal(?) grid?

The guides for the 27TBC/G are the same guides as the 22TFC/G but uses a different size mounting plate. The diaphragm sizes are different but the diameter of the surrounds are the same. Fitting tight around the protective screen requires a 1-9/16" throat size for both.

If I had to guess if the 27TDFC would fit probably. Would it perform well I would guess not. I usually do not get that good of a top end on a tweeter when fitting the guide around the surround especially over the face plate. I was surprised the 27TBC/G did so well. I'm assuming it has to do with the flatter aluminum dome.

Dave

Dave, I think the reason the 27TBC/G looks so good is because it supports a phase plate. Its just a clear flexible round polymer adhered to the hexagrid but it performs the same function for dispersion as the XT25's phase plug. In a waveguide it would do the same thing as the XT25. I like the combination.

When I saw that and noticed the 22TAF did not have one and had the dip at 12kHz that's when I started experimenting with it. I tried the clear shield on the inside and it did not do much at all. Same thing on the outside. Interestingly the felt tip the same diameter 1/16" thick on the outside of the mesh screen removed the dip but also attenuated the 15-20kHz by about 4 dbs. I tried different sizes and shapes and none was as good. I tried a few different size cylinders on top of the felt and a 1/4" diameter by 3/8" tall cylinder boosted the top end back up but the 12kHz stayed the same creating a dip again. I tried the cylinder alone and it made no improvement.

In my experience when I've experimented with phase plugs it really doesn't fix the problem but can help. I'm not sure it's really worth the effort. I'm not sure you could hear the dip at 12kHz anyway. It is gone at 20 degrees off axis. I think it's more of a visual thing if you see it you think there is a problem. This is just my opinion. Since I can only hear up to about that point anyway.

Dave

Megaton, Czech production, comprises horns and waveguides, made of aluminium and they publish their own measures
eShop | prodance.cz

They have some interesting shaped horns
attachment.php

Looking at the finish they appear to be molded in the Isengard :D
attachment.php

Nevertheless I like them. Remains me from the old days when 'high tech' was measured in kilograms :D

Attachments

• 411020.jpg
    411020.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 3,570
  • Isengard_Informant.png
    Isengard_Informant.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 1,704
Only thing with Prodance is that ordering can be difficult due to linguistic problem. A friend of mine who has regular dealings in CZ will bring me back some C9090. The prices are more than OK too and BTW, they also have some JBL "inspired" horns...

Yes, they do look a bit rough but as long as the thread hole is OK...Anyway, I've seen articles about comparions made in the 1980s/1990s, between rough surfaces and smooth surfaces inside horns. The former was said to be advantageous in many cases. One can still polish the bits one dislikes, I guess.