GOTO 6-way TimeAligned Horn System

400hz JMLC is not appropiate for using down to 400hz. It can be done, but it wont be horn loading around there...

Also Supravox, is it the 480-2000? If so you would be better off using it from at least 80hz as it flattens out and responds nicely from there. Between 70-80hz to 500-600hz you can have good sound with a proper horn. It covers those 3 octaves nicely. To do this and horn load it properly, you need at least a 60hz cf horn, which would be too big and would be hard to align physically if round tractrix or JMLC... Maybe you can use these plans with your supravox drivers. (model them and have a rough idea before doing it) JBL 2240 60hz midbass horn - The Paper Horn by Inlow Sound.
No, for this range I'm going to use 146LD. They are truly unique drivers and they deliver fantastic bass! I never ever heard so many details in bass. For orchestra and piano it is quite important.
Today I've measured and listened the result of 146LD in my half 2m LeCleach horn and get exactly what I've expected 70-400hz!

From above this, you can have a 200hz tractrix horn and your GOTO SG-570BL to cover from 500hz up to roughly 4000hz. I see you can have this built out of wood too.
This is doesn't work for me. I've tried GOTO SG-505TT in 270Hz and decided that I don't like long horns. I hear coloration from second octave up. Shorter horn is better. So, now I'm using 400hz LeCleach for 400-1200hz.

Below 70-80hz, tapped horn will satisfy you. If you want to have less room modes in your room. Go crazy (as you already seem to be :) ) and build two tapped horns for your room.
I have 2 and ordered another 2, but than suspended my order. Now I want to be sure that they work well when TimeAligned. If not TimeAligned, I hear huge delay in bass. So now I'm using Supravox 400-2000EXC for 20-70hz. And I don't understand how I have 20hz from it, but I have it!
TH sounds heavy and too slow...may be I'll try my 5m horn again, but when I'll be ready to timealign with second DAC delay.

So you can cover; (these are rough estimations, not your precise xo points)
20hz to 80hz with tapped horns from volvotreter site (the one I built, full scale)
80hz to 640hz with inlowsound 60hz horn with supravox 15"
640hz to 5120hz with 200hz horn and GOTO SG-570BL
5120hz to 20.000hz with GOTO SG-188BL

This setup, if matched with very precise and good crossovers and precise alignment can potentially be very good. I do not know about inlows 60hz horns but it looks like it can work. This setup will also be about 180cms high! which is great for a fully horn loaded setup (except the tapped horns)
After all experiments, I'm fan of LeCleach short horns, so inlowsound 60hz and 200hz horn with 1" throat sounds terrible for me :)
Anyway, thank you for your suggestions, I'm always glad to see some other ideas. But with horns I already did a lot of experiments. I have almost all frequencies and tried everything to finally choose the best for my taste.

If you want you can add your ribbon tweeter and do not go all the way with the sg-188bl. I don't know, as I havent heard these goto drivers.
RAAL is best from 14k+, I believe.

I want to remind you, my experience has shown me, only when the correct attenuation levels, crossover slopes, correct horn implementation and alignment is reached, the horn shouting and similar artifacts disappear. Then, correct positioning in the room and the room treatment will be your concern :)

I hope you reach your satisfaction. You may want to spend more time on a specific and a logically laid out plan and then do less changes. Make stuff work, whatever you buy regardless of price wont be working right away without tuning them properly.

From what I have read, what you call horn coloration can be because you are pushing your horns too much. This is counter intuitive as you have a lot of channels (horns and drivers). Why are you pushing your horns down to their cf? The reason you are having more channels is so you wont be pushing your drivers and horns unnaturally. Be at least half octave above cf, preferably be an octave above.
I don't see any reason not to use horn from cf, but I see a lot of reasons not to use more than 2 octaves from cf. Short horns without compression is my way here. And I really love the result I have.

Hornfabrik in Germany has helped me with my crossovers. Maybe you can talk to Helmut there. They are building crossovers for their own and design for very expensive commercial and diy systems.
What is specific in their work ?
Why not to do it by yourself ?

