• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Great CDROM control KITs for sale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Having received kit a while ago the aluminum for the chassis arrived today! I thought you guys might like to have a look ;). Its only in its very bare state at the minute. I plan to have the ali plates bead blasted to fit in with my amp :D So here are two pics for you.

Attachments

• p1110444.jpg
    p1110444.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 492
Hi Vidalgo

Yer the heatsinks on this are just to make the walls! they are the 50mm versions of the 100mm i used for my amp, so purely a design thing. Oh and the voltage regulators and bridge rectifiers will be mounted on them, not that need anything like 0.5 k/w thermal resistant heatsinks. Part number for those is SK56 made by fischer elektonik. not easy to get hold unless you have an account with the uk supplier ;)

Hi Woodturner-fran

The for the control buttons I will turn some from ali rod on a centre lathe. The button will have a shoulder on it to stop it falling out the front.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The PCBs are mounted on to a vertical plate of ali using standard pcb pillars that i got from rapid electronics.
http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fasteners-Production-Equipment/Fasteners-Fixings/Fixings-PCB-Pillars/Hexagonal-male-to-female-spacers-brass/64767

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'll try an submit some more images latter if you'd like

Thanks for the replies guys!

Hi LA/Ben,

What kind of DAC do you have there beside your CD transport? Where did you buy it? Is it compatible with CD SPDIF output?

How many kinds of SPDIF output in CDs and DVDs? I know that some have SPDIF PCM and some are SPDIF TTL as what Radioman62 mentioned. I just want to make sure that I will be buying the right DAC

Thanks,

Fred

Hi Fred.

I got the DAC off ebay

Audio Specifications: (from ebay)
Digital / Analog converters: CS4397 24bit 192khz DAC
Digital receiver : Crystal CS8416
Master clock jitter: below measurable levels
Digital input: Coaxial and Optical
Analog output: RCA 2V rms. @75 ohms

Features: (from ebay)
1) 3 separated individual precision voltage regulator.
2) High precision 1% metal film SMD resistors and metal capactors,
3) DUAL-FET op-amp NE5532 for the output stage.
4) A pair high quality RCA sockets for analog output.
5) On board jumper to select the digital input ( coaxial or optical ).
6) High quality ELNA and WIMA capacitors.

The DAC has a coaxial socket which I used to connect it to the pioneer drive. The digital output voltage of the drive is 1.69 volts which I thought was a little odd what do you think? I have linked the cd transport to the DAC and it seems to work fine.

To my knowledge.
TTL = 5v
SPDIF = 0.5 - 1 V

I would say that you should try to measure output voltage from the digital out your drive. I used my multimeter on the dc setting to get my 1.69v any know if that's right?

This is my first project involving a DAC so my knowledge is not great. Hope this is of some help to you.

Thanks Ben for the feedback. You're project is looking good. You can probably compete your cd player with high dollar amount cd commercial players. Keep us posted on your project. That makes me interested to build one but I'm really busy with my work right now. No time for DIY, but maybe next year.

Cheers! :drink:

Fred

billyk said:
Looking for a kit, any left?

Hi billyk

I don't think BBP has any left

quote: Originally posted by Chispa If there are any left I would love to buy two. Hi Chispa, there's only one left If you need it, please contact me with email bbp6604560 'at' hotmail.com regards Lu

I have no idea if he's going to make any more. But there is this other thread with a similar kit.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132313&highlight=

hope this helpfull to you;)

Hi fred

Thanks for your reply. I'll post some pictures soon of the the progres.

Koifarm said:
I have found the perferct drive for my cd player project. This is the pioneer DVD-106S with slot in. This drive makes no sound at all when playing audio CD.

Hi, Koifarm

I have used one of those slot loading pioneer drives they are very good and very quiet. They don't make much noise when playing. I just find loading and ejecting a little noisy but this did get quieter when I put it in a 4mm ali chassis.

Mines not a DVD-106S but a DR-704S slot loader its cd version of the dvd drive you have.
I have also tried a tray pioneer dvd drive also very quiet with a nice smooth tray mechanism. I would recommend pioneer drives.

Koifarm said:
I have found the perferct drive for my cd player project. This is the pioneer DVD-106S with slot in. This drive makes no sound at all when playing audio CD.

Hi Koifarm, some IDE drivers is not a 100% standard device, so compatible do exist.

Maybe you should add a DAC follow your DVD-ROM, to most of the CD-ROM DVD-ROM, the sound quality are not good from the analog output.

regards
Lu

mischa72 said:
Hi Lu,

On a Dutch forum we are going to build something like 10 of these cd-players. Almost all of the builders use a separate dac, some of them (me for example) are going to equip the player with a tube output stage.

Regards,
Mischa

Hi Mischa,

Do you need something more from me ? :)

To build cd player based CD-ROM, you may need these things below:

CD-ROM / DVD-ROM /CD-RW ...
Controller and displayer for the CD-ROM
Power supply Unit
Digital Output Unit
Tube output Unit
Chassis
Cable

best regards
Lu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.