GOTO 6-way TimeAligned Horn System

Great, thank you! It is interesting to evaluate the possibility of using this construction for my system. Is it possibly to modify it to use with 4" throat GOTO 146LD ?
I think it is perfect idea to try to implement subBass with GOTO 146LD.

Yes, you could. But it seems like a little waste of a great driver to use it for a sub. EVM 18B or JBL 2040, 2041 etc would do the job just fine.

Angelo, you are very much wrong regarding horns coloration and horn before mouth test (sorry to say this :) )
Horn is an acoustical amplifier which amplifies only selected range, which depends on horn's profile. So, when you put horn before your mouth you get equalized sound, so of course it sounds colored. So, yes, you can't get natural sound by using one horn. But with 6 you can :)
With each of horn you can amplify selected range and combine them to one linear frequency response. But from my experience, coloration comes because of reflection from the edge of horn. Same coloration you have from conventional speakers because of reflection from speaker surface. With LeCleach you can eliminate this. So, LeCleach horns are less colored than conventional speakers, I believe.
Another problem with long horns is that frequencies much higher than horn's profile fs are coming with huge coloration, so it is important to be sure that this sound will be attenuated enough.
So, horns are perfect when coocked right :)
Amen to that!!!!! Or they can sound terrible (like many VOTs do)

Interesting...can you show some pictures ? What is the size of mouth, length and which driver do you use ?

My post #64 shows the floor firing 35Hz sub. Here's my other system with floor firing 80Hz horn. This arrangement allows for a near-field listening environment which is particularly suitable for smaller listening rooms.

Attachments

• speakers.jpg
    speakers.jpg
    817.3 KB · Views: 820
A labor of love...people who aren't into off-the-deep-end-audio will never understand...25Hz? Isn't it a little aaa...optimistic? I calculated the size for 1/4 size mouth for my 35Hz floor firing sub as about 1560 inch sq. 25Hz mouth would by enormous. What is it, 1/8 size?

That clip sounds nice, you have the same recorder as me. Which mic did you use, the XY or MS?

I'm waiting for more pictures/sound clips of those massive bass horns. :cool:
I'm using XY, but also got Rode M5 for better quality.
I'll post sound from Rode later.
Now I want to share my new findings.
My fight with 270hz horn is ended up with adding another horn to the stack!
Initially it was 270hz LeCleach with 1" GOTO SG-505 covering 300-1200hz, than I made it shorter, but after all I put SG-505 in 550Hz Azua horn to cover 600-1200hz and JBL 2490 in 270hz with 4" throat to cover 300-600hz.
And it looks even better :)
image.jpeg.f11806b63a64aa694fa99b5195487eb8.jpeg

How would you describe midbass quality (400 - 80 hz) compared to you former straight/non-folded horn?

Great thread and superb system!

Best regards

Gisle

This is exactly the region where I put most of my attention now.
I have quite short horn (200hz LeCleach) to cover 150-300hz.
And below this I have different options.
GOTO SG-146, 15" Supravox and even 21" ported sub!
And tapped horn, of course.
Before "inventing" 15" Supravox in straight horn, I had 3 ways below 150hz!
80-150hz - GOTO 146 in long string horn
40-80hz - 21" ported sub
20-40hz - tapped horn.
This bass is great, but too much furniture for my room.
Now all of them are replaced with single 15".
But still I'm thinking how to make GOTO sound lower than 150hz...80hz will be really great! And I have one idea - I'll share later!