Angelo, to answer your question, I tinker with the audio equipment maybe 1 hour or 2 hours a trypical week and listen to music about 3 to 5 hours every night. I plan a lot beforehand though. I read and I calculate if I can. Every once in a while, if I make a big change, I spend about half of a weekend measuring, then the rest listening. If I make small changes, I let them stay for at least 2 weeks and listen before making another change. Sometimes I take more time.

I am single, and I am also a musician and a music studio owner (as a hobby now). I spend all my money on records, audio equipment and instruments. I do not own a tv or cable. I watch a movie through my projection but again with my stereo for sound.

I have thousands of records and thousands of cd's. I also make recordings and listen to them through studio monitors and my hi-fi. I am very lucky to be in this position. I hear and record the actual performance, I know my microphone and its character as the rest of my recording equipment. So I know what should my hi-fi play. This is something I really like people to experience as well. This is the best way I have found to evaluate if my playback is actually high fidelity.
Very interesting, Kodomo, to listen to your system one day.
I'm visiting exhibition sometimes in Istanbul, are you not far from there ?
And you are welcome to my home when in Moscow!

I know, i know.... gone all through this. But dynamics is not everything.
To have the most satisfying result is a balance act of several aspects that need to be considered. In Audio, everything is a trade-off. I might have not the same dynamics as a full horn loaded system, but i win other pluses.

Angelo, can you record your system and post link here ?

Much bigger that I expected :)
image.jpeg.9487670f81e4d3eceabf37c005e8ba33.jpeg

Single GOTO SG-146LD connected:
image.jpeg.f845b8c21a7d470d35e2e4918e5235f4.jpeg

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Well, to be honest, I can't see the necessity of 6 ways. And to add to that, the horn in the bass doesn't really add up to what's needed, infact you lose a lot of potential in the xo, especally if you want to go passive. You can save at least 2 ways if you go partly acitve. Furthermore, you don't use the bandwidth of any of the drivers, so you are wasing potential. To use passive xo leaves much more performance out with 6 ways than you would with i.e. 4 ways because there's absolutely no necessity to use that much ways since every of the component is capable of covering at least 1 more octave without any compromise. Thus said, you could also go easily go for 4 or 3 ways with even better results. Except you are only out for the 'fame' of building a 6-way. :rolleyes:

Well, to be honest, I can't see the necessity of 6 ways. And to add to that, the horn in the bass doesn't really add up to what's needed, infact you lose a lot of potential in the xo, especally if you want to go passive. You can save at least 2 ways if you go partly acitve. Furthermore, you don't use the bandwidth of any of the drivers, so you are wasing potential. To use passive xo leaves much more performance out with 6 ways than you would with i.e. 4 ways because there's absolutely no necessity to use that much ways since every of the component is capable of covering at least 1 more octave without any compromise. Thus said, you could also go easily go for 4 or 3 ways with even better results. Except you are only out for the 'fame' of building a 6-way. :rolleyes:

Starting with 3 ways, extending up to 8...I'm now back to 6 and for me this is optimal configuration. To add one octave to each way I'll need longer horns!
But longer horn I have - more coloration I get in higher octaves. For example, I can use 3m long horn for 146LD and use it from 50hz up to 1000hz, but 1000hz from deep 3m tube is very specific sound :) Even 1000hz from quite short 270hz horn was not ok for me and I was trying to shortern my horn, so till now I was using 600hz horn for 600-1200hz and just yesterday decided to extend from 400hz to 1200hz. Horn become a little longer, but still ok. So, in this regard, I have no choice. I need to keep horns short to play 2 octaves. Also I'm using sharp low-pass filters (3rd order) to be sure that higher octaves will not come out and color sound of entire system.
From another point of view, you can consider my system as 4 ways with sub and supertweeter. When I get GOTO's 15" it will be completely GOTO's idea (5way) with supertweeter. Switching off RAAL will not change the sound dramatically...it is just a little better resolution in 10khz+ range.
But I agree, that in HF one driver is actually ok to cover 1200-20khz, because 1000hz horn is very short and I don't see any problem why not to cover the whole HF range. But GOTO is offering 2 drivers for this range and their response is flat in corresponding parts of this range, so there is no way to use only one.

Last edited:
Last week I've visited Lukasz from Autotech, who is producing horns for DIYers and auditioned his system. I liked it very much and it is just 3 ways, but very clever!
HF works in very short 1000-2000hz horn and MF in much shorter version of 270Hz, so as a result - no coloration at all. Very clear and open sound!
Bass implementaion is very interesting - transmission line!
And it looks fantastic! I think, that I'm going to implement some of his design ideas in my system :)
LL

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Starting with 3 ways, extending up to 8...I'm now back to 6 and for me this is optimal configuration. To add one octave to each way I'll need longer horns!
But longer horn I have - more coloration I get in higher octaves. For example, I can use 3m long horn for 146LD and use it from 50hz up to 1000hz, but 1000hz from deep 3m tube is very specific sound :)

Well, you could easily use other types of horns, it doesn't have to be spherical horns.

Also I'm using sharp low-pass filters (3rd order) to be sure that higher octaves will not come out and color sound of entire system.

Well, that's the thing I was wondering because 3rd order filters aren't exactly sharp if you are using the horn for only one octave, they are overlapping with the next driver above and below with -9dB or less difference for half of their reproduction band. I'm not saying you are doing it wrong but that's not exactly sharp xo at all for a 6-way speaker.

Edit: No, it's ofcourse -9dB or less for the WHOLE reproduction band, forgot the other end.

But I agree, that in HF one driver is actually ok to cover 1200-20khz, because 1000hz horn is very short and I don't see any problem why not to cover the whole HF range. But GOTO is offering 2 drivers for this range and their response is flat in corresponding parts of this range, so there is no way to use only one.

Well, you could use another driver?

Last edited:
Last week I've visited Lukasz from Autotech <snip>

Yes, floor firing bass horn - that's what I did! (I believe I've published the photo a while ago) This configuration creates an exquisite near-field listening environment that is particularly suitable for smaller listening rooms. And the mouth is much smaller because the entire are between the floor and the horn becomes the mouth. And I urge you to try 300Hz tractrix horn in the midrange. You are on the right track!

Last edited:
Well, that's the thing I was wondering because 3rd order filters aren't exactly sharp if you are using the horn for only one octave, they are overlapping with the next driver above and below with -9dB or less difference for half of their reproduction band. I'm not saying you are doing it wrong but that's not exactly sharp xo at all for a 6-way speaker.

Edit: No, it's ofcourse -9dB or less for the WHOLE reproduction band, forgot the other end.
May be one day I'll try digital crossovering with higher order. Interesting to evaluate it by myself.

Well, you could use another driver?
I used almost everything and GOTO is the best!

Yes, floor firing bass horn - that's what I did! (I believe I've published the photo a while ago) This configuration creates an exquisite near-field listening environment that is particularly suitable for smaller listening rooms. And the mouth is much smaller because the entire are between the floor and the horn becomes the mouth. And I urge you to try 300Hz tractrix horn in the midrange. You are on the right track!

Yes, I remember! Your version was quite huge :)
I'm still trying to TimeAlign the whole system without digital things to allow myself to connect vinyl one day. I'm not sure that I need it, but still want to try to keep it in this way if possible. I have one idea, will post later when have some drawings to share.

So, now it is 6 way:
1. 14k+ RAAL Lazy Ribbon 9"
2. 5k-14 GOTO SG-16TT
3. 1.2k-5k GOTO SG-370DX in 1000hz LeCleach
4. 450-1.2k GOTO SG-570BL in 400hz LeCleach
5. 70-450hz 2xGOTO SG-146LD in 120hz half LeCleach
6. 20-70hx Supravox 400-2000EXC

Top of the line HF GOTOs just arrived, so next experiment will be to replace 16 with 180 and 370 with 3880. Both with beryllium diaphragms!